• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jake OFFLINE  

Jake

• Member No: 1241
  • 238 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 04:26 PM

Yesterday I got a John Deere 430 today I run it around for 20 min or so and it quit start right back up then quit sometime it will run a min. Or two but not very well. Is there a pump between the tank and filter? And will a bad filter do this. It was running good this morning it was 30 and started right up.HELP thanks all Jake

#2 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,907 Thanks
  • 1,489 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 05:30 PM

There should be a screen (filter) in the fuel tank on the end of the fuel pick up.

that is what the parts brake down show on site

http://jdpc.deere.co...?Origin=JDParts

Deere show two different tanks

hope this helps

• Jake said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,845 Thanks
  • 8,687 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 09:30 PM

Download the engine manual from our Manuals Section. Go through the Troubleshooting guide. It will take you step by step through the process to find the problem. Before doing that I woud check the fuel, fuel filter and the pump. The easiest way to check is to disconnect the line at the carb and put the end into a clean glass jar. Crank the engine over for a couple of seconds and see the quality and quantity of fuel that came out. Becarefull that there are no flames or sparks around you. If there is plentiy of clean fuel, the problem is probably else where. Two sneaky problems that can occur: the fuel lines swell closeing off the line, and the fuel tank cap doesn't vent causing a vacuum in the tank so that fuel can't come out.

First thing to try is to losen the fuel tank cap and run the engine. If it stays running, your problem may be the cap vent is plugged. if that doen't solve it, look at the other tests. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, October 31, 2016 - 09:32 PM.

• Jake said thank you

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,833 Thanks
  • 30,707 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 09:45 PM

This is a diesel engine, so no carb of course.  There is an electric fuel pump between tank and filter.  You can pull the fuel line off at the injection pump, or loosen the bleed line, turn on the key, and see if there is fuel flow.  If not, either there is an obstruction, fuel pump or wiring faulty, or filter clogged.  This is glossing over, but first check for flow, then get back with us.

• Jake said thank you

#5 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,017 Thanks
  • 5,874 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 11:19 PM

Check the breather on fuel tank cap. Tank needs to be vented properly before you can get fuel out of it.

• Jake said thank you

#6 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 07:36 AM

I would check to see if the fuel system is completely sealed too. One little leak will cause air to enter the fuel system, and deisels don't like air.
  • Jake said thank you

#7 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 281 Thanks
  • 265 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 11:18 AM

A buddy of mine worked on a 435 that had fuel issues. He had to remove the tank twice and clean the algae out. The second time, he replaced the pickup screen.

• Jake said thank you

#8 Jake OFFLINE  

Jake

• Member No: 1241
  • 238 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted November 01, 2016 - 02:10 PM

Thanks all. Just put a new filter on sofar so good. I check the fuel flow going in and coming out of the filter an you could see a big difference when I get time I will fun it around and let you thanks
  • olcowhand and Cvans have said thanks