Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

NEW to Bolens and to restoring a tractor (newbie)

bolens 800 husky restoration newbie

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Jarrett OFFLINE  

Jarrett
  • Member No: 85164
  • 27 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted November 07, 2016 - 07:41 PM

Hello all!!! My name is Jarrett. I am NEW to all of this ...all of this meaning.. restoring a tractor and to the forum. My short explanation is we acquired this Bolens  Husky 800 ( 64'-65') with a Wisconsin s-8d  from what i found out  from my research and engine plate. we got this tractor from its original owner who was a neighbor/ friend of mines grandpa who sadly passed this year. He gave us the bolens along with the blade deck( needs some work) , snow blower and plow attachments around 10-15 years ago. We would use it every so often to push some snow , move some things around and to aerate the lawn with holes. We really didn't use it much and it ended up sitting for a while. Every coupe of years  we would start it back up use it once or twice and let the same thing happen again. Its been a dream of mine to restore it ( not to the point of show but just to keep this master piece going for as long as i can and to use). We haven't started it in at least 3 years. So finally i made the move.  I pulled it out of the outgrowing woods with vines that stated to wrap around it and cut the beauty free. I drained out the gas and added fresh gas , a new spark plug and starter belt/generation belt? if thats what its called. i had the oem one that was broken so i went to napa and got another oem one for it. Next i hooked up a battery to try and jump her and she turned but wouldnt turn over. Years ago my father was telling me the carb was sucking some air so my thinking is that gasket is shot after sitting for so long and the fuel isn't getting up to the plug (the plug seems dry for the most part after i try to start it. My first move is i ordered a carb kit (LQ52) to see if that's it . Anyhow my plan is to get this bolens up and going like a everyday tractor. I will not let it go sit back into the woods anymore. i have a few questions that you guys might know the answers too. i apologize for my lack of knowledge but i'm willing to learn everything there is. 

1. Cleaning the Air cleaner/filter. How? i can take it off unscrew the top yes but is there a way to take the get to the mesh? that metal piece stops because of the lip and it seems like it doesn't come off it just spins.

2. The muffler ( WD64) how do i remove it ? it unscrews basically until the end but then stops like its hitting something but there is nothing to untighten or to unscrew. i was told its probably just rust thats stopping it from unscrewing all the way but it really seems like its hitting something inside to make it stop.

3. Changing the oil. we have never changed it since we owned it sadly. now that its in my hands i will be doing that before i try and start it as well. i got Sae 30 non detergent. the manual says 2 pts..is this correct ? im assuming yes but i just want to double check.

4. The clutch 3 years ago would grind when you shifted. it would go into gear but it would always grind first. is that an adjustment most likely? or warn gears? whats the best way to find out?

Thank you all for taking your time to read this and i hope to hear from you guys soon.  i want to tackle this thing head on but the right way. i will be active and take everything in.

- Jarrett

IMG_6512.JPG

IMG_6513.JPG

• Bolens 1000, Gtractor, LPBolens and 13 others have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,219 Thanks
  • 17,846 posts

Posted November 07, 2016 - 07:54 PM

Hello, Welcome to GTT :wave:

These pics look familiar I believe you were the one who contacted me through ebay today :D

-The correct number for the carb kit is LQ40 

-Use a good NON Synthetic oil, I use Kohler branded oil with zinc additive, these engines take 1 full quart of oil.

-Sometimes after sitting a while the clutch will stick and not seperate, I would suggest downloading the service repair manual

http://gardentractor...anual-552875-1/

• boyscout862 and stiemmy have said thanks

#3 Jarrett OFFLINE  

Jarrett
  • 27 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted November 07, 2016 - 08:11 PM

haha yes that was me. glad to see you on here as well. thank you for the welcome and for the Carb kit correction. That manual guide will be so helpful !

