Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

any idea's on how to keep your battery charged not using the original charging system

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 552 Thanks
  • 488 posts

Posted November 03, 2016 - 11:15 AM

Build a solar panel canopy for the tractor.  Keep the sun off of you and charge your battery at the same time! It wouldn't save you any money, but would be cool!  :D

#17 TravelinJavelin OFFLINE  

TravelinJavelin
  • Member No: 84768
  • 98 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted November 05, 2016 - 11:04 AM

well i tell you if i didn't have bad luck i wouldn't have any at all LOL...........i discovered ( a little off topic about the rectifier) but my brand new battery has a strange set up to it i discovered now of course its hooked up red to positive terminal and blk to neg and when i try to charge it you have to do exactly opisite no kidding and its taking a chrge just found out with a brand new charger and old style amp meter.....becuase i thought my battery tender was junk and even on that it would show charging but i thought was defective so just argued with schumacher about it and sending a new one LOL i feel like a but about it now never have i ever encountered anything like this

#18 TravelinJavelin OFFLINE  

TravelinJavelin
  • 98 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted November 05, 2016 - 11:11 AM

hey Tahoe thats great but how would i go about putting on one like that since the original one i have on mine is hardwired where would i cutthe wires or unplug terminal and cut from the end?

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 38,054 Thanks
  • 30,457 posts

Posted November 05, 2016 - 02:22 PM

A battery, if completely dead or near dead WILL charge reverse polarity if cables are reversed!  I've seen it happen, as my Dad did just that with his mower about 3 years ago.  The starter wouldn't engage, and thinking battery was too low, I tried jumping, but was greeted with huge sparks.  He told me he charged it, and then jumped it.   Then I felt the battery and it was red hot I figured out he reversed the polarity with his jumpers off his truck.  I swapped out the cables and she started right up!  Battery soon gave out though, after what it went through.

• Alc said thank you

#20 TravelinJavelin OFFLINE  

TravelinJavelin
  • 98 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted November 06, 2016 - 08:05 AM

well this never got completly dead????? thats what is making me scratch my head going WTH? also its hooked up normally without issue and when its starts..........never see anything like it..........oh well runner til she blows iguess LOL!

#21 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,454 Thanks
  • 5,258 posts

Posted November 06, 2016 - 11:59 PM

well this never got completly dead????? thats what is making me scratch my head going WTH? also its hooked up normally without issue and when its starts..........never see anything like it..........oh well runner til she blows iguess LOL!

14581463_1029142097185009_7064471207681871064_n.jpg

• KennyP, WHdbJD and Bob E have said thanks

#22 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,606 Thanks
  • 5,519 posts

Posted November 07, 2016 - 01:05 PM

hey Tahoe thats great but how would i go about putting on one like that since the original one i have on mine is hardwired where would i cutthe wires or unplug terminal and cut from the end?

Yes, I cut the plug terminal off and just crimped on the plastic coated male spade terminals on each wire the connected to the new voltage regulator. If you don't want to cut terminal, use a female spade on the factory terminal end and then make a short wire, add a male spade end and connect it. There will be two wires coming from flywheel that go on the outside AC terminals, the center wire B+ will go up to the battery or usually through the ignition switch or ammeter.

I also added an extra ground wire to the regulator mounting bolt directly to the battery as mine was not grounding properly to body.

#23 TravelinJavelin OFFLINE  

TravelinJavelin
  • 98 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted November 08, 2016 - 08:10 PM

yeah very funny there wnytactor tinkerer!