Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

NEW to Bolens and to restoring a tractor (newbie)

bolens 800 husky restoration newbie

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,822 Thanks
  • 2,413 posts

Posted November 08, 2016 - 05:56 PM

Any clue about the air cleaner ? How do I get that filter out it's pretty gunked up

Can you get a pic of it?  ....I'm not sure if you have the oil-bath type or the dry filter.

#17 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • Member No: 78769
  • 244 Thanks
  • 156 posts

Posted November 08, 2016 - 07:39 PM

Good advice above about not forcing the muffler.  I did that on a Cadet 60 and broke the cast iron manifold.  Take it   S  L  O  W  !

Welcome to the forum!

#18 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 915 Thanks
  • 622 posts

Posted November 09, 2016 - 03:08 AM

Just to replace it because it's pretty rusted ( a few holes on the side ) i will try your methods . Thanks . Any clue about the air cleaner ? How do I get that filter out it's pretty gunked up

The pipe going into the elbow is Cross threaded and it looks like a thread is missing towards the muffler, cut the outer half of the muffler off on the engine side of seam, this should free the baffle and give access to the end of pipe, if threads on end of pipe are beyond cleaning cut or grind them back to good threads, dress the end threads with a file or good sandpaper before installing new muffler, if female threaded muffler is not available you will need a new elbow(any hardware store) from the engine for the more common mufflers
IMG_6524.MOV
IMG_6523.JPG\

that's as far as she comes out until it stops

#19 Jarrett OFFLINE  

Jarrett
  • Member No: 85164
  • 27 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted November 09, 2016 - 07:35 PM

I will take a pic of the air cleaner tomorrow. I believe its oil bath and for now I think I'm going to leave the Muffiler alone. I don't want to cut anything at the moment . I have more important things like the air cleaner , oil and all the regular maintence stuff to do before I try and start her again . You guys are really helpful thanks

#20 Jarrett OFFLINE  

Jarrett
  • 27 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 07:28 PM

Can you get a pic of it?  ....I'm not sure if you have the oil-bath type or the dry filter.

Its oil  bath 

IMG_6534.JPG

okay guys so i took of the carburetor and the gasket was shot like i figured.. i cleaned up a little bit of the side to find the numbers which was L80D. The gasket i got seemed pretty close to it but it's wrong which i was told previously but i looked at them side by side and not everything was exactly perfect, the original from what's left has that round hole on the right side and the gasket i got doesn't have that hole ( idk how much that matters) and around the center hole it shouldn't really have those notches . is the kit definitely Lq40?

IMG_6531.JPG IMG_6533.JPG  IMG_6536.JPG

#21 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 07:32 PM

The oil bath comes apart in two sections, you will see some wire mesh inside the element itself if very dirty flush with mineral spirits or kerosene, the bottom part that holds the oil the generally catches the big particles, clean that out and fill to the fill line with fresh 30wt oil.

I know I spoke to you in PM about that carb kit , definietly looks aftermarket of some sort, Ive never seen those numbers on any of the genuine kits I have instock.

Make sure your jets and needle are the same as in that kit, you may be able to use it if everything lines up.

#22 Jarrett OFFLINE  

Jarrett
  • 27 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 07:42 PM

Hmmm I'll return this one and order yours . And the air cleaner unscrews into 2 parts yes but is there any way that metal ring right before the mesh comes off so you can really clean that mesh good ? Or just clean as much as you can around the bottom of it and then flush it with mineral spirits / Kerosene ?

Edited by Jarrett, November 10, 2016 - 07:59 PM.

#23 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted November 10, 2016 - 07:57 PM

I dont think these particular units  were meant to come apart, you just have to clean them the best you can

• Jarrett said thank you

#24 Jarrett OFFLINE  

Jarrett
  • 27 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted November 20, 2016 - 12:22 AM

So guys ..I rebuilt the carb , cleaned the air cleaner ( screwed the top back on after the video ) , new battery and boom ! It started right up after I pushed the button ...I was shocked on how fast it started considering it hasn't run in years . Now i just have to tune the carb right because it will race up real high . Tomorrow is another day but man did I have a smile on my face today.

Attached Files

Edited by Jarrett, November 20, 2016 - 12:41 AM.

• Bolens 1000 and Bruce Dorsi have said thanks

#25 bonusbuilt1950 ONLINE  

bonusbuilt1950
  • Member No: 82972
  • 375 Thanks
  • 184 posts

Posted November 20, 2016 - 11:49 AM

Glad you're making progress.......

#26 SC Farmer OFFLINE  

SC Farmer
  • Member No: 78769
  • 244 Thanks
  • 156 posts

Posted November 21, 2016 - 05:59 AM

Don't ya just love it when you get that first start?  Nothing much like it...

#27 Jarrett OFFLINE  

Jarrett
  • 27 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted March 26, 2017 - 04:23 PM

I'm so ready to start the project back up once the weather is a little nicer as well as getting the boat ready for the season !
  • Bolens 1000 and stiemmy have said thanks

#28 Jarrett OFFLINE  

Jarrett
  • 27 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 18, 2017 - 07:07 PM

So on Easter I started the bolens up and she turned over right away .I changed the oil ( which hasn't been done ever by us or at least my father can't remember if he ever did because it mainly just sat around ) there was only half a quart in it and black ...what abuse. I aerated the lawn and it ran great . Anyhow besides the mechanical stuff ( which I'm currently working on ) I'm going to be painting the hood , seat , wheels etc . I know there is a big list of paint codes and I think I know which ones I need but what's the way I go about doing this ? I dont need a show finish . I want to use the tractor ( not full time ) I saw the Restoruem canvas white and regal red sprays. I will be getting all of those pieces sand blasted so I assume I should spray a primer and then the restoruem canvas white ? And will it be fine with all of that heat from the engine ? Thanks for he help guys
  • Bolens 1000 and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#29 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted April 19, 2017 - 09:59 AM

Paint codes can be found in the sticky section of this forum.

If your using a rustoleum brand the canvas white and regal red is close , the frame is metallic cordovan brown and no good rustoleum match is good for that. I ended up painting mine leather brown on my first restorations before we knew the correct colors :wallbanging:

• blackjackjakexxix and Jarrett have said thanks

#30 Jarrett OFFLINE  

Jarrett
  • 27 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 22, 2017 - 01:19 PM

Thanks I'll check it out . Also I saw I needed 90wt gl 1 for the gear oil . I've looked all around the diffferent stores by me and no one has it . I read up on some threads and some people use 85-90wt gl4 which I can find . Is that okay to use ?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens 800 husky, restoration, newbie