• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 187 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 03:34 PM

Finally got my Decals for the 2414. I haven`t put any decals on anything since my model airplanes decades ago ! I saw something online about water and dish washing liquid . Looking for any tips and tricks about this to make sure I have a plenty of time to get `em right.

Also has anybody come up with a way to put the numbers on the serial number decals. I not sure if the ink from a typewriter ribbon stay on in rain or washing and may be hard to get lined up just right. We used steel stencils to put welder Id #s on pipes...but figure they might damage the clear cover on the decal.....could maybe use an inkpad from rubber stamp???

Any and all ideas or tips would be helpful !!

Thanks

• MFDAC and Traill95 have said thanks

#2 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,534 Thanks
  • 4,181 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 05:50 PM

Look at post 382 here http://gardentractor...hulk-ii/page-26  I was apprehensive also. decals are not cheep! 

I used masking tape to position the decals, and windex. Spritzed the area for the decal, peeled the backing while sticking the decal. Used a rubber squeegee to work the windex out from the center. Take your time, and you should be fine.

• Alc and MNGB have said thanks

#3 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 09:47 PM

Using wax pencils are good too for finding your center line of the decals. Thats what we used when I worked 4 a sign company years ago.

#4 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,240 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 09:55 PM

we use rapid tac at the sign shop, works much better than soap and water.

http://www.ebay.com/...b9Wslyo&vxp=mtr

#5 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• Member No: 5815
  • 2,892 Thanks
  • 1,469 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 10:01 PM

I have been in the sign biz for a long time too and always just used a quart spray bottle with about a half a teaspoon of Dawn dish soap. I can usually get by dry but sometimes bigger things like race car numbers are easier to do wet when you work alone. I just do it a little on the side now.

DAC

#6 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 187 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted November 15, 2016 - 06:58 AM

Thanks guys...I`ll probably wait till girlfriend gets here this weekend for the extra pair of hands.  I drive myself crazy sometimes with stuff like this....This whole project especially the painting....I have to keep telling myself......It`s Just A  #%&$  Tractor !!!!!

Now if I figure out the serial number thing !

#7 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,233 Thanks
  • 2,913 posts

Posted November 15, 2016 - 09:18 AM

Dawn dish liquid in water and a plastic Body filler spreader/applicator.Don't push the water out from under the decal untill you have it where you want it then start in the middle and push the water and air bubbles out and up.

Decals are not bad to do unless there longer than you can reach or are cheap decals with some really sticky self adhesive on the back side.I personally HATE the cheap self adhesive decals that Maple Hunter sells.Especially the thin chrome backed ones I put on my Cub Cadet dash and headlight panel.Those were horrible.