Garden Tractor Forums banner

Troubleshooting PTO on a 1232 RER

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  chieffan 
#1 ·
Hello everybody, just picked up a little old 1232 rear engine rider in really nice shape from Craigslist. The PO had bought it during the mowing season knowing it wasn't running and found various wires disconnected. He tinkered with it but couldn't get a spark though.

I was able to start it by disconnecting the engine harness and jumping the starter and carb solenoids with 12V, so I brought it home. Today, I connected the seat safety switch, replaced the missing 25A main fuse, turned the key, and it fired up and ran fine.

Unfortunately, the instant I pulled the PTO switch, the main 25A fuse popped. I metered the PTO switch and it's working properly, but the wiring diagram has me confused. I don't any any experience with electric PTOs, but don't they usually use a relay?

Anyway, can anyone tell me how to properly troubleshoot the PTO circuit? Can I run 12V to the PTO clutch to see what happens?

Also, if anybody has one of these or has experience with them...there's a 3A fuse connected between a yellow/red stripe and a pink/blue (or purple) stripe wire. What the heck is that for? It's not shown on the wiring diagram at all. The only thing I can think of is a light kit, but my mower doesn't have that.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wow! It'd take awhile to sort through that diagram and figure out how all the switches and safeties interlock each other.

One thing that is obvious though - if the diode around the PTO clutch is bad it's going to blow fuses.

Also, in the diagram there is a diode between the Yellow/Red and Red/Violet wire. Has someone stuck a 3A fuse in place of the diode? That would cause trouble as well.

Reactions: boyscout862
#5 ·
Thanks all! I'm guessing the diode is the likely culprit. If not, hopefully it's just a short somewhere after the switch...if the clutch is bad it's not worth repairing.

I'll check out everything after the switch and take it from there.

You know what, Carl, that wire sure looks pink to me, but I have to admit, it could be red with a violet stripe. I don't know why in the world anyone would put a fuse in place of a diode, but this is all starting to make sense in a twisted way.

Suppose some bonehead bought a new battery and put it in backwards. Wouldn't that fry both of the diodes?

Let's also suppose that said bonehead doesn't know a diode from a dangling participle and figures, "Eh, looks like a fusible link to me" and pops in a fuse instead, just to get the mower to start. So the mower starts, but the PTO blows the main fuse because the other fried diode is still in the circuit.

The plot thickens...

#6 ·
Some engineer was having a bad day when he designed that wiring system. 2 parking brake safety switches? Change wire color code at a diode? WOW. I agree with Carl, figuring this one out would take a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.