Jump to content

Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Weekend adventure, Snakebite!

  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 coldone OFFLINE  



  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,664 Thanks
  • 1,683 posts
  • Location: Central NC

Posted May 30, 2011 - 11:19 AM

Well the weekend adventure took a turn but its not as bad as it seems. William, 4yo, was walking back from playing on the new trailer, about 50 ft from where we were sitting and watching. About half way back he made a little hop and when he landed he started yelling that it hurts. I jump and run to him thinking that he had landed on a nail or something. I get down there and see two puncture marks in his heel. He tells me that he was trying to jump over the snake but that it had bit him anyway. He points to the snake and its about 8 ft away and its a copperhead. We call 911 and get him transported to the hospital (UNC). Mom rides with him and I follow with my oter boy a few minutes later.

Long story short, if you are going to get bit by a posionus snake a copperhead is the best one. Its venom only cause severe swelling and where he was bitten, on the heel, is the best place to get bit. there is alot of room for the swelling. The doctors in the peds er said that this was the 5th bite they had seen in the last two months and that he was going to be fine. Pain was his only problem, all of his blood work came back as normal. They managed the pain with morphine. The sweeling slowed its progression about 3 hours after the bite and all vital signs were normal. The bite happened about 8pm and by 12:30am they were ready to lets us go home. We ellected to stay the night in case something went wrong or we could not manage the pain and since we are 30-45 minutes away we were too nervous to go home. We made it onto the ward at around 3am. They gave him a dose of tylenol and he went to sleep. We all slept until 8:30am, the docs came and discharged us. They gave us a perscription for oxy but advised that it was in case the pain got worse. they assured us that if he stayed off the foot for another 48 hours that Tylenol would take care of the pain. So far they have been right. He is sitting comfortably on the couch watching cartoons and bossing me and mama around. He is expected to make a full recovery in a few days and have no after effects from the venom.

William has been a great little trooper throughout this entire event. He never screamed or lost it. He evn remembered his manners with all the people. He would answer yes mam and no mam to them, he let them put in the IV without a fight, he never once pulled away from any of the Drs or nurses. He let them know that they couldnt touch his Boo Boo but when they had to he let them. I am so proud of the way he handled all of this. He has even managed to laugh about a few things.

I would like to thank our lord and savior for everything that he has done for us and for taking care of us and for the friends, family, and professionals that have helped and taken care of us. Without him and his love for us we would not be where we are today.

Here are some pics, cause I know this thread is useless without them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image



    Proud to be Deplorable

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,975 Thanks
  • 29,758 posts

Posted May 30, 2011 - 12:09 PM

Thank God He's OK!

Please let him know we are pulling for him.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  



  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,360 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts
  • Location: Upper Granville, Nova Scotia, Canada

Posted May 30, 2011 - 12:32 PM

Thank God He's OK!

Please let him know we are pulling for him.


#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  


    Squeaky Wheel

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,717 Thanks
  • 7,423 posts
  • Location: West Virginia

Posted May 30, 2011 - 12:40 PM

That really sucks, glad he is ok. Dad and I were trimming out some briers today and found us a snake, believed it to be a water copper after chopping it in half since it looks a lot like a copperhead. Needless to say we quit trimming out the brush for a while. Just make sure William knows that he will have to get back to self sufficiently after his foot heals up. :D

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  



  • Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,036 Thanks
  • 46,727 posts
  • Location: Collinsville, Oklahoma

Posted May 30, 2011 - 01:43 PM

Glad things are on the mend. Sounds like he is a very well mannered young man.

#6 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,483 Thanks
  • 1,591 posts
  • Location: Mainitoba Canada

Posted May 30, 2011 - 06:26 PM

Holly cow we don't have to worry about stuff like that here.I'am sure glad that he going to be fine.Talk about a scary event for you's It's gotta be awfully hard on your nerves.Glad your doing good as well.Hope things go smooth and the recovery is soon.Larry

#7 olcowhand OFFLINE  


    Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,301 Thanks
  • 31,772 posts
  • Location: South Central Kentucky

Posted May 30, 2011 - 06:45 PM

Geez that would be scary! So glad he's gonna be fine in a few days. He's a tough one! One of the many times one must look upward & give thanks!



    Lost in Cyber Space

  • Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,350 Thanks
  • 15,621 posts
  • Location: Pennsylvania

Posted May 30, 2011 - 07:30 PM

Scary for sure. Glad the little trooper is doing well. Tell him we hope he is all better very soon :D

#9 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

    DR. Bolens

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 15,273 Thanks
  • 18,230 posts
  • Location: Western NY

Posted May 30, 2011 - 07:33 PM

Glad to hear he's doing ok.
Hope he recovers quickly

#10 Bill56 OFFLINE  



  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 60
  • 842 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts
  • Location: N. E. Illinois

Posted May 30, 2011 - 07:46 PM

Very glad to hear that this dangerous incident turned out the way that it did! William sounds like a fine young man!!

#11 Alc OFFLINE  



  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 7,112 Thanks
  • 7,527 posts
  • Location: Bangor Pa

Posted May 30, 2011 - 07:52 PM

Pretty scary stuff !!! You said he was a trooper , bet Mom and Dad where very nervous !!! Hope he's feeling better .

#12 dstaggs OFFLINE  


    In Remembrance, RIP Dale

  • RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 554 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts
  • Location: Batesville, Arkansas

Posted May 30, 2011 - 07:54 PM

Thank God He's OK!

Please let him know we are pulling for him.

Thats my biggest fear is snakes, Only good one is a dead one.

#13 caseguy OFFLINE  


    Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts
  • Location: Edinburg, PA

Posted May 30, 2011 - 08:39 PM

I'm very thankful that William is OK! I have to agree that this was probably harder on you and the wife than it was on him...It's also commendable that he remained calm...because that means that you and the Missus didn't panic either! He does sound like a wonderful boy! Know that we're all pulling and praying for you guys!

#14 michelle OFFLINE  


    Tractorholic by Marriage

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1655
  • 331 Thanks
  • 303 posts
  • Location: Wisconsin

Posted May 30, 2011 - 09:40 PM

What a brave boy! Glad he is recovering well!