• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 eastcreek OFFLINE  

eastcreek
  • Member No: 85231
  • 32 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 07:02 AM

I just got this as payment for some boat repair work I recently did. It has the dual transmissions and hydraulic lift. A friend helped me pick it up and we got it running today. It runs great! I'm not crazy about the exhaust, I'd rather have the muffler down low and the 48" mower deck is missing two of the spindles and all three blades as well as the belts. I always wanted one of these but now that I've got it I'm not sure what I'll do with it. Hiding the present collection is already a bit of a challenge. My friend at who's house it's presently hiding thinks I need to sell it to him but I kind of like it. 

Any ideas what it's worth? (I'm sure nowhere near what the boat repair was worth but oh well.) Where would I start looking for spindles and blades to put the deck back together?

IMG_0342_zpsslwedp5f.jpg

IMG_0341_zpsbnw57ely.jpg

IMG_0340_zpsgldkso28.jpg

• Gtractor, Traill95, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 1,222 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 08:45 AM

Hi eastcreek, welcome to the group and Power King ownership, looks like a nice project tractor a little work aqnd you will have a nice tractor. I don't like vertical exhaust either the original looks better the exhaust fumes are down and awy from you and no worries about hitting something and braking it off or worse braking the engine exhaust port.  As for parts ebay is a good place to look also Mission Mfg has parts  

http://powerkingtractor.com/

here's another dealer:  

http://www.servicepr...ng_Parts.html  

I don't see a drawbar / hitch did you get that with it?

Edited by MNGB, November 13, 2016 - 08:48 AM.

#3 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,638 Thanks
  • 4,702 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 09:09 AM

Looks great!!   :thumbs:

Don't let your friend talk you into selling.  This ones yours.

He'll have to find another. :deadhorse:

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,843 Thanks
  • 8,682 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 09:29 AM

Welcome to GTT. Each spring through autumn there are tractor shows and swap meets. You may find the parts you need at them. Also try our sponsors for parts. Check our Manuals Section for info that you want. Good Luck, Rick

#5 eastcreek OFFLINE  

eastcreek
  • 32 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 09:46 AM

I don't see a drawbar / hitch did you get that with it?

No hitch, just what is in the photos. I've been thinking I need to rig up some type of sleeve hitch hooked to the hydraulic lift for moving trailers around. I'm sure it's been done before but what search words would lead me there?

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 1,222 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 11:18 AM

Hi the 1976 PK would have had a 3 pt hitch,  they come up on e bay at times, I would ask the fellow you got the tractor from if he might have it laying around somewhere, if all you want is a sleeve hitch type then the older (before 76) lift drawbar would work also. I'll attach a 73 & 76 sale brochure and you can kind of see the hitches you may want to get the thumb drive with over 30000 pages of information on the Economy & Power King tractors

Attached File  1973 Sales Brochure.pdf   6.63MB   59 downloads

Attached File  1976 Sales Brochure.pdf   7.14MB   53 downloads

• Alc said thank you

#7 eastcreek OFFLINE  

eastcreek
  • 32 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 02:34 PM

Thanks.

The man i got it from never used it. He got it from a friend of his a few  years ago so maybe that guy still has some parts laying around. Did all 1976 tractor come with the 3 point hitch? I figured it was an accessory that this tractor didn't have. 

#8 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 1,222 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 03:54 PM

Hi yes it should have had a 3 pt hitch on it, they started with a 3 pt in 1975, before that they had a lift draw bar there's a picture of it in the 1973 sale brochure I uploaded, yea I'd follow up and see if the hitch can be found.

#9 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 783 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 06:41 PM

Good looking machine! It looks to be in about the same condition as mine when I got it. Buff that paint out and boy she'll clean up. :thumbs:

#10 eastcreek OFFLINE  

eastcreek
  • 32 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted November 27, 2016 - 07:45 PM

Not much of an update. I spoke to the man I got it from who spoke to the man he got it from. It's highly unlikely I'll be getting the missing spindles or three point hitch. The older owner thought he'd given everything to the man I got it from and isn't interested in looking since he doesn't believe he's got any parts. He also apparently has several large sheds filled with stuff so he probably couldn't find much without a lot of effort on his part.

