• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• Member No: 5581
  • 20 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted November 04, 2016 - 03:15 PM

I have a Gilson / Wards G33470A. I'm looking to build a bagger of some type for it. looking for ideas. I saw some of them on youtube and some images. I don't have a small trailer to pull behind it, nor the room to store one. I was thinking of building a box to mount behind the tractor. The mower is a three blade 33481A 42" side discharge. 

Would I need to add a blower/vac? The discharge for the leaves goes about 8 and that might be enough power to get the leaves in the box. I was thinking of buying some round vent tubing and making the box out of plywood. 

I might just shell out the cash for another tractor in the Spring that has a bagger. 

Kraig

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,192 Thanks
  • 5,790 posts

Posted November 04, 2016 - 03:19 PM

Will have to have some kind of blower

• GilsonRider said thank you

#3 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,743 Thanks
  • 930 posts

Posted November 04, 2016 - 05:14 PM

My neighbor gave me a John Deere lawn tractor with a blown engine.  Part of it was a bagger.  It was a multi section plastic tube that went from the discharge on the deck to what amounted to a garbage can mounted to the rear of the tractor.

It's still laying back in the fence row.  Come get it.

• GilsonRider and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• 20 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted November 04, 2016 - 05:26 PM

My neighbor gave me a John Deere lawn tractor with a blown engine.  Part of it was a bagger.  It was a multi section plastic tube that went from the discharge on the deck to what amounted to a garbage can mounted to the rear of the tractor.

It's still laying back in the fence row.  Come get it.

PM me where you are at if you don't mind.

#5 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,743 Thanks
  • 930 posts

Posted November 04, 2016 - 05:58 PM

PM me where you are at if you don't mind.

It's not a secret.  Right there below my avatar.

Livonia, MI

#6 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• 20 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted November 04, 2016 - 06:05 PM

It's not a secret.  Right there below my avatar.

Livonia, MI

I missed that on my cell phone! Shows up on when on the PC. To far to drive as I'm in MN. 

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,835 Thanks
  • 8,675 posts

Posted November 04, 2016 - 06:07 PM

When using a bagger off of a mower deck, use the correct blades for pushing the litter up the tube to the bag. Good Luck, Rick
  • GilsonRider said thank you

#8 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,743 Thanks
  • 930 posts

Posted November 04, 2016 - 06:51 PM

Personally, I just mulch mine.

#9 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 180 Thanks
  • 139 posts

Posted November 04, 2016 - 07:09 PM

I sold my bagger and went the lawn sweeper route.  I like it much more, no clogging.

#10 Bob E OFFLINE  

Bob E
  • Member No: 85024
  • 97 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted November 04, 2016 - 07:49 PM

I also mulch, but search youtube for "monster leaf bag"

Edited by Bob E, November 04, 2016 - 07:53 PM.

#11 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• 20 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted November 04, 2016 - 09:29 PM

When using a bagger off of a mower deck, use the correct blades for pushing the litter up the tube to the bag. Good Luck, Rick

Any idea on the part # for a Gilson/Wards 33481A 42"? I just have the standard blades. it discharges about 8' straight out. No discharge chute. 

#12 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• 20 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted November 04, 2016 - 09:34 PM

I sold my bagger and went the lawn sweeper route.  I like it much more, no clogging.

I use a lawn sweeper, but it gets old getting off the tractor all the time! Then I dump the leaves on a tarp and toss that in the trailer. I fill a 7.5'x8' trailer with 2' sides several times in the fall and 3-4 times in the spring. And I only have a 1/2 acre lot! 

• Alc said thank you

#13 GilsonRider OFFLINE  

GilsonRider

• 20 Thanks
  • 34 posts

Posted November 04, 2016 - 09:35 PM

I also mulch, but search youtube for "monster leaf bag"

I looked it up. I wonder how heavy that would be. 

#14 Bob E OFFLINE  

Bob E
  • Member No: 85024
  • 97 Thanks
  • 73 posts

Posted November 05, 2016 - 09:46 AM

The weight would depend on how many leaves you collect before you dump it. :D

I see guys making their own from tarps. I used to use a polyester pillow case as a collection bag for my old leaf blower/vac. It worked pretty good.

polyesterpillowcaseasleafblowervacuumbag_zpscbc1f68f.JPG

#15 mbrandt1402 OFFLINE  

mbrandt1402
  • Member No: 85672
  • 9 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted January 18, 2017 - 10:37 PM

I'm very late to the party. If this is border-line dead thread resurrection, let me know & I'll calibrate for the future.

I refused to pay Sears for their bagger when I bought my LT many years ago. I found plastic trash bins that, when paired together, were a good match for the width of a big storage tote. The length of the tote was about 4" too long, which was just about perfect for the discharge vent. The trash bins hang from a fork-shaped rack behind the LT. The storage bin is bungeed upside down over the tops of the bins, with the discharge vent area on the same side as the discharge from the mowing deck. I used all metal flexible heating duct from Lowe's/Home Depot to make a sweeping bend from the mower discharge to the storage bin. It enters the bin on the front side and quite an angle. Clippings and leaves fill the far side trash bin first, then the near side. The flex duct would last a season or so. The only trick piece was making a proper adapter for the mower deck discharge. I have some from-scratch fiberglass skills I acquired keeping my race car bodies repaired. Use whatever spray foam you like best, shape it and skin it with Bondo, sand it smooth, slather it with floor wax (harder to find these days) and lay-up a fiberglass part. Ignoring my fabrication time (I was unemployed at the time, so my time was of little value), I think I had about $60 invested.

No pics available - we retired and moved to the woods. I scrapped the bagger when we moved. No intention of mowing anything bigger than a little dab of lawn between the house and shop.