#1 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 395 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted November 17, 2016 - 12:04 PM

Has anyone ever seen a course ground mower blade? Kind of a serrated cutting edge.  I bought a new Ariens 22hp 46" deck (made by Husqvarna, same as Sears is/was) in the winter of 2013. I had to order it.  They were haveing trouble getting them. I finally came about 6 months later. When it arrived it was sent back because of shipping damage I was told. When the next one came I finished out the season and the next year too. I bought a new set of blades to have on hand. After the second season I decided to put the new blades on even thought it was still cutting nice and the blades felt sharp.  When putting on the new blades I noticed they had the traditional smooth cutting edge but the old ones were course. The new smooth blades only went half the season before needing sharping so I put the old ones (which I went ahead and sharpend and now sadly have a smooth edge) back on and have used them since. So anyone else ever seen these or know where to get them? I've looked all over the internet and can't find anything.  IMGP2522.JPG

#2 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 395 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted November 17, 2016 - 12:10 PM

I should add that in the picture you can see that I used a hand file and sharpend just the very edge as I didn't want to ruin the course grind.

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,354 Thanks
  • 7,733 posts

Posted November 17, 2016 - 06:48 PM

I would bet nothing special, just a quick way to machine the blades that had odd cutters on the mill head or whatever was used to make. Probly cuts/sharpens a blade end every second on some machine somewhere??

• Bud and chieffan have said thanks

#4 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,799 Thanks
  • 6,034 posts

Posted November 17, 2016 - 08:16 PM

Serrated sickle sections but not a mower blade.  On a sickle they cut better is course stuff.  As long as it is sharp and hasn't had the temper taken out sharpening it,  it will cut.

• Bud said thank you

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,779 Thanks
  • 4,880 posts

Posted November 22, 2016 - 07:05 AM

Probably doesn't cut much different than a regular blade. My guess is it's a marketing gimmick.