4 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • Member No: 69804
  • 110 Thanks
  • 115 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 04:37 AM

Hi All

I know this topic has been fairly well covered, but some information conflicts so just to be sure i get it right.

I am referring here to correct setting and subsequent function of the governor on a Wisconsin S8D engine. (800 Tractor)

1) Setting the governor:  Governor lever should be all the way back (Wide Open Position), Loosen nut and turn shaft CLOCKWISE until it bottoms out and tighten whilst holding lever in wide open state.

2) Governor spring should have a slight slack while at idle without being loose & touching engine case. Spring in approx third hole from bottom in governor lever.

3) At full throttle should? the governor be trying to close the throttle?

4) Control rod - Currently i need a spring below my control rod. This spring runs from the top 1/2 of the governor lever and is required currently to pull the governor lever CLOCKWISE to return it to idle. Never seen such a spring required in any manual or pic leading me to believe that my set up and adjustment is wrong.

If any experts could confirm (Or correct) my statements above i would be much appreciated. Descriptions on correct adjustment also welcomed as are pictures of the linkage in the idle and wide open positions.

Thanks in advance

Mike

• fogler12538 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,436 Thanks
  • 8,469 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 08:30 AM

I don't know the answers but you can download these manuals and see:  http://gardentractor...-line-brochure/   ,   http://gardentractor...12d-tra-10d12d/   , and  http://gardentractor...n-repair-specs/   .  Good Luck, Rick

• MichaelBeck said thank you

#3 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,822 Thanks
  • 2,413 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 08:57 AM

I am referring here to correct setting and subsequent function of the governor on a Wisconsin S8D engine. (800 Tractor)

2) Governor spring should have a slight slack while at idle without being loose & touching engine case. Correct.

3) At full throttle should? the governor be trying to close the throttle?

Full throttle - engine OFF - Governor spring should hold carb throttle wide-open.

Full throttle - engine RUNNING - Governor should be counter-acting spring pressure, trying to close throttle.

• Bolens 1000, boyscout862 and MichaelBeck have said thanks

#4 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • Member No: 69804
  • 110 Thanks
  • 115 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 12:13 PM

Thank you both for your help. Am i correct in my statement about setting the shaft vs lever?

Following on from Point 3) - Should the engine when cranked (ie starting) have the carb in the wide open position before it reverts to whatever throttle position it is set to once running?

Thanks !

#5 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,822 Thanks
  • 2,413 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 01:31 PM

Am i correct in my statement about setting the shaft vs lever?  I don't remember off the top of my head, so someone else will need to answer.

Following on from Point 3) - Should the engine when cranked (ie starting) have the carb in the wide open position before it reverts to whatever throttle position it is set to once running?

There is no set rule for how to start the engine.  .....Each individual engine has its own "personality" which you will have to learn.

Some engines like full-throttle setting, others prefer idle position or part-throttle. 

The same applies for the choke setting.  .....Some engines require little or no choking when hot or cold, while others may require using the choke only when cold, while others may require the choke at any time.

It will take some time to learn what your engine prefers for variable conditions.  

I would suggest setting the throttle half-way before cranking.  ......If engine does not start immediately, apply choke.  ....It should start while the choke is being applied, either partially or fully applied.  ....Gradually open the choke to keep the engine running.

If the engine runs only when the choke is applied, there is a fuel or ignition problem.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you