Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Thoughts on aftermarket Tecumseh carburetors?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,885 Thanks
  • 2,016 posts

Posted November 19, 2016 - 10:41 PM

Thinking about replacing the carb on a Tecumseh H50 that's on a snow blower instead of fixing the one that's already there do to time constraints(Starting busy time at work/need blower to be operational).  Has anyone tried the aftermarket carbs that are out there for these engines?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,253 Thanks
  • 783 posts

Posted November 19, 2016 - 10:56 PM

It would take about the same time to rebuild the carb that it would to replace it, give or take a few minutes. I may be mistaken but I was rebuilding four or five a day this summer and it shouldn't take that long. Just order your parts and read your manual carefully then just dig in. I suppose it's up to the individual but replacing a carb instead of rebuilding it seems like buying a new chainsaw loop instead of just sharpening the old one. Whatever you decide, good luck and have fun.
  • boyscout862 and adamjd200 have said thanks

#3 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,885 Thanks
  • 2,016 posts

Posted November 19, 2016 - 11:35 PM

I know it may not save too much time, but it may be more cost effective in this case as this one will probably need a float and the bowl is slightly deformed, not sure what is best in this case.

• Tecumseh power said thank you

#4 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,320 Thanks
  • 906 posts

Posted November 20, 2016 - 12:25 AM

The ones that have flooded the market are poor quality Chinese junk, that is my opinion based on I gave one a try on a Tec, seemed all right at first then went to hell in a hand basket after a couple mowing sessions. I heard guys say they work fine and for every one of them I hear 2-3 stories similar to mine, it's a roll of the dice, I'd say rebuild and you know what you have.

Just an FYI I needed a carb for a Tec OH16 tried the knock off because I'd seen a ridiculous price for NOS on EBay,when it STB about a 20min hit and miss Google search I found an OEM NOS Walbro for half what that guy is asking, getting? on EBay.
  • Bolens 1000, Alc, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,111 Thanks
  • 2,818 posts

Posted November 20, 2016 - 12:35 AM

If you get an aftermarket carb make sure it has both adjustable Idle screw and adjustable main screw.

The ones I have bought I had to swap out the throttle butterfly and throttle shaft or modify the existing one so I could hook up the governor rod correctly.

The butterfly is held into place with 2 small screws on the original H50 carb and the cheap aftermarket ones that I have used only had 1 screw.And the holes and bracket on the top of the throttle shaft were all different.If you get the one with the larger bracket you will be fine.

Make sure you get one that the throttle opens Counter clockwise.Some of the aftermarket carbs have clockwise opening throttle for the OHV Tec engines.

Left one will work.Right one will bind the governor linkage up unless you make a longer rod for it.

s-l160077.jpg   s-l1600.jpg

Another one that will work is a carb off of a 4hp tecumseh powered push mower with the primer bulb lol.You have to ream out the non adjustable main jet a bit but it will run fine with one of those.I have 1 on my H50 powered Tiller engine.

Edited by EricFromPa, November 20, 2016 - 12:47 AM.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,111 Thanks
  • 2,818 posts

Posted November 20, 2016 - 12:43 AM

Just an FYI I needed a carb for a Tec OH16 tried the knock off because I'd seen a ridiculous price for NOS on EBay,when it STB about a 20min hit and miss Google search I found an OEM NOS Walbro for half what that guy is asking, getting? on EBay.

I have a carb body off of a OH150.It's pretty nasty but the throttle and choke shafts are tight and it should clean up OK.I'll dig it out and see how bad it is once it's cleaned up.I'll send you pics of it after I dig it out of my stash lol.

• WrenchinOnIt and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

Jack of all trades, master of none.

• Member No: 77571
  • 1,420 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted November 20, 2016 - 01:47 AM

I have bought about 20 to 30 of them they work Fine. Just put one on an h50 today you just need to get the adjustable ones. Adjust them when you put them on and they work great. Some guys knock them but when people have equipment that is old and used why would you buy a new carb that is worth more than the equipment it is going on ?. I have never had any issues with them at all. I think the problem is guys don't order the correct one for the application. You have to know what you need. There are many Tecumseh carb styles. The ones Eric sent you a pic of will work but aren't the correct style for your h50. They have the correct one. I can send you a link to it if you need it.

Edited by Tecumseh power, November 20, 2016 - 01:53 AM.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,420 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted November 20, 2016 - 01:55 AM

The ones that have flooded the market are poor quality Chinese junk, that is my opinion based on I gave one a try on a Tec, seemed all right at first then went to hell in a hand basket after a couple mowing sessions. I heard guys say they work fine and for every one of them I hear 2-3 stories similar to mine, it's a roll of the dice, I'd say rebuild and you know what you have.

