Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

New Redwings, made in China! Wait, WHAT?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 11:35 AM

Hope this is the correct area to post in? I consider these a tool.

Anyway, the boot truck came lastweek, and I decided it was time for some insulated boots for work.

Had to order as I have wide feet, and thought to look on the inside of the flap to see if I indeed did get what I had asked for. I sure did, but didn't expect to see made in China on them!!! 201.xx dollars and change for imports...really sad. They used to pride themselves on thier craftsmanship, it's obviously changed to monitary pride. It's almost pathetic! Sorry for the rant, guess I'll be more inquisitive on where my next pair is made!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 14791412391332127539342.jpg
  • 1479141301262569357590.jpg

• ducky, Gtractor, grnspot110 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,822 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 11:57 AM

Many redwings now are made overseas. You have to ask or keep an eye out for the Made in USA on the boot before buying. Been like that for years, it's sad I know.

• grnspot110, boyscout862 and stiemmy have said thanks

#3 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 629 Thanks
  • 399 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 12:52 PM

I just had to check mine because Red Wings are all I wear and they say made in USA.  I was kinda worried due to the fact that when I bought them a year ago I paid a little over $250.  The number on mine is 1412 and they're insulated but don't have the same tread pattern on them as yours appear to have.  I've worn the same style for almost 20 years and have been happy with them

• stiemmy said thank you

#4 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 932 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 12:55 PM

Just looked in mine.  USA made.

What surprised me is they are Thinsulate insulated.  They were a gift and I asked for non insulated.  Guess this explains why my feet get so hot......

• stiemmy said thank you

#5 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,268 Thanks
  • 1,442 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 01:02 PM

Just looked at my Wolverine boots they are made in China also. It is so sad all the jobs going to China. Next time I will look before buying.

• stiemmy said thank you

#6 Dane in PA OFFLINE  

Dane in PA

Permanent Lurker

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 552 Thanks
  • 616 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 01:25 PM

Call up the RW Boot Co. store and ask what lines and models are made overseas.  I lived in Red Wing for about 10 months.  Good people.  I bought a pair of shoes up there (still can't get the dang things broken in, the leather is so tough) and made sure they were made in the USA.

• stiemmy said thank you

#7 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 1,886 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 02:01 PM

Sad, but true. When I got my last pair a couple years back, that was the case. If you bought the USA made, which I did, they gave you two little US Flag medallions that threaded on your laces.

• stiemmy said thank you

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,150 Thanks
  • 9,625 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 02:06 PM

Red Wing 2233, steel toe 8" work boot, non-insulated, Made in the USA.

image.jpg

I have a pair of 953's (same thing only no steel toe) for out on the town and for church.
  • stiemmy said thank you

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,241 Thanks
  • 9,178 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 02:39 PM

I went to Farm & Fleet the other day looking for some new work shoes for every day wear. I'm retired and I don't need all the fancy stuff. I don't want a cheap padded ankle, or rubber toes or camo or a fancy finish that covers up the cheap leather. I just want good leather and low tops period. They didn't have any. They had one store brand that had 8" tops and they were $125.00, so I'm not going to buy them and cut them off. Oh, and nothing they carried was US Made.

• stiemmy said thank you

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,362 Thanks
  • 7,747 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 06:22 PM

Been buying Red Wings at the Farm stores and yes, Chinese made. They all are that I can see. HAVE seen some off-brand ones made here, but wouldn't even WANT those!  I think price paid makes difference in quality even when made over-seas.  Heck, same store has CAT and HARLEY-Davidson brands with flags and all kinds of USA stuff on them, but all made in China.  Don't know how to change that. Have to wait till Chinese become aware of better money and get or demand better wages and stuff is not cheaper there???  Don't think so. Maybe Donald will start issuing more Tariffs or whatever they call the fees to sell products here and will be cheaper for our stuff once again??

• stiemmy said thank you

#11 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,203 Thanks
  • 4,587 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 07:16 PM

My brand new Steel toed Redwings are 11 EE and are from China and cost $180.

The last ones lasted 2 weeks before they were leaking water through the soles. I wore them for 13 months before they were shot.

I have wore these new ones for 2 weeks and they are leaking around the soles.

The boot truck people won't warranty them!

• stiemmy said thank you

#12 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,800 Thanks
  • 6,035 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 07:47 PM

Been buying Wolverine boot for several years.  Can usually get close to 2 years out of a pair and I am not easy on shoes.  Last pair of 10" standard boot was $125 at Orschelns Farm & Home.  Present pair is over a year old and just replaced the laces this morning.

• stiemmy said thank you

#13 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,665 Thanks
  • 6,466 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 08:03 PM

I have Danner boots.  Excellent quality and made here.  They cost plenty, but are worth it.

• stiemmy said thank you

#14 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,892 Thanks
  • 1,468 posts

Posted November 14, 2016 - 09:27 PM

My job with the city (at a sewer plant) requires steel toe boots and in our case pays for them up to $200, one pair per year. Problem is that water proof ones are pretty rare under that dollar figure around here and we have to have water proof, not resistant. We will destroy a pair of boots in a year quite easily, or they start smelling so bad that the garbage is the only place they belong.  Most of us do go to the Red Wing store here, as they have the best service I've ever experienced at a store of this type, and the city has an easy account set up with them.

I was really disappointed that they are Chinese too, figured my feet would hurt and and they would leak. I've had ten pair of the same ones now and the quality has been consistantly good. They are light weight, comfortable and have never leaked in the nasty stuff I have to walk through.

3 years ago I went and got a pair for myself for around the shop and yard too mainly because I knew what I was getting. Incidentally the Red Wing store here tells me to bring them back once a month and they will clean and condition them and repair any eyelet problems free. I tell the sales guy every year that you won't want to touch these boots after they go out on the job and I wouldn't make you folks have to handle them---LOL! I took my personal pair back a couple times but got out of the habit.

Anyway long story, but the big picture I see about the Chinese boot is that they are helping to keep a great little local store with awesome employees in business, so that takes some of the sting out of it for me.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Red Wings.jpg
  • Red Wings 001.jpg
  • Red Wings 002.jpg

• stiemmy said thank you

#15 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,488 Thanks
  • 1,566 posts

Posted November 15, 2016 - 04:29 PM

I've worn Red Wing 2412's for at least the last 20 years and the pair I have now which are going on 2 years old say USA made on the inside of the tongue.  I should be able to easily get another year out of them too and I am HARD on boots.  Mud, water, concrete. hot amesite in the summer, sewer plant work, they see it all.  They NEVER get any good care which I gotta say I am a bit ashamed to admit.  Wear 'em everyday and come home and take 'em off and toss them to their spot till the next day and then put 'em on again.  Have yet to put boot oil or leather care products on the pair I have and they are still hanging in.  With better care I could easily get an extra year out of them.  As long as they keep making them that good in the USA I'll keep buying them.  Especially if the wife's family keeps selling them in their store. :smilewink:

• stiemmy said thank you