If anyone has a lead on spindles for a 48" deck or a 3 point hitch setup that's not too unreasonable I'm interested. It runs great and seems like it doesn't have a lot of hours on it but it's not real useful presently without a mower or hitch.

#11 LA2TN OFFLINE  

LA2TN
  • Member No: 63647
  • 23 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted December 04, 2016 - 05:16 PM

East creek, nice tractor. I've got a 1975 pretty much just like yours. My dad bought it new in 75 and I recently inherited it. It's not running yet, but I'm messing with it when I have time.

#12 eastcreek OFFLINE  

eastcreek
  • 32 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted December 05, 2016 - 09:42 AM

Mine just needed some of the electrical connections cleaned and it fired right up. It had no spark with the dirty connections. I haven't really decided what I'll do with mine but if I can find a snowplow reasonably that will help justify keeping it. I had worked my way up to some JD diesel tractors but the simplicity of this is really appealing. Good luck with yours.

#13 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 38 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted December 15, 2016 - 02:02 PM

Not much of an update. I spoke to the man I got it from who spoke to the man he got it from. It's highly unlikely I'll be getting the missing spindles or three point hitch. The older owner thought he'd given everything to the man I got it from and isn't interested in looking since he doesn't believe he's got any parts. He also apparently has several large sheds filled with stuff so he probably couldn't find much without a lot of effort on his part.

If anyone has a lead on spindles for a 48" deck or a 3 point hitch setup that's not too unreasonable I'm interested. It runs great and seems like it doesn't have a lot of hours on it but it's not real useful presently without a mower or hitch.

I had to replace a spindle on my mower deck this summer.  If you are not in a hurry, you might find something on Ebay.  I see you are in NY so you have the rest of the winter to find parts.  I had to go to Mission Mfg. in Indiana.  They had the better price for a new complete spindle assembly but it was not cheap; $170ish for 1 spindle if I remember right.  I was in the dead of summer and the grass was growing so I couldn't wait.  Since you need more than a single spindle, you might want to keep an eye open for a used deck to scavenge parts.

Lots of sellers on Ebay have the blades.  They tend to run $10-15 per blade.

You can also watch Ebay for the 3 pt. hitch.  I see them from time to time.

You can also try the Power King Yahoo group - Lots of helpful folks that are always peddling parts.  Next best is set up searches on Ebay and Craigslist to alert you when items of interest come up.  I use the keywords "economy power king".

Looks like a relatively clean tractor.  Is that a period correct seat for a 1976?  Converting back to a stock exhaust should be easy.

Edited by zuren, December 15, 2016 - 02:07 PM.

#14 eastcreek OFFLINE  

eastcreek
  • 32 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted January 14, 2017 - 07:55 PM

With some forum help on a few different threads I've gotten a few things done.

First was removing the stack and going back to factory exhaust. The pipe was from a forum member and the muffler from eBay.

IMG_0416-2_zpsgfi597as.jpg

Another forumite posted a CL ad with a few items I'd expressed an interest in finding. My son and a friend took a 7 hour round trip and returned with a front blade, tire chains, and a 48" deck that looks to have all the parts that are missing from the deck that came with the tractor.

IMG_0410_zpsgprtrg9f.jpg

Front blade mounted and working with home made lift rod.

IMG_0423_zpsr7etqjdj.jpg

Battery and box installed. The wires are the wrong color but I'll get to that some other time.

IMG_0424_zpsrefg0gh9.jpg

#15 eastcreek OFFLINE  

eastcreek
  • 32 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted January 14, 2017 - 08:01 PM

The chains fit perfectly and I made a squeegee edge from a horse stall mat and installed that today. Now I can move some snow next time we get some. I still want to install the amber strobe soon to finish off the snow setup for this winter. Maybe next summer I can start stripping and painting a few pieces at a time.

IMG_0431_zpsj2cgkonq.jpg

Thanks to all who helped with info. and advice.

Roger

• KennyP said thank you