• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,213 Thanks
  • 3,959 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 06:40 PM

if ya don't have a place in a garage or what ever to put them in. Lookin for ideas and if you have pictures of your storage that would be great to see.
I seem to maybe not have enough room, because I would like to some room to work on stuff. The rambler is coming in for winter storage. It was nice to have it out all summer. So if I could store one or two outside, that would be good. These would not be ones that I don't use all winter, these are ones that I may or may not use on a daily basis. They will be used for snow removal.

Thanks for ideas and pictures.
Noel.

Keep in mind, that I live in a area that can have lots of snow and always windy.

Edited by propane1, October 29, 2016 - 06:52 PM.

#2 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,905 Thanks
  • 4,559 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 07:04 PM

If you have to store it outside, get the tires 6"-8" off the ground on pressure treated lumber with rubber mats that don't hold moisture between tire and wood. Cover as loosely as practical with a water resistant but breathable tarp. I stored. Couple of classic cars this way before I had buildings for them all. Never any mold or rust. I also unwrapped them 2-3 times a month on pretty days.
  • Bolens 1000 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,133 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 07:15 PM

Mine will all be inside including the snow removal units.  The ones I don't intend to use will have the wheels block off the ground, fuel tanks full and Sta-bil added to the fuel and run through the carbs.  Batteries with the most CCA will go in the two snow removal units.  Dryer sheet around the engines and ignition switch area.  Change that ever month or so.  I am fortunate to have a building large enough for all the tractors and equipment.

• Bolens 1000, propane1 and toppop52 have said thanks

#4 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,132 Thanks
  • 739 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 07:28 PM

a lean to off a building is best quick fix, will save time in the not so long run too, not to mention trying to get a frozen tractor going in the open when it's 10 degrees, 25mph wind and white out snow, a tarp works just fine you just have to anchor it good and watch out for hot Muffler's
  • propane1 said thank you

#5 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 636 Thanks
  • 388 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 10:52 PM

Time for the wife's car to move outside for the winter. :smilewink:  Seriously, "if" they have to be outside, others have given you good advice, but I would just add to be careful with tarps. I had to store one outside one year and the wind blowing the tarp wore the paint off the hood by spring... Seems I didn't know how to properly secure the tarp. :thumbs:

• Bolens 1000 and propane1 have said thanks

#6 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,905 Thanks
  • 4,559 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 09:06 AM

I use to use 4" foam rubber cut in pieces to keep the tarp off the paint back when I stored outside.

• Alc and propane1 have said thanks

#7 KCJAX6810 OFFLINE  

KCJAX6810
  • Member No: 84676
  • 157 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 09:33 AM

I use it does that count? Lol. My dad up north has a husky with a Kawasaki v twin 21 horse he uses with a 48" blower ...I get 1" max snow here mostly it's just moving stuff using my rake ect . I don't like not using it lol But for storage year round I've got a Lowe's (have two found at a steal) 14x12 tin shed I long since ditched the cheap frame dug 4 4x4 posts in the ground added hinges to the doors and a 2x4 frame silicone sealed the roof panels and it's stood up to moving on a trailer and storms. Wood was semi cheap and shed is normally like 800 minus the price of 150 I paid because someone didn't want to pull the foam apart to find the instructions.

Sent from my 0PCV1 using Tapatalk

Edited by KCJAX6810, October 30, 2016 - 09:37 AM.

#8 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8592
  • 3,523 Thanks
  • 956 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 10:01 AM

If your looking for a more durable alternative :
http://www.shelterlo...-rated-standard
These are their heavier duty units I have two 12' x 24' , they replaced a TSC cheaper model that surprised me and lasted for 4yrs. I've since replaced it with one of the 12'x24' HD. the first one is going on its forth year, I'm in the snow belt region of Lake Erie and I've awoke to 6 + inches on them and no ill effects , I use a combination of a rubber squeege ( like for pushing water off floors ) and a small propane space heater , usually the heater will heat the inside up and the snow will slide right off.
Wind we get plenty , I lag them down to a PT 4" x 6" which I secure to the ground by drilling and then driving 3' pieces of rebar thru to hold them to the ground, I put PT floors in them I used 3/4" PT plywood in one and 2" x 6" PT tongue and groove in the other. They are plenty roomy and the floor stout enough to support the weight of several units, I put 1-1/2" styrofoam on the bottom sides to help keep debris out , for me it was roughly a quarter cost of the same size in a quality built pre fabbed shed with a little help I can get it done in a weekend, they are a good place to keep things high and dry as they await refurbishment.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Alc, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#9 KCJAX6810 OFFLINE  

KCJAX6810
  • Member No: 84676
  • 157 Thanks
  • 106 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 07:27 PM

My sheet metal one kind of fell apart when the guy supposedly watching my trailer behind my truck was riding my rear not helping at all and when I wasn't warned of what I asked him to warn me of so I could stop and fix the straps ......it fell he ran the front over......so 4x4 posts and 2x4 framing with some panel fixes it is lol.......srry long winded but a tad ticked

Sent from my 0PCV1 using Tapatalk

#10 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,606 Thanks
  • 7,332 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 05:37 AM

This is how my son stores his tractor ( all his stuff too )   the last time you use it stop anywhere , lawn driveway doesn't matter to him , turn the key off and leave it to next year :wallbanging:  :wallbanging: :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:  :wallbanging:    No cover , unless it snows ,,,then it's snow covered .  In spring he puts gas in  right on top of what's left in the tank , charge the battery and it fires off !!!     

Me on the other hand , everything would be rusted up , every electrical connection corroded , the whole fuel system would need to be gone over , and on and on ,,,,

• shorty and propane1 have said thanks

#11 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,980 Thanks
  • 5,035 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 05:42 AM

The only time a tractor sleeps outside at our house is if junior is going to use the next day while I am at work. Which isn't often cause with our vintage equipment I like to be with him while he is operating.
  • Alc, propane1 and Gillis.jim have said thanks

#12 Graham Burns OFFLINE  

Graham Burns
  • Member No: 85097
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 06:14 AM

I've never had to store my rig outside in the winter, but I've helped other that have. Leave the machine on the side of a building if possible, and cocoon the machine in heavy insulating material, like heavy duty blankets. Then cover in a tarp or two. Ensure tarps are secured well.

#13 speedbird OFFLINE  

speedbird
  • Member No: 8857
  • 279 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 04:35 PM

One man I know bought himself a low priced used large enclosed trailer to store tractors in. He said an advantage of the trailer is the zoning people don't bother him.  

• propane1 and Bob E have said thanks

#14 Greasy6020 OFFLINE  

Greasy6020
  • Member No: 78477
  • 1,308 Thanks
  • 1,269 posts

Posted November 11, 2016 - 11:20 AM

i have an old sea can shipping container, that i store everything in, except attachments. 

seems to work good so far...

#15 Cjet69 ONLINE  

Cjet69
  • Member No: 68442
  • 426 Thanks
  • 262 posts

Posted November 12, 2016 - 05:03 PM

I use several different storage options. As hay is fed out of the barn I can fit around 15 in for the winter. Next would be the lean-to on our 40' shipping container and a few in part of a Costco portable carport.

100_5853 (Medium) Stitch.jpg

100_5861 (Medium).JPG

100_5860 (Medium).JPG

• Cat385B and propane1 have said thanks