• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DZG ONLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 547 Thanks
  • 471 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 08:06 AM

Got the engine put in my LT8, i got spark, compression, and it will fire on ether, i also got fuel to the carb bowl.

I read on here in my last thred that they wont run without the anti backfire solenoid, but it could be pulled out and replaced with a bolt, which is what i did, and it still wont run.

I have pulled the carb apart, cleaned it good and float and needle function properly.

So can someone explain to me how the anti backfire solenoid actually works?

Does this sound like why it wont run?

If it is can i just hook it to a toggle switch? Since the tractor is now push button start?

Thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,612 Thanks
  • 17,952 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 08:24 AM

If its the one I'm thinking the solenoid cuts off fuel flow when the key is off.

Whats the model and spec of this engine?

#3 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • Member No: 2755
  • 742 Thanks
  • 746 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 08:36 AM

You can use a toggle.I have done it on replacement motor It shuts off the fuel to jets when no power. The bolt you used might of been to long sealing the passage way. One other thing check the end of solenoid that the tip still on it and not lodged in passage way seat.

Edited by gopher, November 13, 2016 - 08:41 AM.

#4 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,268 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 08:50 AM

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/  Try this link if your solenoid is working ok. This link contains some good info on cleaning

#5 DZG ONLINE  

DZG
  • 547 Thanks
  • 471 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 09:47 AM

You can use a toggle.I have done it on replacement motor It shuts off the fuel to jets when no power. The bolt you used might of been to long sealing the passage way. One other thing check the end of solenoid that the tip still on it and not lodged in passage way seat.

The bolt is flush with the bottom of the bowl. Maybe the passage way is plugged then? I thought i cleaned it all good but maybe i missed that.

There is a black,rubbery tip on the solenoid.
Edit----------
That link isnt working.

Edit #2------------

I dont think tbe solenoid is anygood anyways. After watching youtube i see that the plunger should be up when no power is on it, mine is stuck down.

So i must be looking at a plugged jet.

Edited by DZG, November 13, 2016 - 09:59 AM.

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,972 Thanks
  • 8,664 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 12:14 PM

Simple T/S for the solenoid.  remove the solenoid the apply 12 V to the connection and ground the body.  The plunger should retract allowing fuel to pass.  When the 12 V is removed the plunger should extend blocking fuel.  If your plunger does not move the Solenoid is bad and should be replaced.  If it does then you need to check to see if you are getting 12 V to the solenoid when the ignition switch is on.  If all this checks out then you have an issue with the carburetor. 

When you pull the float bowl is there fuel in it?  That would be one indication as to weather you are getting fuel.  If not is the float working correctly?  Next would be the jet's Make sure they are clear.

#7 DZG ONLINE  

DZG
  • 547 Thanks
  • 471 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 02:58 PM

I got it running.

I pulled the carb apart again, and realized that the jet was still plugged, blew that out, and in the process of reassembly the little gasket inside made of rubber wouldnt reseat, so i tore out the middle and juat kept the ring around the bowl, bad idea, as i had fuel coming from every orifiace on the carb.

So, i pulled the carb off the other briggs i/c i got thats 5 or 6 years older, after swapping intake manifolds, and a good carb cleaning (the older one didnt have that stupid maze looking gasket, just the one around the bowl, old school FTW), i put it on and it started after 2 cranks, runs kinda shitty, but it ran without ether, im sure ill have to tune it in yet, but i need to get a way of shutting it off before i go to much further.

The older carb had a fuel solenoid, which seems to be functioning properly, could i wire it into a toggle (i put the bolt there for now) and use that to kill the engine?

#8 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • 742 Thanks
  • 746 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 03:16 PM

The gasket and ethanol just don't get along. Seems as if as soon as air hits it it swells up. The solenoid is not made to kill motor it's function is to stop gas flow while motor is coming to stop. Your ground wire to coil kills the motor.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#9 DZG ONLINE  

DZG
  • 547 Thanks
  • 471 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 04:19 PM

So, all i gotta do to wire in a kill switch is wire the ground wire into a switch before it goes to ground, just to break the ground on the coil?

Sorry, ive never messed with wireing much

#10 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher
  • 742 Thanks
  • 746 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 04:45 PM

Not sure of exact motor you have. But should be small black wire on side of shroud running to the magneto or a little insulated bolt and nut on side of shroud that is the kill wire. Taking so long to get back with you tearing down Case GT  for project. A lot of Briggs have that wire going to the throttle linkage that grounds when turned all the way down. Hope this helps.

Edited by gopher, November 13, 2016 - 04:48 PM.