FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 08:21 AM

Well, It's not all set up 100% yet, but just about, so I figured I would grab the camera and take a few shots. So without further ado, my 2011 garden~

First, here is a shot down the length... My garden is 25' x 50' and I could used twice this much!
Posted Image

These are my bush beans popping up in 23' rows, with 4 rows per bed.
Posted Image

Tucked into this corner is my herb garden planted in a nice big container. These will be planted in a raised bed once I build one along the right side of the garden fence.
Posted Image

These rings here in the center are my corn & butternut squash (kinda a two sisters garden) :D Planted in the tomato cages are 8 cucumber plants. (Burpee White Wonder)
Posted Image

In this planter near the gate are my hot peppers. Two Jalapeno's and a Harbanaro.
Posted Image

Now onto the tomato trellis. I started out with the 2x3's but did not like to look, so I used saplings. I still need to add all the bracing and the strings to tie them up still. The poles are also notched in and screwed with deck screws.
Posted Image

And here are my little tomato's that I started from seed. The Roma III's are on the right, the Opalka's on the left. And no... there is no reason for the two color's of bottles, and yes... I did buy more soda based on the bottle color just to have enough to make them even like that!
Posted Image

It's SO nice to have a lawn sweeper this year, it will make getting my grass mulch so easy! I ran out of grass last week, but this weekend I will have enough for the tomato's
Posted Image

Oh.. I almost forgot, between the tomato's and the corn rings is my row to Tangerine Dream sweet peppers!
Posted Image

So there it is! A little more work on the trellis and lot's of grass clipping mulch to keep the weeds at bay and some nice hot sun will have the canner going non-stop soon!
  • dstaggs, daytime dave and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#2 Aussiedog OFFLINE  

Aussiedog

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3089
  • 56 Thanks
  • 55 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 09:29 AM

That's a beautiful, healthy looking garden. I really like your natural sapling trellis and the green garden stakes. What did you use for your outside fence posts? I couldn't quite tell from the pictures.

#3 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 09:54 AM

Do you have any picture of the 2L bottles? what have you done with caps? how long between fillings?

Thanks

#4 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 10:03 AM

That's a very nice looking garden! I'm trying to get my garden back in to that good shape after the tremendous amount of rain we've had.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 10:36 AM

Looks great ! Have you used those bottles before ? I have to come up with something for watering because it takes so long to do . .

#6 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 10:58 AM

Thanks guys.... The garden stakes for the fence are just t-posts, I have long term plans for the fence, and making it taller. I want to place removable picket fence on the ends so they can be removed for tilling and run a fence length that tapers down on each end of the long sides. Then 48" fence will be replaced on the left side with wood posts and 2x6's on the bottom edge so the grass can be weed wacked. On the right side, there will be a 36" deep x 50' raised bed garden and a 5' trellis / gate in the center where the gate is now. The trellis will have the same picket fence that tapers down on each side with 48" fence filling in-between them.

The soda bottle's work great and it's my second year with them. I will say that real "coke" bottles work the best, they are thicker and do not collapse when draining. What I use is a special water hose I set up. It's half a rubber washer machine hose (24" long) with a shut off valve on the fitting. This allows me to turn it on and off and regulate the water flow. The hose also fits right into the bottles to fill them. This is also how I add my plant food (or compost tea) to the plants. Just add the plant fod, or fill with tea and you are done! They take maybe half an hour to drain and put the water down near the roots which is better than top filling.
I found them at Harbor Freight very cheap and even bought more last year at the end of the season on sale, 6 for a buck!

I "might" paint the bottles and have my kids paint flowers on them... That Fusion paint for plastic might work great, and kid painted flowers would be awesome!

PS... on the bottles, I cut the "ring" that locks the sealed cap off and have to gently file the ring below the thread. This allows the bottle to sit flush to the lip under that ring and it's a bit tighter of a fit. when you see it, you will know what I mean. I will try to grab some photos tonight.
  • Alc said thank you

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 11:01 AM

Fire, Very nice garden, The two sisters a going to shape up nicely:thumbs: I like the water bottle idea and grass mulch does a nice job on weed control. Only a matter of time before you will be enjoy the fruits of your labor..Nice Garden....

#8 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 02:10 PM

Very nice looking and planned garden.