• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sethra OFFLINE  

sethra
  • Member No: 84745
  • 46 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 01:26 PM

Hi! I have a ford lgt145 closed sided. And my deck belt (not pto to deck) but the actual deck. Let it self keeps getting all chewed up when I mow. I know o have the right sized belt but I just can not figure out why this continues to happen. Has anybody else had this issue ? What could be going on ??

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7079.JPG

#2 jimbobbillyray OFFLINE  

jimbobbillyray
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 3,055 Thanks
  • 2,888 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 01:43 PM

hello and welcome to GTtalk sethra. Glad u found this site! 

Good question.  First I would be sure that the belt is running the right direction.  If that checks out ok, then It could be that you have a wore out idler pulley, or blade pulley, on the deck. It could be that one of the pulleys is loose. it could be a bolt sticking up somewhere that the belt is rubbing on.  It might be the tension spring is too loose or too tight. Having the right size belt doesn't always mean that it is the right type of belt either.  I would try running the deck without the belt cover on it, just to watch the deck blade belt go around, see if maybe it is rubbing or catching somewhere.  be careful doing that, wear some safety glasses,you don't want something flying out at you.

Edited by Delmar, November 10, 2016 - 01:47 PM.

• sethra said thank you

#3 sethra OFFLINE  

sethra
  • 46 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 01:46 PM

hello and welcome to GTtalk sethra. Glad u found this site! 

Good question.  It could be that you have a wore out idler pulley, or belt pulley, on the deck. It could be that one of the pulleys is loose. it could be a bolt sticking up somewhere that the belt is rubbing on.  It might be the tension spring is too loose or too tight. Having the right size belt doesn't always mean that it is the right type of belt either.  I would try running the deck without the belt cover on it, just to watch the deck blade belt go around, see if maybe it is rubbing or catching somewhere.

yeah I was thinking about running it with the deck cover off also, I think ill do that and check to see if anything is loose or protruding. thank you so much for the suggestions !

• chieffan said thank you

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 10,873 Thanks
  • 6,910 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 02:37 PM

I have the deck cover off all the time.  They just gather a bunch of grass and start to rot away the deck.

#5 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 4,010 Thanks
  • 2,881 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 04:36 PM

:welcometogttalk: & :wewantpics:  please.

#6 sethra OFFLINE  

sethra
  • 46 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 05:13 PM

I have the deck cover off all the time. They just gather a bunch of grass and start to rot away the deck.

Okay so I looked at it and mowed with it and the belt seemed to wear down a tad. I noticed that on the inside of the pulleys the metal is s little rough from a a little surface rust. Do you think that could cause it ?

Edited by sethra, November 10, 2016 - 05:14 PM.

#7 sethra OFFLINE  

sethra
  • 46 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 09:53 PM

:welcometogttalk: & :wewantpics:  please.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7083.JPG
  • IMG_7093.JPG
  • IMG_7361.JPG
  • IMG_7363.JPG

• Rock farmer and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#8 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 550 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 11:33 PM

Check the spring to the idler pulley. How bad has it rusted. If it is corroded away it may be getting weak enough to allow the belt to slip some. It may seem OK just spinning it by hand but when cutting grass there may be enough load on it to cause it to slip. Take a block of wood to jam a blade & try spinning the drive pulley by hand to see if there is any slip. You may see some movement of the idler pulley as you try to do this, if it moves a lot then the spring is weak. I am thinking some where I have seen a reference to how strong the spring needs to be but looking through the manuals that I have I can not find it.

Welcome to GTT

Charlie

• sethra said thank you

#9 sethra OFFLINE  

sethra
  • 46 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 11, 2016 - 01:04 AM

Check the spring to the idler pulley. How bad has it rusted. If it is corroded away it may be getting weak enough to allow the belt to slip some. It may seem OK just spinning it by hand but when cutting grass there may be enough load on it to cause it to slip. Take a block of wood to jam a blade & try spinning the drive pulley by hand to see if there is any slip. You may see some movement of the idler pulley as you try to do this, if it moves a lot then the spring is weak. I am thinking some where I have seen a reference to how strong the spring needs to be but looking through the manuals that I have I can not find it.

Welcome to GTT
Charlie

Here are some photos. I will try to see if it slips tomorrow I tried earlier today to get the pulleys off but haven't had any luck as they are stuck on there so I'm letting them soak in pb blaster over night.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7405.JPG
  • IMG_7406.JPG
  • IMG_7407.JPG
  • IMG_7408.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,023 Thanks
  • 46,722 posts

Posted November 11, 2016 - 05:47 AM

You might want to read this thread. It's where I rebuilt my 42" deck. Might answer some questions for you. I use a 50/50 mix of Acetone and ATF for rusty parts. That Acetone really attacks the rust. Need a container with a lid so the Acetone doesn't evaporate out of it and you can shake to mix together.

#11 sethra OFFLINE  

sethra
  • 46 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 11, 2016 - 08:34 AM

You might want to read this thread. It's where I rebuilt my 42" deck. Might answer some questions for you. I use a 50/50 mix of Acetone and ATF for rusty parts. That Acetone really attacks the rust. Need a container with a lid so the Acetone doesn't evaporate out of it and you can shake to mix together.

have any suggestions as to how to get the pulleys off ?

Edited by sethra, November 11, 2016 - 08:35 AM.

#12 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 550 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted November 11, 2016 - 08:44 AM

Both of those pulleys are looking rough. How strong are they metal wise if there is plenty of metal you could sand them to smooth out the surface. What type of belts are you using I use Kevlar belts they do seem have a lot less wear on rough surfaces. Kevlar belts usually a different color. the I use are red in color, but I have also seen them in blue, both seem to be using the same material. To remove the pulleys a puller is probably what is needed but use one that is designed for pulleys. Harbor Freight has them, also a bearing puller may be a better choice. 

Charlie

• sethra said thank you

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 40,023 Thanks
  • 46,722 posts

Posted November 11, 2016 - 08:54 AM

I read through the thread, but don't remember right now what I used to get that pulley off. I know I destroyed the pulley getting it off. But it was pretty bad to start with. Not sure if you can get a bearing puller between the deck and pulley.

• sethra said thank you

#14 sethra OFFLINE  

sethra
  • 46 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 12, 2016 - 01:21 AM

I read through the thread, but don't remember right now what I used to get that pulley off. I know I destroyed the pulley getting it off. But it was pretty bad to start with. Not sure if you can get a bearing puller between the deck and pulley.

okay so i managed to get two of them off tonight. all two of the three are completely trash, could tou point me in the right direction of new pulleys ? or do they not sell them ? 

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 40,023 Thanks
  • 46,722 posts

Posted November 12, 2016 - 06:13 AM

I got a pulley from TSC. Took that center out and used the Ford center.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ford, lgt, ford lgt, 145, ford lgt 145, closed sided, belt, mower deck