Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

any idea's on how to keep your battery charged not using the original charging system

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 TravelinJavelin OFFLINE  

TravelinJavelin
  • Member No: 84768
  • 109 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 09:29 PM

on my  h 14 xl my rectifier/regulator is bad and to get another is crazy money anything from $150 to $200 wish there was a way to finagle a separate alternator or something like it?  any idea's?

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,147 Thanks
  • 9,624 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 09:36 PM

A battery tender.
  • HDWildBill, jd.rasentrac, WNYTractorTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 9,731 Thanks
  • 5,423 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 10:35 PM

A battery tender.

:ditto:

• TravelinJavelin said thank you

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,224 Thanks
  • 2,907 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 11:16 PM

A $60-$70 single wire Chevy mini alternator will work awesome if you have a pulley to run the belt.

http://www.ebay.com/...jNWADSm&vxp=mtr

Member http://gardentractor...-nascar3244888/ put one on his Lombardini diesel repowered Bolens 1050 and it does a great job.

http://gardentractor...-wire-it/page-2

• KennyP, John Arsenault and TravelinJavelin have said thanks

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,007 Thanks
  • 5,869 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 11:26 PM

I put one of those little $70 alternators on my GT and it quit in less than 50 hours. Still looks like new. I have to say it did work good for a little while. 

Edited by Cvans, October 29, 2016 - 11:26 PM.

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 8,799 Thanks
  • 6,034 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 07:35 AM

Check on eBay.  I have a $10 one on an Onan that is working fine.  Told a member about it and he got one to get his Onan working also.  Anyone interested PM me and will get the co name, etc.

• KennyP and TravelinJavelin have said thanks

#7 TravelinJavelin OFFLINE  

TravelinJavelin
  • 109 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 08:24 AM

well here's the story put a brand new battery in there and my buddy sold me schumacher battery maintainer only used once 1.5 amp well according to the directions hooked it up with the blk/whte wire to the positive and blk to negative and there's three little LED lights that when on starts out red showing power then a amber one shows when its charging then green when its fully charged.......well i get none of that unless i change the wiring around just the opisite what the directions told me to do.........then it shows its charging ......then i'm scratching my head saying WTH? then i come out 2 hrs later there's the amber light blinking..indicating there was a trouble of some sort so gone through all the connections retightened things a 100 times over and same results haven't had time to contact the manufacturer and say whats up with this .....so i'm a little frustrated with this

#8 TravelinJavelin OFFLINE  

TravelinJavelin
  • 109 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 08:26 AM

I put one of those little $70 alternators on my GT and it quit in less than 50 hours. Still looks like new. I have to say it did work good for a little while. 

well 2 of those alternators is still cheaper than rectifier/regulator for my Tecumseh OH 160 from what I could find of course I got the hard wired version seem harder to get too

Edited by TravelinJavelin, October 30, 2016 - 08:27 AM.

#9 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,361 Thanks
  • 7,747 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 10:42 AM

Well once started, battery not needed for much, maybe lights if at night, so no big draw on battery. That is mostly for starting. Would think just a battery charger on the battery occasionally would give it enough to start and should run long time on same charge.  Lots of old-time motorcyclists used to do that with racers, run till they missed, then change to newer charged battery and go back out for more racing.  I suppose one of those better maintainer's would keep it charged up and be plugged in all the time, but it won't charge battery that is low they say, just keep it up to full charge once there. The cheap ones aren't for long term storage that way either, need better one with de-sulphator and other cylcles to leave on all the time. They also shut-down when not needed. You use the pto on tractor?  Suppose one could run a gen off the front side and mount it to bolster on front, OR, run a shaft out to a bracket with pulley and gen set-up there? OR, wonder if one could use ONE belt on pto, then use the other sheave there to run the belt for  a gen underneath?  OR...just save up and get the right stuff to fix it, take the LUMP in head and pocketbook, be happy!  :poke:

#10 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,964 Thanks
  • 4,087 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 11:36 AM

If you you halfway handy with electricity try this. A whole lot easier to replace your rectifier.

Schematic.

post-564-0-89124900-1477844708_thumb.jpg

Pic.

post-564-0-58410500-1477844764.jpg

The 1 wire alternator will also work fine and put out alot of power. The one I have on my 4 wheel drive is 35 amp.

#11 Xrperry OFFLINE  

Xrperry
  • Member No: 73285
  • 927 Thanks
  • 707 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 12:12 PM

i have a rectifier for a st/12 will it work?

#12 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,964 Thanks
  • 4,087 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 12:17 PM

i have a rectifier for a st/12 will it work?

It should,There are either 3 or 4 wire.

2 wires are the AC side 

1 wire is 12 Volt out to Bat.

1 wire is ground or a 3 wire would be case ground

• KennyP and TravelinJavelin have said thanks

#13 TravelinJavelin OFFLINE  

TravelinJavelin
  • 109 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 03:17 PM

now let me ask if i found a way to put on a seperate alternator 1 wire system now how does one wire it into the rectifier/regulator system side or how would one go about it?

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,361 Thanks
  • 7,747 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 03:41 PM

One wire alts just need the lead going back to the Pos battery cable or connector.  ON a big tractor it will not charge till revs come up to I think 1200 rpm or so, then it kicks in and stays on. OR, can hook up an exciter circuit to small wire terms on alt that need a 12 volt start source to make it start charging at any rpm. This tho requires a diode or such in that line, so alt does not discharge the batt when tractor is off.  Not sure what one does on smaller rigs.

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 7,740 Thanks
  • 5,580 posts

Posted November 02, 2016 - 08:52 AM

Just throw another newer style regulator on it. As long as it's an AC/B+/AC regulator and up to the amperage ( should be a 20 amp), it doesn't matter what it looks like. I run one on my Sears with an OH160 and an electric winch.

I use this type from evilbay.

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_1192wt_1010

Regulator Sears.jpg