Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

do you use a vintage GT for weekly mowing?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 09:49 AM

I would love to mow with that "beatup" mower.

:ditto:

Except it'd only be 2 passes for me :D

#17 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 11:20 AM

I use my 1973 Auto 14 Wheel Horse most of the time. But sometimes I like to use whatever I have just got home and running, I miss the J.D. 140 I sold Matt, It was a great tractor to mow with.

[ATTACH]15346[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails

• auto14 2.jpg

#18 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 12:00 PM

how many of you use your GT for your weekly mowing?

That is certainly a reasonable question to ask the members.

i mow my 2 acres with my IH cub cadet 147 and 42 deck once a week and i mow across the street bi-weekly. these machines were made to work and that's what i do with them.

There are many people who are like-minded. Many of the old GT's are still capable of putting a full day of work even after 40 plus years of use. But not all old GT's can be used this way because of the lack of available parts.

i wouldnt own a tractor with the intention of it being a garage queen.

Maybe so, but I bet that you go to tractor shows and drool over some of the totally restored machines on display. Some of us have to step up and preserve the very tractors that fellows such as yourself admire for their durability. Eventually, you may wear out that 147 or an unobtainable part will make it impossible for you to continue to use it. Then what?

i also run a qa42 blower on that same cub cadet and it handles all of my snow removal. i think the best part of owning one of these machines is the strength. they are a very strong tractor and very durable. i was in my tractor supply and i commented to someone on how the lawn tractors they sell are junky. i proceeded to comment that what i mow with is a 40 year old IH. woman said, oh one of those things that breaks down all of the time. i just laughed.

I have to wonder if that woman understood that you owned a GARDEN TRACTOR and if so, did she actually know that your garden tractor would cost ten grand to buy today? Lawn tractors are not "junky". These are machines that are made to a certain price point so that people with lower income levels can also ride around while cutting their lawn. Lawn tractors have been with us since the 50's and cost $150.00 to $200.00 at a time when true garden tractors cost 5 times as much.

Your comment is something like a Bentley owner saying that Lincoln's and Cadillac's are "junky". That statement might be true by comparison of the products but if you don't factor in the price difference, then there is no fairness.

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 02:01 PM

Just the lawn? I never ran my JD318 in the lawn proper at all yesterday. But did mow from 9AM till 4:30 PM yesterday in my reseeded clover in last years cornfield. Taking the weeds down that popped up.

I do put the power bagger on and mow the lawn weekly, yesterday was just not the day to do the lawn.

#20 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 02:41 PM

I mow with my Snapper every week. It is my only mower I dont know the year or model I just know it is named Joe and works its but off and is a blast to log seat time with.

#21 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 04:39 PM

Why yes I do mow with a vintage GT, 61 Farmall Cub with 5'woods belly, main mower, trim mowers are as follows 1450 massey-snapper repowerd 16 horse vangaurd 42"deck, and the 430 gravely commercial with the 40" front mount heavy duty finish mower. Before I sold the 56 cublow boy it was my main mower fancy paint and all. I blow snow and trim the pasture fence with the 110 Minneapolis Moline ,Haban sickle mower. I do about three acres of plowed and tilled garden with the 1014 AMF; I have two good 48" belly mowers for it,but seldom use it for mowing dutys because it stays busy plowing ,tilling , planting. I mow the grass at the farm with two 222 case gt. I would rather machine or cast parts for my odd stuff than let it under the cover and not work. Mine earn their keep or get transformed,parted. I try to keep the odd machines original, the not so odd I customize to fit my needs. God bless America............Shawn

#22 Deck_Drive OFFLINE  

Deck_Drive

collector of sears

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 736
  • 96 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 05:50 PM

I TRY to mow with a vintage machine every few days (its so wet up here that the lawn needs a cut ever 3 days!). but sometimes the 10 just wont run right or fight me the whole time, so most of the cutting is left to the YTH4500. the 10 will do the smaller sides of the yard and the back field.

#23 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 06:02 PM

It's that dumb aluminum drive hub isn't it? My Springfield will mow but only at about 5"

It is the center drive pulley/hexshaft/universal joint type of system, and each one has too much play in the universal type part, so I will have to decide how to make it with regular off the shelf components.

#24 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 06:11 PM

Yes bet we do. We currenty use a Bolens HT-20. Last year was a Case 220

#25 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 06:17 PM

I would love to, but my 60" deck housing won't fit thru the 48" gate. And I ain't taking it off and putting it back on every time I go thru the gate.

#26 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 06:22 PM

Kenny, Just widen the gate.....LOL

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 06:38 PM

Already have a wider gate, just can"t get to it because I keep bending stuff.

#28 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 07:08 PM

The only mowing that I do with any of my Garden tractors anymore is tantamount to brush hogging LOL. I use the Wheel Horse 314-8 when I want to knock down the back field, as long as it's not more than a foot high. The low range first gear setting is very nice for this purpose as it gives the mower a chance to chew up the tall stuff really good and not get clogged up. It used to be my main mower, but now I use my Zero-turn for the everyday mowing duties. I mow about 3 acres and it took forever using the 314 (about 6 to 7 hours)! The angle of attack of the blades and the blade speed would only allow me to cut in 2nd high at the fastest to do a nice job. It takes me about 2 1/2 hours now and I've expanded the yard by about 3/4 acre.

#29 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 07:20 PM

Still use the Massey 1655 to mow with ,right now its used 2-3 times a week to cut grass with.Grass is growing like mad due to it being wet.Its also used to blow snow with in the winter as well.My Grandson uses it more then I do to cut with.But hey isn't that what's supposed to happen.:laughingteeth: Just hope he doesn't take too much of my fun seat time away.LOL Naw that won't happen he's in school during the day and I have full access to my tractors when ever I want to get seat time..:bounce:Larry

#30 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 07:39 PM

I bought the WH D160 with the express purpose of mowing with it. I Have a MTD yard machine that was given to me that I have used for 7 years. Its starting to show its age and wear. It has been a good mower and the engine is still great in it. I wanted an excuse to get another GT and making it a weekly mower is gonna be fun.