daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,721 Thanks
  • 6,497 posts

Posted November 15, 2016 - 11:01 PM

Should I start another thread for the show knives?

Yes,  I think that would bring many interesting posts.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#32 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 2,017 Thanks
  • 1,343 posts

Posted November 16, 2016 - 07:58 AM

This brings up something that has made me chuckle... why would you want a camo hunting knife? It's easy enough to put your regular knife down when field dressing and not find it. To go and deliberately make it hard to find? Just not in my program. Sure, they look cool, but I doubt if anyone has missed a shot because his knife was "safety orange"

...So you are saying it probably wasnt a good idea to get a camo print on my new phone?

• jimbobbillyray, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#33 jimbobbillyray OFFLINE  

jimbobbillyray
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,703 Thanks
  • 2,701 posts

Posted November 16, 2016 - 02:55 PM

For gutting and skinning deer I like using this Kershaw Alaskan knife. Works great, but I find that on a big buck I still need a axe to split the withers. The bone saw in this set ain't all it could be. I've cut up two deer with it so far this year

In my pocket, usually, is either a old Uncle Henry, a Buck 303,or of late its been a Case sod buster jr.....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20161116_134641.jpg

Edited by Delmar, November 16, 2016 - 03:21 PM.

• LilysDad, JBRamsey and Jazz have said thanks

#34 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,353 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted November 16, 2016 - 10:18 PM

[quote name="Delmar" post="727408" timestamp="1479326127"]For gutting and skinning deer I like using this Kershaw Alaskan knife. Works great, but I find that on a big buck I still need a axe to split the withers. The bone saw in this set ain't all it could be. I've cut up two deer with it so far this year

Not to get off topic, but I don't split them in the woods anymore. I cut the tail gut from outside(like coring an apple) and pull it out from inside. Keeps dirt and leaves from getting on the hams. You need a really sharp knife to circle it but it works out well.

#35 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 749 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 12:11 AM

I carry a Swiss Army Knife. 2 blades, saw, can, bottle opener and cork screw.  Found it years ago when I worked driving tow truck /auto wrecker. that was about 30 years ago.  It is begining to show sign of wear now.

Also on the belt I have a gerber multi tool that I have had for just over 20 years.  

• Jazz said thank you

#36 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 12,623 Thanks
  • 9,439 posts

Posted December 23, 2016 - 08:48 AM

I carry a Swiss Army Knife. 2 blades, saw, can, bottle opener and cork screw. . . .

How many of those tools do you actually use?

• Alberta Bolens said thank you

#37 Alberta Bolens OFFLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 749 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 01:42 AM

How many of those tools do you actually use?

All on the Swiss army knife, its very handy little tool.  It gets used for things I'm sure the designers never dreamed of.  Cork screw works well on O rings, as well as wine corks.  The saw I wouldn't build a house with it, It is very capable of cutting a 2 x 4 and doing it fairly quick.  It has good steel in the blades, sharpens up nice and hold an edge fairly good.  It will slcie a 4 inch 5,000 lb tie down strap easily,

• LilysDad said thank you

#38 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,187 Thanks
  • 1,354 posts

Posted December 24, 2016 - 08:42 AM

I carry a Swiss Army Knife. 2 blades, saw, can, bottle opener and cork screw.  Found it years ago when I worked driving tow truck /auto wrecker. that was about 30 years ago.  It is begining to show sign of wear now.

Also on the belt I have a gerber multi tool that I have had for just over 20 years.  

Must be quality piece to have not worn out the corkscrew and bottle opener after this many years.

• Alberta Bolens said thank you

#39 Greasy6020 ONLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 1,268 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 07:53 AM

My trusty, musty 20 some year old gerber. Been lost N found more times than I care to share. One of the few things I still own that says USA on it.

So that's where mine went last summer...

Have the exact same knife, I like it, just really needs a sharpening.

#40 Copperhead300 OFFLINE  

Copperhead300
  • Member No: 49297
  • 18 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted June 04, 2017 - 09:01 AM

In 1966, my sixth grade teacher took mine from me.  On the last day of school that year, I asked for it back and she returned it.  Today I carry  a Klein single blade.