• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bigbuford520 OFFLINE  

bigbuford520
  • Member No: 36167
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 08:45 AM

I believe I have a 1937 Gibson while plowing my garden the rear-end started making a weird noise when I checked it out it appears the bearing is gone on one side . The shaft coming out has a bunch of play in it now just wondering if anyone knows what I need to fix it. the Gibson in my profile is the one in question

#2 Billy M ONLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 566 Thanks
  • 495 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 09:33 AM

Try your local Gibson dealer.  :D

I would recommend tearing into the rear end before you go buying any parts.  Make sure nothing is broken that may be hard to find.  I'm guessing parts for those aren't too plentiful, it being that old.??  I'm not familiar with those at all.  I'm just guessing.  I'm sure someone here more familiar with those will chime in at some point.  If it's just a bearing, you can take the old bearing to any bearing shop and they should be able to match it up with a new one (as long as the inner & outer races are still in tact).  Good luck with your fix.

Billy

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,608 Thanks
  • 8,574 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 09:53 AM

Welcome to GTT. When a rear end starts to have trouble, you really should just tear it apart, clean everything and go from there. I'm not real familiar with your tractor and my eyes can't see anything as small as your pic. I know that many of the 30s, 40s, and 50s tractors used transmissions from cars of the era. Clean the case and you may find some numbers to help. Ford rear ends were real popular for small companies and homemade tractors. My FIL narrowed a Ford rear and hooked it up to a Crosley transmission when he built a tractor in 1962. He also used a bunch of B-17 parts. Chances are you will beable to find the right parts once you have identified the rear. Use a Chiltons or Motors Manual to help with identification and proper seting of the gears. Good Luck, Rick
  • Billy M said thank you

#4 hddlh OFFLINE  

hddlh

• Member No: 8018
  • 43 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 12:23 PM

I would join Gibson Forum at yahoo groups, you'll find most all the information your looking for.  The diff on Gibson was their own manufacture and from your picture I would guess your tractor is a post WWII model A.

#5 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 4,781 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 04:02 PM

The tractor looks like an A to me too. The first question is what rear end do you have. The early A's used a Plymouth rear end. The later ones used a rear end made by Gibson.

• drbish and classic have said thanks

#6 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,750 Thanks
  • 2,088 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 04:08 PM

Doug, do you know if Gibson used the carrier and ring and pinion from Chrysler/Dodge in their housings, or did Gibson manufacture the entire rear end assembly?

#7 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 4,781 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 10:39 PM

I can't say 100% but I don't think the ring and pinion in the Gibson rear end is Chrysler. I've never heard of anyone matching the Gibson gears with anything else and I've never had too.

• classic said thank you

#8 bigbuford520 OFFLINE  

bigbuford520
  • Member No: 36167
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted October 31, 2016 - 01:39 PM

sounds like I have a good winter project . I will let you know what I find when I tear it apart thanks for all the info

#9 Tractors man OFFLINE  

Tractors man
  • Member No: 66955
  • 44 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted February 04, 2017 - 01:00 PM

sounds like I have a good winter project . I will let you know what I find when I tear it apart thanks for all the info

#10 classic OFFLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,750 Thanks
  • 2,088 posts

Posted February 04, 2017 - 01:50 PM

I did some research on this and the Gibson ring and pinion were proprietary for Gibson on the rears that they manufactured. You are correct about this, Doug.