• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ccfoshee OFFLINE  

ccfoshee

• Member No: 1239
  • 0 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 08:42 AM

Recently purchased a JD400. Dealer claimed it needed a tune up. Did a few things on it - fixed the headlight wiring, put in a new battery and plugs. Mowed great and hydraulics were strong. Dieseled a bit at shutdown due to carb linkage issue.

Mowing along fine on Saturday. All of a sudden hear high pitched screetching knock and the tractor begins running on one cylinder. Obviously, the 60 inch deck is too much for it on one cylinder.

Did all the normal checks for spark etc, hook up the compression tester. 120 on one side, 0 on the other!!! :(

Since it will run on one cylinder, I am guessing it's not a rod, but rather the valve train.

So mad...$1900 and three weeks later...from a reputable local JD dealer...

Edited by ccfoshee, May 31, 2011 - 08:43 AM.
clarification

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 09:04 AM

Hate to say, but it does sound like the rod let go to me. Seen it happen many times. I would be visiting this dealer!

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 10:14 AM

CC, Were you mowing on a side hill by chance. The KT-17 Kohler Series 1 is well known for not getting oil to the rod if your mowing on the side of the hill. You may be lucky enough to just need to put new rods in it. I hope that is all you have to do...Good Luck, and contact your Deere dealer to see if he will work you on repairing the tractor. 317's are great machines, I have 3 of them..

#4 ccfoshee OFFLINE  

ccfoshee

• 0 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 01:44 PM

Talked with the dealer, waiting for them to "get back to me."

I was mowing on relatively flat terrain.

Maybe I am way off, but I think the issue is in the valvetrain, as opposed to a rod, seeing as the engine runs relatively well with only one cylinder working (aside from it trying to shake your teeth out).

Seems to me if it was a rod, the other cylinder would likely have major problems working as well.

Your thoughts?

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 02:00 PM

I don't know what I was thinking about, you have a 400, not 317. Your engine should be a Kohler KQ532, I believe that engine had a full pressurized oil system for the rod and main bearings. You might want to check and pull the heads off both sides, see if when you roll the engine over by had, the pistons both move, or see if you have an exhaust valve stuck open. Thats what I would start with...

#6 MAV OFFLINE  

MAV

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 487
  • 108 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 02:08 PM

Hopefully you didn't run it to long. That is how I bought my 400 was with a busted rod that the owner ran it that way and pretty much trashed it. The K532 does have an internal adjustable oil pump unlike the KT-17. So more than likely the cylinder cooling fins where plugged up with oil and dirt causing heat build up and weakening the rod. Like other have said I would be talking with the dealer.

Mark

#7 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 3,867 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 02:35 PM

Since you mentioned the shaking I have to go with Dan and say a rod because that would upset the balance of the engine.

#8 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 03:34 PM

Yep as dan said it has let a rod go.Remove the head on the 0 compression side and you will see the piston going no ware

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 03:41 PM

Hopefully the dealer will help you out with whatever repairs are needed. If it was not making any unusual noises it would be pretty hard for them to tell the engine was going to have a major problem. Unlike most newer engines the older ones are easily serviceable and are well worth the expense of a rebuild in most cases.

#10 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 05:41 PM

my guess would be the rod also . i just bought a 400 with a k 583 23HP and it was about to do the same thing but i got it shut off in time . i had to buy a new rod and put it in and all is good again .

#11 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 06:25 PM

I wouldnt jump to conclusions about what the dealer did.

The tractor is 25-30 years old. You have no idea how many times it has been ran out of oil, lugged, overheated, overspeed.

The rods can go at any time. Theyre made of aluminum.

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 08:32 PM

I wouldnt jump to conclusions about what the dealer did.

The tractor is 25-30 years old. You have no idea how many times it has been ran out of oil, lugged, overheated, overspeed.

The rods can go at any time. Theyre made of aluminum.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't intend to imply the dealer had any idea anything was wrong, but most dealers should want to at least cost share when they sell something that blows that soon.

#13 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 08:43 PM

Its ok. I couldnt figure out how many rounds you were going to show up with anyways LOL

Maybe they will. At $1900 though it very may likely be an AS IS situation. Thats less than the going rate on ebay

#14 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 09:06 PM

Its ok. I couldnt figure out how many rounds you were going to show up with anyways LOL

Maybe they will. At $1900 though it very may likely be an AS IS situation. Thats less than the going rate on ebay

In legal terms, it is for sure an "as is, where is" sale. Just as good PR, many dealers will help out at least partially. But then again, I always buy knowing when I pay for & take possession, it's mine. But it can't hurt to try! But I never show up angry with situations like this, or anything for that matter. It's not my nature to come in with both barrels blazing. I like to use a friendly approach, & it has served me well all my life. Plus I don't have to feel bad later for how I acted before.
  • mikebramel, Aussiedog and Clippnalawn have said thanks

#15 ccfoshee OFFLINE  

ccfoshee

• 0 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 09:23 PM

Just wanted to give an update...

Talked with the dealer, after playing phone tag with their used general manager (who was also leaning toward the broken rod), they made me a deal to give me my full amount back if i agreed to buy another tractor from them. Needless to say, the X300 and X500 series are mighty enticing right now.

So everybody knows, this stand up outfit is JD Equipment Inc. They have branches throughout central Ohio. Would do business with them again in a heartbeat.