• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BigF30 OFFLINE  

BigF30
  • Member No: 85081
  • 56 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 11:01 PM

Hi. I picked up this tractor from my Aunt about 3 years ago now, her telling me that her father bought it new in 1956. Now, the story goes that her father used the little tractor for around 2 years mowing a rather small and wooded area about 4-5 acre while also pulling small wagon loads of buckets filled with water up from the stream on their property since the little tractor was the only thing they had back then. But...her father was a (big) man standing at about 6'3-6'4 and he could never really quite drive the tractor without hurting his back. He was always reluctant to use the tractor more then needed or so it was for those 2 year's.

Finally after having some back work done at that time her father caved and decided to finally buy another tractor to do the work that the Bantam had done. After buying the new tractor the man had simply moved the Bantam to the side of the small barn that sat towards the end of the property and covered it with a tarp. And there I was told it sat. Her father passed away in 1990 to medical problem's while the old house, barn, and tractor was given over to my Aunt.

I believe in around 1997 the tractor was moved inside the barn to be restored by my Aunts husband but was never to be touched.

_

Anyway, my Aunt ended up calling me a few years ago after her husband had just passed away wondering if I would be interested in a odd little tractor to work on since she knew I collected odd tractors and farm equipment. When I finally made it over to her house she took me to her shed (which had not been opened in years). The tractor was pitted all over its fenders and the floor pans, the engine solid. Everything was rusted and you were lucky if you could see a speck of orange paint, but it did have surprisingly good original tires on it and a rear that was free turning

That was a few years ago now and I have since got the tractor running with a little original snowplow mounted on it. I'll have some photos in the next day or so.

Attached Thumbnails

• 140827_422.jpg
  • 140827_421.jpg
  • frv.jpg

Edited by BigF30, November 01, 2016 - 08:16 PM.

• DougT, Gtractor, Alc and 12 others have said thanks

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,723 Thanks
  • 4,884 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 05:57 AM

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a good project. the family ties make it even better.

• boyscout862 and BigF30 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,012 Thanks
  • 8,790 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 08:25 AM

Welcome to GTT. Great story and tractor. Spend some time with your Aunt and learn about the life of her father(your grandfather?). When you use the tractor, remember him. Are there any pics of him with the tractor? Checkout our Manuals Section for free downloads of the manuals that you want. Good Luck, Rick

• tiretrx and BigF30 have said thanks

#4 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 2,086 Thanks
  • 1,172 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 08:34 AM

Welcome to GTT. What a great little tractor. And the family connection makes it all the better. Looking forward to more pics, thanks for sharing with us!

• boyscout862 and BigF30 have said thanks

#5 BigF30 OFFLINE  

BigF30
  • 56 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 01:08 PM

Welcome to GTT. Great story and tractor. Spend some time with your Aunt and learn about the life of her father(your grandfather?). When you use the tractor, remember him. Are there any pics of him with the tractor? Checkout our Manuals Section for free downloads of the manuals that you want. Good Luck, Rick

I guess technically she would be my half Aunt considering her mother and my grandmother had the same mother and not the same father. And thank you! Her father owned a large car junkyard back then and was a large gearhead himself so even if I'm not blood related to him I can still have that feeling of being so.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 BigF30 OFFLINE  

BigF30
  • 56 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 07:03 PM

Here are some photos I just took, my father didn't know I had a camera hidden on me when he wanted to ride it around. lol. Overall its still a work in progress but anything is better than it was!

Attached Thumbnails

• 0319112259-00.jpg
  • 0319112233-00.jpg

Edited by BigF30, November 01, 2016 - 08:23 PM.

• Gtractor, Alc, Bruce Dorsi and 6 others have said thanks

#7 BigF30 OFFLINE  

BigF30
  • 56 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 09:48 PM

Did any of the rear attachments lift up or down or just stay stationary? The manual doesn't really show. Also, what do the wheel weights look like and are they possible to find?

Thanks!

Edited by BigF30, November 01, 2016 - 10:22 PM.

#8 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,097 Thanks
  • 719 posts

Posted November 02, 2016 - 12:40 AM

Nice little tractor, very cool
  • BigF30 said thank you

#9 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,899 Thanks
  • 2,445 posts

Posted November 02, 2016 - 06:00 AM

Did any of the rear attachments lift up or down or just stay stationary? The manual doesn't really show. Also, what do the wheel weights look like and are they possible to find?

Thanks!

Looking at the Bantam brochure, it appears the rear attachments are the tow-type only, with no provision to lift them.

http://gardentractor...actor-brochure/

However, it does list (but does not show) a moldboard plow, so there must have been some type of lift built into the plow attachment. 

• Alc and BigF30 have said thanks

#10 BigF30 OFFLINE  

BigF30
  • 56 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted November 12, 2016 - 10:58 PM

Are the duel wheel front kits good for anything on the Bantam tractors? I always have problems with the front wheel sinking into our stone driveway or ground. Would it hurt the tractor in any way or should I keep it original?

Thanks!

Here is the site that has them...http://raregardentra...tion-parts.html

Edited by BigF30, November 12, 2016 - 10:59 PM.

#11 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,097 Thanks
  • 719 posts

Posted November 13, 2016 - 12:29 AM

It looks like you have room for a bigger tire, a wider and or taller multi rib ran a little on the soft side will help a lot, original always on a piece like that in my view
  • BigF30 said thank you