jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,837 Thanks
  • 1,434 posts

Posted December 14, 2016 - 09:45 AM

I did solid mounts on a friend's 1200 and couldn't hardly stand the vibration. I still have that set of mounts here. It didn't make sense as so many of the Cub cadets run a solid mounted engine. I wound up getting a sway bar link for a Rwd GM car and used the bushings out of it. The heavier duty urethane version. That made it tolerable at least. I think there is something up within that engine but it continues to run OK and no smoke so the owner is putting up with it for now.

And this is exactly what concerns me on doing mine, I've heard about the BAD vibration issue before, thought I would try  exactly what you said you did with the bushings from  the short strut-rod that holds sway bar on big  GM rwd's. I can get original GM bushings for WAY less than Cub parts but  only a little less than the "solid" ones. Guess I'll just bite the bullet...want to pass on your solid ones (reasonably) ?

• dodge trucker said thank you

#17 nitro OFFLINE  

nitro
  • Member No: 71342
  • 170 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted December 14, 2016 - 10:08 AM

I did solid mounts on a friend's 1200 and couldn't hardly stand the vibration. I still have that set of mounts here. It didn't make sense as so many of the Cub cadets run a solid mounted engine. I wound up getting a sway bar link for a Rwd GM car and used the bushings out of it. The heavier duty urethane version. That made it tolerable at least. I think there is something up within that engine but it continues to run OK and no smoke so the owner is putting up with it for now.

Something's going on with that, my k321 rattles the sheetmetal a little but not that bad.  It already had the balance gears removed also.  A k301 oughta run a lot smoother than that.

#18 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,885 Thanks
  • 2,503 posts

Posted December 14, 2016 - 06:14 PM

And this is exactly what concerns me on doing mine, I've heard about the BAD vibration issue before, thought I would try  exactly what you said you did with the bushings from  the short strut-rod that holds sway bar on big  GM rwd's. I can get original GM bushings for WAY less than Cub parts but  only a little less than the "solid" ones. Guess I'll just bite the bullet...want to pass on your solid ones (reasonably) ?

no, I have another tractor I want to try them on... as long as I have them....  but as a seasoned front end alignment guy, I had the other bushings laying around..... you wont want original GM bushings, unless you get them for a late 90s Camaro or something like that, those came OEM with urethane sway bar bushings.    get the Moog "improved design" (which are also urethane)  for alot less money.

#19 WoodyChuck OFFLINE  

WoodyChuck
  • Member No: 83094
  • 34 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted December 14, 2016 - 06:27 PM

Just got the motor rebuilt but its really hard to turn now after I tightened the piston rod to the crank to specks (260 in lbs) and I can hardly turn it did i do something wrong?

#20 WoodyChuck OFFLINE  

WoodyChuck
  • 34 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted December 17, 2016 - 01:05 PM

Got the solid motor mounts installed as well as engine. When I get the time Ill get electrical components hooked up and start her up!

#21 WoodyChuck OFFLINE  

WoodyChuck
  • 34 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted December 21, 2016 - 08:33 PM

Got it all back together and it runs like a champ but I don't need the choke to start it is my carb running too rich?

#22 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,125 Thanks
  • 576 posts

Posted December 26, 2016 - 12:35 PM

Got it all back together and it runs like a champ but I don't need the choke to start it is my carb running too rich?

I've had plenty of cubs that didn't need choke to start, my 108 will fire up in the dead of winter without choke. On a fresh engine that has plenty of compression and good spark it's not uncommon for them to start without choke.

#23 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,885 Thanks
  • 2,503 posts

Posted April 29, 2017 - 08:55 AM

Well I have the engine out of my 1200 too, ready for reassembly, fresh from the machine shop. Not the same 1200 mentioned above that had the vibration with the solid mounts, that one belongs​to a friend. IAM gonna try the solid mounts in my 1200 and see what happens. I also have a solid clutch drive hub out of a narrow frame going in too. My 1200engine didn't have any balance gears in it from the getgo. Surprising, being that these are called"quietline" tractors. Now to find another narrow base Kohler for my engine-less 1650...