#1 NYMalloys OFFLINE  

NYMalloys

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 126
  • 28 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 12:03 PM

Hello, it's been a number of years since I have been on the site, if my questions would be better posed in another forum, let me know. I have a number of Massey tractors which I used to use regularly, but in recent years rarely and now need to downsize. I wondered if anyone would have tips regarding disposing of them including ebay, traditional auctions, craigslist, GTtalk, etc.?  Also is it typically easier to sell as a lot, or as individual pieces/parts? I would rather not have to ship items, but would if that is the best way to go. Here is what's available:

1) MF-10 with lights and hydraulic lift, though hydraulics are only a partial restoration. The pump and hydraulic cylinder are original, but I had to fabricate mounts and control levers. It worked to lift the tiller unit.

2) MF-12H with lights and sleeve hitch

3) AMF-1010

4) MF-8H.

5)  3 MF-610 decks, 2 with all the shields

6) Early version MF-620

7) MF-630

8) 2 MF-650 (1 with extension), though there is only 1 PTO gearbox and shaft.

9) 1 set of Rear wheel weights and chains which fit either the 10 or12.

10) Early version MF-720.

11) Haban Flail-Mo mower for either 10 or 12 (currently mounted on the MF-12). Mower mounts on front in the style of the early MF-620.

12) Lots of assorted parts and manuals, spare Tecumseh HH-100 motor.

All ran, though only the 10 and 12 have been used within the past 2 years. None of the tractors or implements are show ready (paint and plastic trim issues). I used them all for years. I kept different implements mounted on different tractors for convenience. The 10 is good for tilling with its creeper gear, the 12 has the flail mower (a video of it mowing might still be on this site). I used the 8 and 1010 for mowing around the house, the 1010 also plowed snow in winter. Tire and battery integrity will be an issue on some of these.  Thanks for any tip, Terrence

• limebuzz said thank you

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,525 Thanks
  • 9,821 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 12:06 PM

Get them so they run and move under their own power at least.

I personally would sell the Haban by itself.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,964 Thanks
  • 4,087 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 12:14 PM

WOW quit a collection there.

Yes get them to move under they own power and try Criags List.

I would try to sell each tractor on its own with all attachments for that tractor.

May want to try a Haban separately.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 5,136 Thanks
  • 5,521 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 01:03 PM

I have sold off almost all of my Massey tractors and attachment's too, I only have the MF10 that I converted to electric drive left.

IMO I would list the complete working tractors and the complete working attachments individually.

Accessory's like Factory wheel weights, sleeve hitch, and tire chains, I would also list separate.  

The buyer can take 1 or more of what he wants. You will get the most $$$ for them.

Tractor with the Hyd lift, and the Flail mower attachment are the most desirable and should good for a good $$$

Winter is coming so the Snow thrower, Dozer blade need to be listed.

The rest ??? whatever works, list what you have and be prepared to make deals.

Kijiji, Facebook work the best, fastest.

Edited by DH1, October 30, 2016 - 01:05 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#5 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,267 Thanks
  • 4,643 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 01:39 PM

I'm sure most folks are like me....They will pay a little for a running tractor and if it is a hydro, you can check it out too!

I cant believe the people that want top dollar for a machine that "ran when parked".....10 years ago!

• Bob E said thank you

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 8,920 Thanks
  • 4,825 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 02:19 PM

Sounds like a wonderful collection.

The problem with selling the whole collection as one lot is that'd be a significant chunk of change.  With the economy still in the tank, most interested parties don't have a gob and a bunch of expendable funds for such a major purchase.

Best of luck to you

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,130 Thanks
  • 6,234 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 05:05 PM

I agree with the above - get them all moving under their own power.  Match the imps with the tractor.  The list them on Cl.  Most exposure and least expense.  Only list one or two at a time, don't flood the market with all of them, at once or to close together.

• Cvans said thank you

#8 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,353 Thanks
  • 786 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 09:38 PM

You need to decide what you want most--more money or fewer people to deal with. If you sell them individually listing one machine at a time--my recommendation--you should get more total money and will have a much larger pool of potential buyers. More people have three hundred dollars than have a few thousand. If you sell it as one package, your pool of buyers drops dramatically--due to the larger amount of cash requires--and you still will get the questions about splitting it up. Odds are if you sell it in the aggregate you will see them split up on Craigslist later.

If you have time, get them all running and they will sell quicker and for more money. I wouldn't buy batteries for all of them, as you won't get your money back , but one battery to swap between them to show them running will suffice.

If you are dealing with a true tractor guy, they will ask do have any attachments, other equipment, etc.. That's your opportunity to say what you have and start bundling items together.

As the buyer, it's better to buy packages and as the seller it's better to sell individually. Keep this in mind.

Good luck and have fun.

#9 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,463 Thanks
  • 1,178 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 01:28 AM

To many variables. To get the most money you would make them all run and function and haul them around to shows to sell. This would likely net you the least profit. Especially if you put a value on your time. For a social person this may be the most satisfying. Dump them all in one load on criags list, least time and hassle and money.  I had a friend that had tools and equipment to dispose of. He called a local auction company, they came out and hauled all of it off. it sold at a good price at auction. I believe he netted 65%. You risk that things will go at very low prices.     Don    

#10 mac102004 ONLINE  

mac102004

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1420
  • 304 Thanks
  • 377 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 08:29 PM

Nice collection, good luck with the sale. I've had zero luck selling things personally, and usually over pay when I buy lol. However I do accept donations haha

• limebuzz said thank you