Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

hey Speedex guys how would you rate your tractors say like to a power king?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TravelinJavelin ONLINE  

TravelinJavelin
  • Member No: 84768
  • 125 Thanks
  • 218 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 05:57 PM

you know I never paid much attention to the speedex line but I like what I see...........SIMPLICITY which a lot of the world has forgot but anyways how would you guys compare to like a jim dandy or power king tractor? there growing on me LOL!

#2 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,794 Thanks
  • 4,776 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 06:50 PM

The only problem with PK's [metal hoods] is they don't have enough transmission. Otherwise they are the perfect small tractor.

Speedex took that same problem to a new high trying to cheapen up the drivetrain. 

Later models have more tranny/speeds.

Speedex was made with decent quality but on the cheap.

A for instance is:

On the PK,  if you need to adjust the toe-in its just like a car.  There are threads on the tie-rods.

On most models Speedex you have to bend a spindle because there is no adjustment.

Little things like that.

• Bolens 1000 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 TravelinJavelin ONLINE  

TravelinJavelin
  • 125 Thanks
  • 218 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 07:01 PM

wow i'm kinda of surprised?

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,462 Thanks
  • 7,820 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 07:11 PM

Both made from simple metal shapes, easy to fix or make parts. Rest is common hardware. Plenty done with shafts and bushings. Pk, one kind of drive line,...Speedex used or tried Many styles of drives, some worked, some not so well.

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,339 Thanks
  • 2,987 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 07:59 PM

Speedex trannys are pretty weak for the size of the tires.Would of been fine for a set of 12" tires but there geared to high for the large tires.

I've had a couple lol.My old S19 3 speed round hood had a stripped input gear set and and the old 840 chain drive 2 speed square hood had seriously worn bushings everywhere lol.It would pop out of gear and the chain would bind up.I broke the chain once before I was able to find another gear box for it.Tractor looked really really nice but mechanically it needed alot of work.

You could tell just by mowing with them that they were a bit weak in the transaxles.

I did plow snow with the S19 for a couple years and it did OK.It was Very fast compared to my old Cub Cadet 102.Scary fast in 3rd especially with the frame flexing like they do.

Don't know much about the larger and newer Speedex tractors but if there anything like the old ones I would prefer the PK.

#6 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 08:13 PM

There is a lot of difference in the various models of Speedex.  My late 1631 is way different from the earlier S models or even most 1x3y tractors.  Mine has adjustable tie rods. :thumbs:

I believe there is a lot of variation between the various models of Power King tractors as well.

As far as my Speedex 1631 goes I do like how simple it is.  Many of the parts can be got at the corner hardware store and most of the others can be easily fabricated.  The big drawback I see to my tractor is that instead of having a clutch you go/stop by tensioning a drive belt.  This means you cannot "slip" the clutch without glazing the belt and enough squealing to wake the dead.  You just have to drop the clutch and leap into action.

One potential problem with many of the models is the differential is not sealed (don't ask!).  You wouldn't want to operate one in deep water.  I suspect this might not be true of the models with transaxles.

The only Power King tractor I've ever lay hands on is mom's friend's tractor of a model I don't know, but I believe it's a fairly old one and quite simple.  It's got no place to put your feet, the right and left brakes are separate and operated by hand levers rather than pedals and the steering wheel sits off to the side.  At least it's got a real clutch though.  The drive train seems sturdier than the one on my Speedex.

The biggest issue I see with Speedex is unless you're in Northeast Ohio or Western Pennsylvania there aren't many to choose from.  Likewise it'd be tough to come up with a parts tractor outside that area.

Edited by MiCarl, November 01, 2016 - 06:43 AM.

#7 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 08:22 PM

Speedex trannys are pretty weak for the size of the tires.Would of been fine for a set of 12" tires but there geared to high for the large tires.

I've had a couple lol.My old S19 3 speed round hood had a stripped input gear set and and the old 840 chain drive 2 speed square hood had seriously worn bushings everywhere lol.It would pop out of gear and the chain would bind up.I broke the chain once before I was able to find another gear box for it.Tractor looked really really nice but mechanically it needed alot of work.

You could tell just by mowing with them that they were a bit weak in the transaxles.

I did plow snow with the S19 for a couple years and it did OK.It was Very fast compared to my old Cub Cadet 102.Scary fast in 3rd especially with the frame flexing like they do.

