• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 09:35 PM

CC, Thats a great dealer you've got there. Find out what they want for the 400 the way it sits, blown up, when you return it.

#18 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 09:54 PM

Unless youre just cutting grass I would put money into the 400. Even if you have to put $1000 on a genuine overhaul thats what you will be into a new X300 for which is a lawn tractor

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 09:22 AM

Unless youre just cutting grass I would put money into the 400. Even if you have to put $1000 on a genuine overhaul thats what you will be into a new X300 for which is a lawn tractor

Not trying to knock the new JD's, but I agree, if they'd give you 1/2 your money back, I'd rebuild the 400 also. WAY more tractor than the new X series could ever imagine being!

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 11:20 AM

I have had good experiences with my local JD dealer and it sounds like you have a good one as well. If you can handle putting some money into the 400 to fix any issue's it has, and it is bound to have some just because of it's age, I would stick with it. I would take an honest look at the tractor and see how many other things are worn out. I would then cost out fixing them and see if it makes sense. In order for it to be reliable in the longer term you need to bite the bullet and fix any problems now. If you don't want to go that route I would look at financing a X500series and be done with it.
An x500 is nowhere near as big as a 400 but it is still very capable as a mowing machine and should give you long service.

#21 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 02:54 PM

I agree with all of what has been said. I would determine if you need or want a garden tractor as opposed to a lawn tractor. If it is a garden tractor that you really need then I would seriously consider seeing if the dealer would work with you on rebuilding the engine in the John Deere 400. If all you need is a lawn tractor and only want to mow grass and have no intentions of ever doing a garden or really moving or blowing snow then go for the lawn tractor.

#22 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 01, 2011 - 05:20 PM

I agree with all that has been said by the other members above. It's worth the money to rebuild or repower, if you want a great tractor that will handle most anything you can throw at her. If not, like I said before, let us know how much they want for it the way it sets...Thanks