Do you have a link? I wish I could find a knock off lmh for a junk project I have . I have never seen one for those

Edited by Tecumseh power, November 20, 2016 - 01:59 AM.

#9 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,420 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted November 20, 2016 - 01:58 AM

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/221920873154.
This is the correct one for your h50.it has the correct choke plate and the 90* degree fuel barb. The ones above don't I use these ones all the time they work great
  • MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#10 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,102 Thanks
  • 1,410 posts

Posted November 20, 2016 - 07:17 AM

Not Tecumseh, but I just ordered a carb for my Kohler K301 from iSaveTractors.....got tired of taking the carb apart, just cant seem to get it right. Will see how the new one works. 

#11 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,286 Thanks
  • 17,852 posts

Posted November 20, 2016 - 08:48 AM

STAY AWAY FROM THE CHEAP ONES from $10-$40

Those are straight off the docks of china and are complete crap , alot of dealers are getting them in with these carbs on them and nothing on them will match over to OEM and all you have to do is look at them and the threads will strip out.

If you buy aftermarket make sure its a legitimate brand like stens, oregon ect. Those are decent quality but of course a bit more $$

Let me know your full engine numbers and I'll be happy to look up them for you, you may be surprised an OEM carb is not as expensive as you think 

• WrenchinOnIt said thank you

#12 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,420 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted November 20, 2016 - 09:44 AM

Something for you guys to think about. This is one of my customers snowblowers I put that aftermarket carb on last night . I still have to put the carb cover back on. People here don't have much money . Look at this snowblower it's lucky if it's worth 75 bucks. People who have stuff like this don't want to pay 75 bucks for a carb for a piece of equipment like this. This is the kind of applications I use them on and they work fine. Would I put one on a restore? Probably not unless it was my only choice. But for this kind of application it is a great choice. When someone only wants a year or two out of the machine. This is the carb in my link above on a Tecumseh h50 . On an old cub 524. I do tell them they have 3 choices. Rebuild carb. OEM or brand name carb or Chinese. And I explain the pros and cons. With stuff like this they usually go Chinese.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20161120_093756.jpg
  • 20161120_093751.jpg

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,286 Thanks
  • 17,852 posts

Posted November 20, 2016 - 10:12 AM

Something for you guys to think about. This is one of my customers snowblowers I put that aftermarket carb on last night . I still have to put the carb cover back on. People here don't have much money . Look at this snowblower it's lucky if it's worth 75 bucks. People who have stuff like this don't want to pay 75 bucks for a carb for a piece of equipment like this. This is the kind of applications I use them on and they work fine. Would I put one on a restore? Probably not unless it was my only choice. But for this kind of application it is a great choice. When someone only wants a year or two out of the machine. This is the carb in my link above on a Tecumseh h50 . On an old cub 524. I do tell them they have 3 choices. Rebuild carb. OEM or brand name carb or Chinese. And I explain the pros and cons. With stuff like this they usually go Chinese.

Its a shame the market has come to this but maybe the economy will turn around in 2017 and people will want to repair things again. It does baffle me though that blowers like in your pic have probably ran for 15+ years without any replacement parts or maintenance and they really owe the customer nothing, you would think they would go ahead and put $100-200 into them for another 15+ years but that mentality seems to be few and far between these days unless your a collector or hobbyist like us on GTT.

• KennyP, EricR, Eric and 1 other said thanks

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 34,265 Thanks
  • 43,390 posts

Posted November 20, 2016 - 10:26 AM

Its a shame the market has come to this but maybe the economy will turn around in 2017 and people will want to repair things again. It does baffle me though that blowers like in your pic have probably ran for 15+ years without any replacement parts or maintenance and they really owe the customer nothing, you would think they would go ahead and put $100-200 into them for another 15+ years but that mentality seems to be few and far between these days unless your a collector or hobbyist like us on GTT.

The challenge goes back to folks just buying a new one and scrapping the 'usable' old stuff.

• Bolens 1000 and Eric have said thanks

#15 Tecumseh power ONLINE  

Tecumseh power

• 1,420 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted November 20, 2016 - 10:27 AM

The blower itself runs really good and is in very good shape mechanically. It just looks rough because it sat out for awhile. It is made better than the new stuff you can buy. If I were him I'd clean it up and paint it. I put a head gasket in it too . And it was very clean inside. And the cylinder looked like new
  • Bolens 1000 and KennyP have said thanks