• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 H16VANGUARD OFFLINE  

H16VANGUARD
  • Member No: 70281
  • 9 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 08:45 AM

ONE OF A KIND ALERT - JUST SPOTTED! This unique "one of a kind" Speedex 1631D steel wheel diesel tractor (Lombardini engine) with t-92 trans just went up for sale! Once thought to be just a fable as few knew about it's existence and the story that follows it. Was never offered for retail sale as it was warehoused out of the way so never was put to "work" and remains like the day it was built. Targeted for Mennonites (religion forbids use of gasoline & rubber tires) was only showed briefly then Speedex was sold off to Armstrong Tractor Co. in Vandergrift, Pa. and it ended up warehoused for years. This New Old Stock original factory fresh tractor just listed on E-bay and Pittsburgh Craigslist.

• Cvans and jimmy G have said thanks

#2 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,162 Thanks
  • 5,937 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 10:38 AM

Here's the link.

http://www.ebay.com/...WsAAOSw5cNYL6SP

• jimmy G and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,986 Thanks
  • 8,773 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 10:53 AM

I'm skeptical about that tractor. The rebar welded to the rear wheels and the the decal on the engine do not seem right to me. If you are interested, check the serial number of the engine. Good Luck, Rick

#4 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,774 Thanks
  • 951 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 12:55 PM

That tractor is the closest match I've seen to my gasoline 1631, which I believe to be a 1994.  I've wondered if my tractor wasn't also a prototype.

I know nothing about the decal on the engine but can easily imagine they might have used rebar for the lugs on a prototype.  The way they built stuff it wouldn't have surprised me to see rebar lugs on a production tractor.

#5 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,536 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 02:04 PM

Looks cool.

Aside from the afore mentioned comments, I ain't never seen a tractor with what appears to be a newer steering wheel, and what appears to be a shock absorber or rack/pinoion steering boot on the shifter.

Edited by stiemmy, November 21, 2016 - 02:06 PM.

#6 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,774 Thanks
  • 951 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 02:13 PM

Looks cool.

Aside from the afore mentioned comments, I ain't never seen a tractor with what appears to be a newer steering wheel, and what appears to be a shock absorber or rack/pinoion steering boot on the shifter.

Mine has the boot on the shifter too, seems to have been made for it.  I also have the newer steering wheel.  Major difference (other than gasoline and rubber) is I have a modern high backed seat.  Someone may have switched my seat though......

• stiemmy said thank you

#7 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,536 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 02:17 PM

Huh, thats cool!

Thanks for sharing, I would have never guessed that type of setup? 

Learn something new everyday! Guess thats what makes life worth getting outta bed for everyday!!!;)

Edited by stiemmy, November 21, 2016 - 02:29 PM.

#8 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,536 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 03:15 PM

I cant stop looking at that thing! How COOL would that be to have something like that though!!!

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,445 Thanks
  • 7,813 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 05:53 PM

Have not seen this newer one, but think there was a really old version, maybe as old as the S series that was only one or such. Owned by Speedex collector and just tucked away and wasn't so nice in pix I saw. He was also claiming it to be only one. Don't recall if Diesel tho??  AS to the odd mechanical things you guys mention, obviously you have never looked at the brand. They made many things that looked like made in a garage and used whatever was on suppliers shelves many times. Boots on shifters and steering columns were used alot on later years. I think many times they used up parts from the warehouse and whatever was cheap to make up tractors, some not many models at a time or maybe just singles, to get them out door and get money coming in to keep brand going. 

#10 H16VANGUARD OFFLINE  

H16VANGUARD
  • 9 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 05:56 PM

This was a one of a kind built tractor. Speaking of the large orange label on the side of the engine? That's a Lombardini 7dl Diesel engine decal. Those engine's were made in Italy for years and is just bullet proof. Many are used in road signs and run for days at a time. Probably the best made in the world. Engine is so much larger than the typical gas that the frame was special made. Mike Hamper told me about this tractor years ago. Told me he had the honor to actually drive it into the building at a factory dealer show out in Ohio years ago. Mike knows everything about Speedex. Years ago I ran into a old employee (think his last name was White?) of Armstrong Tractor in Penna. He said they bought out Speedex. He said they acquired the prototype tractors and stored them in a back room of the factory. He spoke of this one how it was built like a tank and told me a very interesting story about it. Cold & snow in Erie.

#11 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,774 Thanks
  • 951 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 06:26 PM

This was a one of a kind built tractor. Speaking of the large orange label on the side of the engine? That's a Lombardini 7dl Diesel engine decal. Those engine's were made in Italy for years and is just bullet proof. Many are used in road signs and run for days at a time. Probably the best made in the world. Engine is so much larger than the typical gas that the frame was special made. Mike Hamper told me about this tractor years ago. Told me he had the honor to actually drive it into the building at a factory dealer show out in Ohio years ago. Mike knows everything about Speedex. Years ago I ran into a old employee (think his last name was White?) of Armstrong Tractor in Penna. He said they bought out Speedex. He said they acquired the prototype tractors and stored them in a back room of the factory. He spoke of this one how it was built like a tank and told me a very interesting story about it. Cold & snow in Erie.

I'd be very curious what the serial number is, if it has one.  It should be on the left frame rail below the engine.

You willing to share?

My gasoline 1631 that looks like its brother (SN 163116501M)

post-75926-0-55177200-1478035192.jpg

• stiemmy said thank you

#12 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,536 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 06:48 PM

I'd be very curious what the serial number is, if it has one.  It should be on the left frame rail below the engine.

You willing to share?

My gasoline 1631 that looks like its brother (SN 163116501M)
post-75926-0-55177200-1478035192.jpg

Wow! Those are cool. Thanks for sharing. I definitely have some reading up to do:)
  • toppop52 said thank you

#13 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,774 Thanks
  • 951 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 07:17 PM

Lookie what I found!

https://youtu.be/rHN6Kn303ts

• KennyP, Cvans, speedbird and 1 other said thanks

#14 H16VANGUARD OFFLINE  

H16VANGUARD
  • 9 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted November 22, 2016 - 08:05 AM

The Ebay add says it has s/n. If you want the s/n why don't you contact the seller? Appears to have a 3PH, hydraulic lift but lift valve seems different than most I have seen. Fuel tank different. Engine appears to have special mounts. Those steel wheels are massive. Speedex always  overbuilt, very tough and many still exist today. That tractor probably take all the trophy's at any tractor show.

#15 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,774 Thanks
  • 951 posts

Posted November 22, 2016 - 11:16 AM

The Ebay add says it has s/n. If you want the s/n why don't you contact the seller? Appears to have a 3PH, hydraulic lift but lift valve seems different than most I have seen. Fuel tank different. Engine appears to have special mounts. Those steel wheels are massive. Speedex always  overbuilt, very tough and many still exist today. That tractor probably take all the trophy's at any tractor show.

I saw that, but assumed you were the seller.  I'll contact him.

The diesel is only the 2nd I've come across (after mine) with the hydraulic hitch.  Last night I found an ad from a couple years ago for a 1631 for sale in Texas.  That one also had the hydraulic 3 point, and the lift lever was similar to the one on the diesel.  All the others I've seen had the manual lift.

Both the diesel and the Texas tractor have the clutch/brake pedal on the right.  On mine it's on the left.  I'm guessing the pedal was on the right because it was in the way when there was a manual lift lever (which was on the left).  I'm wondering if they were in the process of going to a left pedal like the rest of the industry seems to have had.

Edited by MiCarl, November 22, 2016 - 11:18 AM.

• speedbird and stiemmy have said thanks