• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 andyrocky1 OFFLINE  

andyrocky1
  • Member No: 78183
  • 24 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted November 23, 2016 - 07:34 AM

I am looking for some ideas as to what may be wrong. I was running my H14 the other day and it was working great. Then I ran out of gas. It was typical changing of speed of engine for a minute or two then it stopped. I put gas in and it started right up. However since then it has stopped running after a few minutes (5-10) and refuses to restart. It seems to be flooded. After it sits a while, it will start and run for a while then the same thing happens. I have done this a few times. 

I have a very new walbro carburetor, fuel filter and rebuilt the impulse pump. There is a new spark plug and air filter. I probably don't have 15 hours on them, 

I don't expect a miracle cure through internet diagnosis but I bow to those with much more experience than me for thoughts as to what may be happening. The fuel filter was empty. Now it is about half full.  I wondered if something happened to the fuel pump when it ran out of fuel. It is the original style walbro impulse which I rebuilt.

I will be going through the Tecumseh engine trouble shooting steps in the manual when I get a chance. I was hoping someone could point out a possible thing to check first.  

#2 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,610 Thanks
  • 5,521 posts

Posted November 23, 2016 - 07:57 AM

Did you check for spark as soon as it stopped running? Sounds like a SSI module getting ready to die, but it would be a coincidence happening the same time as you ran out of fuel.

I'm betting you got debris sucked up somewhere.

• boyscout862 and andyrocky1 have said thanks

#3 Tecumseh power OFFLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,420 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted November 23, 2016 - 10:02 AM

I would also say it sounds like you got some dirt in it when it ran out of fuel. I'd clean out the carb and tank
  • boyscout862, ClassicBolens and andyrocky1 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,479 Thanks
  • 8,482 posts

Posted November 23, 2016 - 11:02 AM

I agree with the dirt in the fuel system. Check the tank filter first. Be very carefull if you test the ignition system. Done wrong, some tests will destroy the ignition module. Good Luck, Rick

• ClassicBolens and andyrocky1 have said thanks

#5 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • 7,610 Thanks
  • 5,521 posts

Posted November 23, 2016 - 12:03 PM

I agree with the dirt in the fuel system. Check the tank filter first. Be very carefull if you test the ignition system. Done wrong, some tests will destroy the ignition module. Good Luck, Rick

you just got to make sure the spark plug is grounded well on the SSI systems when testing for spark. The module has to release the juice to ground, if not, it will feed back through the module and possibly burn it up.

• boyscout862 and andyrocky1 have said thanks

#6 andyrocky1 OFFLINE  

andyrocky1
  • 24 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted November 23, 2016 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for the responses. I wondered about dirt  blocking fuel except it seemed to be flooded. I could smell fuel in the exhaust. When I first got the tractor there was no fuel pump it ran gravity from the tank and the old carb had issues. It would flood and you had to move the throttle while trying to start it and it would load up and quit. How would I know if the pump failed? 

I wondered about ignition but it when it started it ran great (for 10-15 minutes). As for spark test, I read about doing it wrong so I bought a Tecumseh spark tester. It was cold and I had limited time to tinker so I did not take off the air filter to look at the intake and carb. I did check the spark plug wire and it was connected. I will check the fuel filter first. I should probably also pull the spark plug to see if it is wet like it is flooded. 

Again thanks for the help. It was weird the tractor was running fine and had been going great for several hours the prior day. I wish I had topped it off before using it again. 

Edited by andyrocky1, November 23, 2016 - 01:14 PM.

#7 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • 7,610 Thanks
  • 5,521 posts

Posted November 23, 2016 - 02:52 PM

How would I know if the pump failed? 

If the pump is separate, remove the fuel line going to the carb  after it stalls and turn it over, you should get gas spurting out.

I know you said it appears like its flooding, but a bad vent on the gas cap can create a vacuum causing one to stall after 15-20 mins of running. Once it sits for a few mins, it will start up fine again.

• andyrocky1 said thank you

#8 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 444 Thanks
  • 382 posts

Posted November 24, 2016 - 08:08 AM

Check the float level on the carb

if incorrect it will flood

• andyrocky1 said thank you

#9 andyrocky1 OFFLINE  

andyrocky1
  • 24 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted November 25, 2016 - 08:21 AM

If the pump is separate, remove the fuel line going to the carb  after it stalls and turn it over, you should get gas spurting out.

I know you said it appears like its flooding, but a bad vent on the gas cap can create a vacuum causing one to stall after 15-20 mins of running. Once it sits for a few mins, it will start up fine again.

The impulse pump is threaded into the carb.My thought on the vent is the only thing that changed was running out of fuel. There was no problem with it running prior to that. When it ran out of gas the engine did fluctuate speed for a short period prior to stalling.  I saw air into the fuel filter. I am going to try the new gas filter and checking the fuel tank first this weekend. The first fuel after it ran out was a quart can of VP 4 cycle ethanol free 93 octane. I know it is overkill but it was handy. After it stopped on its own, I wondered about the tank not having enough in it to have gravity help force the air out of the fuel filter so I filled the tank with 92 octane with stabil. There seemed to be quite a bit of air in the fuel filter. 

Thanks to everyone for the ideas. My main concern was I may have damaged something when it ran out which I had never heard of happening with other engines but this is my first like this.  That is why I came to the experts here. From what I am gathering, I probably did not damage it which puts my mind to ease. It ran great afterwards but just for short period of time and would not start again.  I just need to figure out the "why".   

#10 andyrocky1 OFFLINE  

andyrocky1
  • 24 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 08:27 PM

So to update everyone: thanks for the insight and possible solutions.  I was ready to replace the fuel filter in case I had got debris from the bottom of the tank in it. I decided to give it another shot. It looked like I had air in the fuel filter. I decided to run it and see if it would work out. It has run fine since. Well except the time I realized the fuel was shut off. It started to sputter so I turned it on. Anyway, it is working fine and I won't let the tank get that low again. 

• Bolens 1000, TAHOE and bprzyw have said thanks