• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • Member No: 85281
  • 44 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted November 20, 2016 - 09:58 PM

I have an old 1477 Bolens with a front loader - the S14D wisconsin has been rebuilt but still seems to have problems running - I'm not sure if the compression release in not working properly and that's why it's tough to start or if the coil spark is too weak 

before I spend money on a coil, is it critical to get a "wisconsin" coil or could I use a regular coil

thanks

Art

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,253 Thanks
  • 783 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 12:20 AM

As long as it is the same kind of coil it doesn't matter. I meant internal resistor or non resitor! They usually say but I don't remember which one the wisconsin uses.

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,436 Thanks
  • 8,469 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 10:35 AM

Welcome to GTT. Do not just guess and replace parts. Download the manuals you need from out Manuals Section and then work your way through a troubleshooting section. This will take you step by step through the diagnosis proceedure so that you can find what is really wrong. I'd check the points first. The points plungers leak on those engines and can cause intermittent problems. When you need parts, our sponsors are very knowledgeable and helpfull.  Good Luck, Rick

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 03:25 PM

I dont know what the difference is but there are different ones for the solid state ignitions and regular battery ignitions, the Wisconsin distributor tells me theres a difference  so I carry both types.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 captaindemo17 OFFLINE  

captaindemo17
  • Member No: 78684
  • 31 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 05:37 PM

Wasnt the solid state ign coils 6 vlt ?? thought i might have read that somewhere but for the life of me cant find it again. 

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 05:39 PM

Wasnt the solid state ign coils 6 vlt ?? thought i might have read that somewhere but for the life of me cant find it again. 

Not on any Bolens, always 12vt

#7 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 915 Thanks
  • 622 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 09:20 PM

I dont know what the difference is but there are different ones for the solid state ignitions and regular battery ignitions, the Wisconsin distributor tells me theres a difference so I carry both types.

. Points have to have a resistor if 12v.,inline or in coil, no points no resistor
  • LPBolens said thank you

#8 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • 44 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted November 22, 2016 - 06:28 AM

thanks for all the responses -

to clarify -

solid state ignition so no points 

12 volt system

so the only coil consideration is internal resistor or no internal resistor? next question is what does the solid state system require?

did some resistance testing on the old coil and a new one at NAPA, both seem to have the same readings - stuff I'm reading seems to say there should be resistance between the secondary circuit and the case, I'm getting nothing so maybe it's the wrong coil to start???

thanks

#9 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,822 Thanks
  • 2,413 posts

Posted November 22, 2016 - 08:33 AM

coil_checks.jpg

thanks for all the responses -

to clarify -

solid state ignition so no points 

12 volt system

so the only coil consideration is internal resistor or no internal resistor? next question is what does the solid state system require?

did some resistance testing on the old coil and a new one at NAPA, both seem to have the same readings - stuff I'm reading seems to say there should be resistance between the secondary circuit and the case, I'm getting nothing so maybe it's the wrong coil to start???

thanks

There should be an ohm reading across the two small terminals.

There should be an ohm reading across the + terminal and the secondary terminal.

There should be no continuity (infinity reading on meter) between the secondary terminal and the case.

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens and firedudetl1 have said thanks

#10 firedudetl1 OFFLINE  

firedudetl1
  • 44 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted November 22, 2016 - 09:13 AM

thanks - need to get a little time and get the meter out to check again