#1 Zekkjacen OFFLINE  

Zekkjacen
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 38932
  • 146 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted November 09, 2016 - 09:58 PM

Anyone have experience with majic paint?  I used Rustoleum, which laid great, but wanted a different color than I started. I picked up Majic White and then IH white. I can't get either one to lay well even with putting primer down.  It runs and pools up.

Thoughts?

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#2 Zekkjacen OFFLINE  

Zekkjacen
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 146 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted November 09, 2016 - 10:03 PM

Here are some pics. Am I just really bad with this paint? Other paints always really laid down well.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4825.JPG
  • IMG_4822.JPG
  • IMG_4822.JPG

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#3 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted November 09, 2016 - 10:09 PM

We have had complaints with the Majic paint before.
It seems to be not nearly as well made as the previous paint (made by rustoleum or valspar?)
Someone said it was soy based?
  • Alc said thank you

#4 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 449 Thanks
  • 452 posts

Posted November 09, 2016 - 10:11 PM

If the paint is running or pooling, that is because it's being put on to thick. Try dusting the paint on until you get the coverage you want. Don't flood the paint.
  • Alc, blackjackjakexxix, Zekkjacen and 1 other said thanks

#5 Zekkjacen OFFLINE  

Zekkjacen
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 146 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted November 09, 2016 - 10:27 PM

If the paint is running or pooling, that is because it's being put on to thick. Try dusting the paint on until you get the coverage you want. Don't flood the paint.

I was trying to.  I know is says many thin layers...  my goodness though, a mist with 24hrs to dry between coats?  It would take 1 week to get one layer on.

#6 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 637 Thanks
  • 569 posts

Posted November 09, 2016 - 11:36 PM

I suggest to stay away from the spray cans unless you have time between coats. Best if you get a sprayer and mix the paint with the proper amount of reducer and hardener.

• Bolens 1000 and Eric have said thanks

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,285 Thanks
  • 5,988 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 12:10 AM

It sure looks like to much paint is being applied to quickly. The second photo shows "fish eyes" forming which is usually caused from contaminants being on the surface of the materials being painted. Could be water, or an oily substance.

• blackjackjakexxix, Zekkjacen, Paulgo and 1 other said thanks

#8 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,353 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 12:26 AM

Silicon on the surface will cause fisheye. This can be from Permatex, ArmourAll, things like that.
  • blackjackjakexxix and Zekkjacen have said thanks

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,384 Thanks
  • 3,015 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 12:46 AM

That stuff SUCKS lol.

That's what it does no matter how many thin coats you put on it.I've tried the recommended many thin coats and it still runs no matter how careful you are unless you mist it on and wait atleast 24 hours for it to set up.

Only good thing it has going for it is how nice and glossy it is once it's dry.If it dries lol.Seems to take 2-3 days to set up if you manage to get it on thick enough to cover the primer.

The new Rustoleum rattle can paint "If you can find it" isn't much better.The paint doesn't cover as well as it used to and the new nozzles on them "If they don't snap off when you pry open the can" are horrible.They spit and sputter and clog up.I ended up pulling a used nozzle off of a dollar store paint can on them to finish painting the plow on my Cub.

Your much much better off buying a cheap paint gun and a quart of paint some thinner and hardener.Once you have the gun set up to where it sprays evenly you won't ever look at another rattle can.Paint is cheaper by the quart even after you get hardener and thinner and it will last alot longer.A quart of paint will completely cover a deck on all surfaces.Underside and all and you'll still have enough to put a couple coats on a Plow or a Cubby hood.

It takes a bit more air than you'll think it should but if you put a good coat down then let your compressor catch up and shut down and cool off for a bit while you let the paint tac up you'll be fine with a medium sized compressor.I've painted with my little 3 gallon pancake compressor before but it only likes the smaller HVLP gun.

I have this set.The larger gun is OK but the smaller gun I can get some good flat paint down with.Both of them are a pain in the arse to clean up afterwards though.

http://www.harborfre...-kit-94572.html

• Alc, blackjackjakexxix, Zekkjacen and 2 others have said thanks

#10 karel ONLINE  

karel
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,922 Thanks
  • 1,296 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 04:25 AM

Surface prep. #1

• Zekkjacen, MyBolens1053, Coventry Plumber and 1 other said thanks

#11 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,081 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 05:06 AM

Did you use a rattle can or mix the paint?  Either way majic paint is pretty hard to use, if you mix it then make sure you buy there brand thinner. nothing else works.  the rattle cans are hard to use in general the thinner / reducer used is very slow evaporating so it tends to pool and run allot.

• Coventry Plumber said thank you

#12 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 07:11 AM

So, what I'm seeing here, as a general consensus, is that the only thing 'Majic' about this paint is watching your money and time disappear...
  • Bolens 1000, olcowhand, Bruce Dorsi and 2 others have said thanks

#13 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,525 Thanks
  • 9,821 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 07:26 AM

It is not impossible: http://gardentractor...e-8#entry725524

I use Valspar Tractor and Implement paint. Any and all issues with paint were my fault.

I also use a HF gun, the $15 all purple one, and think it's a breeze to clean up.

IMG_0834.JPG
  • blackjackjakexxix and petrj6 have said thanks

#14 jdcrawler ONLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,769 Thanks
  • 1,832 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 09:43 AM

I have always had good results with the Valspar rattle can paint that TSC use to carry.

I tried the Majic when TSC switched to it and I did not like it at all.

Lowes carries Valspar.   They don't carry tractor colors but can order it for me and have it in a few days.

• LPBolens, Alc and Cat385B have said thanks

#15 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,081 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 11:37 AM

Not saying it is bad paint at all, just that you are getting what you pay for. TSC paint is $30 ?? A gallon plus thinner and reducer it us relatively cheap and for the money is ok. If you want something to look really nice and spray really well you have to pony up the extra $. PPG makes some great single stage paints that spray and cover well then polish up really nice. They are just about 2x the money for half the quantity. I agree with cat, decent paint for the money you just have to be careful and patient
  • Bolens 1000 and Alc have said thanks