Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts on synthetic oil in old engines.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,942 Thanks
  • 29,754 posts

Posted November 24, 2016 - 06:53 AM

I almost never use multi viscost even. Tend to be a die hard sae30 guy.

That said I couldn't even start my snow blower at 50 degrees the other day... so, I changed to 10w30.

HUGE difference. I mean, I know the science and hate to sound dumb (well, duh... lookee here... hayuk.) But even being optomistic it surprised me.

I don't think the oil has been changed previously. Probably change ot again soon.
  • KennyP, MFDAC, old coot and 1 other said thanks

#17 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,577 Thanks
  • 4,712 posts

Posted November 24, 2016 - 08:09 AM

I had worked for a guy that ran synthetic when it was on sale. And dino oil the rest of the time. And the pickups got changed at three month. Wether it was 2000 or 10000 miles. His engines made a lot of interesting sounds. When I made the round of picking up workers, they would say on a quiet morning I could be heard a mile away. It was their 90 second warning til I got to their house.
If i had a new engine, I would likely run synthetic. But since all my engines are old and broke in by others, dino is my friend.

#18 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 419 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted November 24, 2016 - 10:27 AM

I run dino oil in everything. From my 77 F250 to my wifes 2010 escape.

I ran synthetic one time in a 96 F150 i had, after 500 miles it devloped a rear main, pan gasket, and lifter cover (300 inline) leak.

The way i see it is, dino oil worked fine for 100 years.
  • MFDAC, old coot and CraftsmanGT have said thanks

#19 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 733 Thanks
  • 605 posts

Posted November 24, 2016 - 11:16 AM

I run dino  oil in everything except maybe the wife's 16 Terian as the dealer changes that one.

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,942 Thanks
  • 29,754 posts

Posted November 24, 2016 - 11:46 AM

Anyone use this yet?
https://rislone.com/...zinc-treatment/

#21 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,792 Thanks
  • 1,423 posts

Posted November 25, 2016 - 12:13 AM

Yes Alan, but I will ween my '72 GMC back off of it. About 2 years ago I built a new set of heads, as the old ones had finally pounded out the exhaust valve seats, one almost 3/8" deep into the head! Still had 125 psi compression! The other cylinders were around 175 though. The engine has been in the truck 30 years. It flattened that lobe on the cam so I also did a cam and lifter replacement. The truck only gets 2-2500 miles a year but iI went ahead and have been changing the oil every 5 or 600 miles and using a bottle of Rislone zinc. I'm running Rotella 15-40 in that old engine with the additive. Probably will keep the this cycle up for another year but bump the changes up to 1500 miles now, do that a couple more times and then quit using it. Once the cam is well broken in supposedly the zinc content isn't as important.

DAC

• MH81, KennyP, old coot and 1 other said thanks

#22 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,886 Thanks
  • 2,506 posts

Posted November 26, 2016 - 10:31 PM

Dino 10w40 in everything here. I have switched to a cheaper brand since I change oil so much and Valvoline can't be had for $2 a quart anymore.

#23 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,792 Thanks
  • 1,423 posts

Posted November 27, 2016 - 10:49 PM

Dino 10w40 in everything here. I have switched to a cheaper brand since I change oil so much and Valvoline can't be had for $2 a quart anymore.

Ain't that the truth! It's kinda strange that even gasoline and barrel prices drop to semi affordable levels, the lubricant names like Valvoline, which I ran 100% for decades, never come down accordingly!

DAC

• old coot and CraftsmanGT have said thanks

#24 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,885 Thanks
  • 2,016 posts

Posted November 28, 2016 - 01:07 AM

Ain't that the truth! It's kinda strange that even gasoline and barrel prices drop to semi affordable levels, the lubricant names like Valvoline, which I ran 100% for decades, never come down accordingly!

DAC

Exactly why I quit using Penzoil 30W and switched to Shell, that and the fact that they seem to have gotten rid of their HD30.

• MFDAC and CraftsmanGT have said thanks

#25 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,591 Thanks
  • 4,301 posts

Posted November 28, 2016 - 10:34 AM

Opinions on oil are like stars in the sky, billions of them and they're all different. The only way you'll know is to try it.

• MH81, KennyP and CraftsmanGT have said thanks

#26 CraftsmanGT ONLINE  

CraftsmanGT
  • Member No: 67395
  • 212 Thanks
  • 249 posts

Posted November 29, 2016 - 06:07 PM

Thanks everyone. After some research and finding most synthetic is just highly processed mineral oil I think I'll save my money.

#27 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,591 Thanks
  • 4,301 posts

Posted November 29, 2016 - 07:36 PM

Yes, synthetic doesn't mean what it originally did. They changed the regulations 25 years or so ago about what could be marketed as synthetic.
  • CraftsmanGT said thank you

#28 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,886 Thanks
  • 2,506 posts

Posted December 01, 2016 - 01:28 PM

I always thought that"synthetic" meant artificial. As in 100% man made, made in a lab with no "natural" ingredients.
The one time that I did switch something of mine to synthetic was my old plow truck front differential, it had one of those vacuum operated shift forks on the RF axle instead of the old school flip hubs, and it would stick. Someone I know (forget who at the moment) told me that it would work "freer" if I put synthetic gear oil in there, and surprisingly it did make a difference. I may use it in certain situations but for most things I will stay conventional.

#29 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,660 Thanks
  • 887 posts

Posted December 01, 2016 - 01:51 PM

I always thought that"synthetic" meant artificial. As in 100% man made, made in a lab with no "natural" ingredients.

It all depends on where you want to draw the line.  As a practical mater all the ingredients available to a lab are natural,  they can only use ingredients found in nature and break them apart and/or combine with other natural ingredients.

A certain amount of the oil mixed in what gets pumped from the ground is identical to that assembled in a lab or factory.  If you separate it out it's the identical stuff and you cannot back trace it to how it got into the bottle.  Does it really matter what its history is?  The courts ruled that "Synthetic" described a certain product and how it was actually obtained was irrelevant.

To a certain extent conventional oil ("dino oil") is synthetic too.  It doesn't come straight from the ground and into the bottle.  It gets quite a bit of processing along the way.

• MH81, KennyP and dodge trucker have said thanks