Don't know much about the larger and newer Speedex tractors but if there anything like the old ones I would prefer the PK.

The 1x3y models (1631, 1632, 1831, 1832 etc.) use the T-92 transmission.  I think it's probably stout enough.  I do worry a bit about the differential but traction seems to run out before I can damage it.

My 1631 is also WAY too fast.  I'm toying with putting a larger input sheave on the transmission so 1st will creep and 3rd doesn't require motoring goggles.

• EricFromPa said thank you

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,339 Thanks
  • 2,987 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 09:28 PM

My 1631 is also WAY too fast.  I'm toying with putting a larger input sheave on the transmission so 1st will creep and 3rd doesn't require motoring goggles.

LOL

If I were to guess how fast the S19 was I would say 25mph maybe a little faster.Inside of both front wheels had Lead poured in them to help keep the front end planted.

The engine pulley may have been an inch or 2 larger than stock but it did have the stock transaxle pulley.PO broke the original cast pulley when he took it off to rebuild the engine.And stuck one on that was "close enough" lol.

It was wicked fast lol.I had a couple of old Milk crates fastened to the draw bar for groceries before the small store just up the road closed.

#9 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,028 Thanks
  • 8,799 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 09:40 PM

There is one for sale in my area http://hartford.crai...5852523606.html
  • Alc said thank you

#10 TravelinJavelin ONLINE  

TravelinJavelin
  • 125 Thanks
  • 218 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 05:53 AM

well guys thank you for all the info for sure!

#11 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 966 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 07:03 AM

Since we're talking about Speedex models I'll try and share what I know about the larger number models.

My tractor is a 1631.  The numbers break out as follows (I think):

16 - 16hp.

3 - 3 speed transmission (+ reverse).

1 - Single pinion gear in the differential, 3 point cat 0 hitch (manual lift)

There was also a 1632 model.  This was similar to the 1631 but with a hydraulic lift on the hitch, floor boards and two pinion gears in the differential.  Steering brakes were optional but may have ended up on most of the later builds.

There were varying horsepower models.  I've seen some 1832s turn up.  Not sure if I've ever run across an 1831 though.

There was also a 1630 model.  This was the predecessor to the 1631, was shorter and had a manual lift draw bar hitch.  I've also seen it in 10hp (1030).

Then there were hydrostatic tractors on the same platforms as the 1631/1632.  These seem to have used a 9 instead of the 3.  These tractors were 1691, 1692 and I've seen an 1892 turn up.

To complicate things the Speedex factory doesn't seem to have been very consistent in what they built, especially near the end.  My 1631 has floorboards which I've never seen on any other 1631,  Each fender has an additional fender stamping welded in front - extending it to the floorboard.  My 1631 also has a hydraulic 3-point, although different than the 1632 lift.  These all seem to be factory changes.  My guess is the hitch and hydraulic cylinder were plucked from the parts bin for one of the hydrostatic tractors.

• Alc said thank you

#12 speedbird ONLINE  

speedbird
  • Member No: 8857
  • 279 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted November 02, 2016 - 06:37 PM

On my S19 in low gear it creeps along at a very low speed. In 4th it moves along at what I would call a fast walk or a slow run but not so fast that it feels unstable. What I don't like is reverse. IN reverse it feels as if you are going backwards at the same speed as 3rd gear . My 1632 speeds seem reasonable to me though I have to admit I've never opened it up full throttle in 4th.

• Alc said thank you

#13 Bill2 OFFLINE  

Bill2
  • Member No: 9859
  • 35 Thanks
  • 70 posts

Posted December 31, 2016 - 03:40 PM

I have a strong land that is a speedex  newer style mine has a pump in the back that turns rear gears instead of being hydro, pretty strong tractor for what they are. I also have a power king with standard tranny  for pulling heavy loads power king,, for moving back and forth movements like mowing  cart pulling strong land, both of mine have a 18hp on them strongland has a briggs twin and the power king has a 18hp kohler over head valve. both have a different purpose, both are great at what they do. I do have a problem going down hill on strong land.  rear growls when trying to hold back a little but that's ok mine has disc brakes on back so not a real big deal  powerking is a standard so it really holds back good... speeding up and slowing down all the time i'll use strong land. for real power that don't quit i use the powerking. hope this helps