• Bolens 1000 and stiemmy have said thanks

#4 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,732 Thanks
  • 1,994 posts

Posted November 07, 2016 - 08:29 PM

Welcome aboard,lots of good guys here,looks like you have something to work with,should make a good project,keep the pics coming as you make progress
  • boyscout862, HANKG and stiemmy have said thanks

#5 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,822 Thanks
  • 2,413 posts

Posted November 07, 2016 - 09:25 PM

i apologize for my lack of knowledge but i'm willing to learn everything there is. 

No apology necessary !!

None of us know everything there is to know, but your willingness to learn is admirable.

Welcome to GTT.  

• blackjackjakexxix, boyscout862, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#6 Toolfoole OFFLINE  

Toolfoole

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8230
  • 268 Thanks
  • 145 posts

Posted November 07, 2016 - 10:25 PM

Welcome to the forum, Jarrett. Good luck with the restoration.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 437 Thanks
  • 442 posts

Posted November 07, 2016 - 10:44 PM

That's a great GT , have fun with your restoration. There is a ton of knowledge here. We all love pictures !

#8 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,247 Thanks
  • 756 posts

Posted November 07, 2016 - 10:50 PM

Welcome to the club, Jarrett! :)

#9 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,436 Thanks
  • 8,469 posts

Posted November 08, 2016 - 02:00 AM

Welcome to GTT. You have a great tractor there. Checkout our Manuals Section for more info. The sales brochures are alot of fun. When working on the tractor, use plenty of PB Blaster and patience. Things got stuck and will take time to come apart. I would suggest cleaning everything and then following the manual for the maintenance. Going through the maintenance is a good way to find problems before they become disasters. We are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick

Try this brochure: http://gardentractor...-line-brochure/

Edited by boyscout862, November 08, 2016 - 02:11 AM.

• stiemmy said thank you

#10 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,117 Thanks
  • 721 posts

Posted November 08, 2016 - 03:38 AM

Welcome to the forum! Great tractor to restore. Round hoods are my favorite tube frame! Make sure you check your points and condensor also. They may need a clean up from sitting outside.

• stiemmy and Jarrett have said thanks

#11 Jarrett OFFLINE  

Jarrett
  • 27 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted November 08, 2016 - 05:35 AM

Thanks guys and I actually still have the original brochure and owners manual.

Edited by Jarrett, November 08, 2016 - 05:40 AM.

• stiemmy said thank you

#12 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 915 Thanks
  • 622 posts

Posted November 08, 2016 - 12:12 PM

Run the muffler out to where it Start's to tighten, spray the threads with penetrating oil,run back in, repeat this until out, this will carry more penetrant to the problem, do not force out muffler as this can ruin you're thread's,rust or carbon will soften with time
  • Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi and stiemmy have said thanks

#13 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,822 Thanks
  • 2,413 posts

Posted November 08, 2016 - 01:00 PM

Jimmy G gives good advice regarding the muffler.

Be careful not to exert too much pressure when trying to remove the muffler.  ....It is possible to break the cast-iron exhaust manifold or the cast-iron block at the exhaust port.

You did not say why you want to remove the muffler.  .....If it is to be replaced by a new muffler, cut the old muffler off (carefully)  with a hacksaw.  .....Cut the old muffler off approx. 1/2" from the back (flat) surface.  .....The threads can now be cleaned to remove the remaining piece. 

• Bolens 1000 and stiemmy have said thanks

#14 Jarrett OFFLINE  

Jarrett
  • 27 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted November 08, 2016 - 04:11 PM

Just to replace it because it's pretty rusted ( a few holes on the side ) i will try your methods . Thanks . Any clue about the air cleaner ? How do I get that filter out it's pretty gunked up

Attached File  IMG_6524.MOV   11.67MB   47 downloads

IMG_6523.JPG \

that's as far as she comes out until it stops

Edited by Jarrett, November 08, 2016 - 04:39 PM.

• stiemmy said thank you

#15 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,734 Thanks
  • 5,467 posts

Posted November 08, 2016 - 05:50 PM

Welcome! One is just the start of it.... 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens 800 husky, restoration, newbie