• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 hardek OFFLINE  

hardek

• Member No: 3191
  • 3 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 08:37 PM

Does anyone know where to get plans for lawn tractor sickle mowers. I'd like to build one for my MF8. I wonder if it better to make a mid attach or a tow model. I want one with about a 48 inch width.

#2 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 09:03 PM

Does anyone know where to get plans for lawn tractor sickle mowers. I'd like to build one for my MF8. I wonder if it better to make a mid attach or a tow model. I want one with about a 48 inch width.

Where in Manitoba are you I have a line on two if you'd like one let me know.You can PM me if you like with your phone and address if you like. Ones a simplicity and ones a allis both 48" save you having to build one.Larry

I forgot to mention that the Allis one has been converted over to run off a MF 10 that I used to have.It doesn't take that much to run them either.It wouldn't take too much to make it fit onto your Massey.Larry

Edited by massey driver, June 01, 2011 - 07:10 AM.

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 09:09 PM

Might be quite a load on an 8hp.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,325 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 06:29 AM

Might be quite a load on an 8hp.

Yeah, it will be, but probably not all that much more than the deck. Just go a little slower I'd think.

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 05:45 PM

Larry, Do you want to sell the Simplicity mower? Do you have any idea what it would take to get it across the border?

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 06:52 PM

Yeah, it will be, but probably not all that much more than the deck. Just go a little slower I'd think.

As it will be a customized retro, anything is possible. Just something to pay attenton to. Don't overload
that engine and fry it.

#7 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 07:53 PM

Larry, Do you want to sell the Simplicity mower? Do you have any idea what it would take to get it across the border?

The mower can be for sale I haven't used it for awhile 10+ yrs. That would be a huge obstacle getting it to you.Larry

#8 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 08:15 PM

I forgot to mention that the Allis one has been converted over to run off a MF 10 that I used to have.It doesn't take that much to run them either.It wouldn't take too much to make it fit onto your Massey.Larry

If non of the above mentioned wants the Sickle you converted to run off the MF10 I'd be interested in it for my 66MF10.

#9 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,629 Thanks
  • 3,921 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 08:35 PM

A sickle bar cutter takes far less horsepower than a similar sized rotary mower deck - so power will not be a problem. The problem will be trying to keep a small tractor like a Massey 8 going straight with four feet of cutterbar dragging on one side. My Sears Super 12 has a fourty inch cutterbar and even with rib tires on the front its always turned left and sliding.

#10 scwade OFFLINE  

scwade

• Member No: 4128
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 15, 2011 - 04:15 PM

I do need one to cut 5 acre of weeds (then hopefully crusted wheat - next year). Will these work? I'm in Southern Montana.

I could run for the boarder if that helps :)

If non of the above mentioned wants the Sickle you converted to run off the MF10 I'd be interested in it for my 66MF10.

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted June 16, 2011 - 05:30 AM

A sickle bar cutter takes far less horsepower than a similar sized rotary mower deck - so power will not be a problem. The problem will be trying to keep a small tractor like a Massey 8 going straight with four feet of cutterbar dragging on one side. My Sears Super 12 has a fourty inch cutterbar and even with rib tires on the front its always turned left and sliding.

Would adding front weight help? Or would it just be harder to turn when you wanted to?

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 09:45 AM

Kenny, this goes back about 45 yrs, when my dad put a Ford Sickle bar bower on a BF Avery(one front wheel tricycle).
The mower runs on a skid on the outside end that is dragging over the ground and that puts a lot of drag in the direction of the bar.
Had to run with the steering wheel turned about 1/4 turn in the opposite direction slipping the front wheel to go straight.
That can get real exciting on a damp sidehill! But I was a in my early Teens and thought I was 10 ft tall and bulletproof.
Weight might help but would make it harder to tun.
  • KennyP said thank you

#13 scwade OFFLINE  

scwade

• Member No: 4128
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 02:50 PM

When I get a sickle I'll try to use some counterweight on the other side (maybe towards the front) to keep the drag reduced while leveling the tractor.

s

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted June 17, 2011 - 05:28 PM

scwade, that sounds to be a very good option. I didn't even think of a counter weight. Course, don't have a sickle bar either.