• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 speedbird OFFLINE  

speedbird
  • Member No: 8857
  • 279 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted October 27, 2016 - 10:31 AM

I have 1978 B&S 16hp with an IC ignition. It has had intermittent spark problems since I got the tractor  about 3 years ago. Last week the spark quit completely. I checked the the plug, and disconnected the kill wire.That left the coil assembly and still no spark. I got a new coil assembly and put it in. This gave a weak spark but enough to run the engine, for about 1/2 hour.   Then it quit, with no spark again. Checked all the same things again plus made sure the space between the coil and the flywheel was .010 . Anyone out there have any idea about what I'm missing? Thanks for any idea's.

• chieffan said thank you

#2 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,964 Thanks
  • 4,087 posts

Posted October 27, 2016 - 10:55 AM

Weak magnets???????????

#3 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,366 Thanks
  • 1,503 posts

Posted October 27, 2016 - 11:19 AM

if any voltage gets to the kill wire it will destroy the coil

#4 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,758 Thanks
  • 4,301 posts

Posted October 27, 2016 - 11:53 AM

.010 may be a bit much, I use a folded sheet of paper (one fold) and place it between the coil and flywheel magnet. Snug the coil down, remove the paper. Spin flywheel by hand one full turn to make sure it doesn't touch the coil. 

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,134 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted October 27, 2016 - 12:09 PM

.010 may be a bit much, I use a folded sheet of paper (one fold) and place it between the coil and flywheel magnet. Snug the coil down, remove the paper. Spin flywheel by hand one full turn to make sure it doesn't touch the coil. 

I agree, especially if the magnets are a little on the week side.   If the new coil gave a week spark, it has to be the air gap or magnets. 

#6 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 5,136 Thanks
  • 5,521 posts

Posted October 27, 2016 - 03:08 PM

When you mounted the coil does it have a good ground?

#7 speedbird OFFLINE  

speedbird
  • Member No: 8857
  • 279 Thanks
  • 146 posts

Posted October 28, 2016 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for the tips fellows. I checked the coil for a good ground. It was good. I was checking the kill wire for voltage on it and I noticed the the spade lug that attaches it to the coil was loose enough to let it touch the block behind the coil. I tightened it and wrapped it with tape, Used the folded paper to set the clearance  instead of at .010 that the book said. It now has the best spark it has had since I got it. I'll keep my fingers crossed. This tractor has become my favorite one for using around the yard- if it will keep running. Thanks again for the help.

• Bruce Dorsi said thank you

#8 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,195 Thanks
  • 5,795 posts

Posted November 02, 2016 - 03:26 PM

Did that fix it?

Thanks for the tips fellows. I checked the coil for a good ground. It was good. I was checking the kill wire for voltage on it and I noticed the the spade lug that attaches it to the coil was loose enough to let it touch the block behind the coil. I tightened it and wrapped it with tape, Used the folded paper to set the clearance  instead of at .010 that the book said. It now has the best spark it has had since I got it. I'll keep my fingers crossed. This tractor has become my favorite one for using around the yard- if it will keep running. Thanks again for the help.