29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted July 15, 2017 - 04:07 PM

Thank you for all the kind words. 

I started to take the transmission apart today in hopes of replacing the three gear cluster with the one that I repaired using a new gear  http://gardentractor...-3-gear-cluster .  Since I am hoping the only work I will have to do is remove the cluster I decided to work on the transmission in the tractor but did slide it back on the frame tube so I can remove the input shaft, brake drum and shift rails without obstruction.  Removed the seat and fender pan and then undid the two side screws that hold the dash support to the front of the transmission cover.  I removed the battery and battery tray as I want to apply more tension to the drive belts - as you can see in Picture 3 they are a little loose.  Removed the cotter key out of the parking brake lever and then removed the lever from the brake linkage arm - I locked the parking brake in the on position to hold it up out of the way when I slid the cover back and upwards.  Undid the taillight wire off the light switch, undid the eight bolts that hold the cover on to the transmission, removed the tool box and then the cover off of the transmission.  Positioned an axle stand on each side under the side covers of the frame tubes and set a short piece of 2 x4 on top of each one so that I could use the 2 x 4's as levers to lift up the frame tubes.  Blocked the front wheels and removed the two rear tube clamps off of the transmission and loosened the bolts on the front two clamps.  With the freewheeling pin disengaged I was able to slowly walk the transmission back on the tubes by prying each side of the tube up a little at a time until the front clamps were at the rear of the tubes.  Then I snugged the bolts on them back up - scraped a bit of paint off but that can be touched up later.  Then I set a piece of cardboard over the transmission opening and went and cut grass for a few hours.  Later I machined three inserts out of round stock that I am planning on sliding into the holes as I remove the shift rails - they are .497" on the O.D. where they will slide in and one has a groove machine in it to let the shifter ball sit in so I can move the other shift rail for the gears as the interlock pin will not let both rods move if the other one is not in the detent groove. I am also going to try and remove the cluster without having to disturb the input shaft seal or the Hi Lo shaft - not sure if it can be done but going to give it a try - have been studying things and I think I have come up with a plan that will work.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Starting To Take Tractor Apart.jpg
  • 2 Fender Pan And Seat Removed.jpg
  • 3 Removed Battery Tray To Check Tension On Drive Belts.jpg
  • 4 Parking Brake Lever Removed From Linkage Arm.jpg
  • 5 Brake In On Position To Move It Up Out Of Way Of Linkage.jpg
  • 6 Transmission Cover.jpg
  • 7 Transmission Cover Removed.jpg
  • 8 Jack Stands With SHort Pieces Of 2 x 4 On Top To Act As Levers.jpg
  • 9 Tube Clamps On Transmission Loosened.jpg
  • 10 Tube Clamps On Transmission Loosened.jpg
  • 11 Front Wheels Blocked.jpg
  • 12 Transmission Walked Back Along Frame Tubes.jpg
  • 13 Front Tube Clamps Left On And Snugged Up.jpg
  • 14 Piece Of Cardboard Over Transmission To Keep Dirt Out.jpg
  • 15 Inserts For Shifter Rails.jpg
  • 16 Inserts For Shifter Rails.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, July 15, 2017 - 05:24 PM.

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, Bruce Dorsi and 10 others have said thanks

#513 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted July 16, 2017 - 04:18 PM

Sometimes my plans work out and sometimes they don't - this one was a half and half deal. Removed the snap ring, gear and spacer off of the rear of the input shaft - with the larger holes in the new snap ring I had installed when I put the transmission back together it was a quick and painless operation with the 90 degree snap ring pliers.  Had a good look at the 15 tooth gear that I had repaired by welding and grinding and could see the wear pattern was not pretty - it may have ran a long time like that but I think replacing it with the repaired cluster with the new 15 tooth gear is a wise investment.  Stuck a rag under the shift rails and removed the roll pins starting with the Hi Lo rail - once the pin landed onto the rag I lifter it out with a magnet.  Slid each rail out after I removed the roll pin and as I did so I slid the inserts in to retain the detent balls and springs - used the insert with the groove machined in it on the first reverse shift rail. That part of the plan worked slick as I did not have to fish the balls and springs out or disturb the set screws that plug the holes on the side of the transmission.  Cut a short piece of wood and wedged it under the brake drum to support the front end of the input shaft and drove out the roll pin.  Since the drum had already been off it just slid off the shaft which made disassembly very easy.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Snap Ring Spacer And Gear Removed From Rear Of Input Shaft.jpg
  • 2 Snap Ring Spacer And Gear Removed From Rear Of Input Shaft.jpg
  • 3 15 Tooth Gear Does Not Have Nice Wear Pattern.jpg
  • 4 Roll Pin Removed From Hi Lo Shift Rail.jpg
  • 5 Insert Slid In Rear As Shift Rail Removed Holds Ball And Spring.jpg
  • 6 Hi Lo Shift Rail Removed.jpg
  • 7 Roll Pin Removed From First Reverse SHift Rail.jpg
  • 8 Insert With Detent Machined Slid In As Rail Was Renoved To Trap Ball And Spring.jpg
  • 9 First Reverse Shift Rail Removed.jpg
  • 10 Roll Pin Removed From Second Third Shift Rail.jpg
  • 11 Insert Slid In As Shift Rail Removed.jpg
  • 12 Second Third Shift Rail Removed.jpg
  • 13 Piece Of Wood Wedge Against Brake Drum To Support Output Shaft Wile Removing Roll Pin.jpg
  • 14 Driving Roll Pin Out.jpg
  • 15 Brake Drum Removed.jpg
  • 16 Brake Drume Removed.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 5 others have said thanks

#514 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted July 16, 2017 - 05:01 PM

Removed the three retaining bolts for the rear bearing support and bumped the support out by tapping against the inside of the support with a block of wood - since it had a layer of grease put on the o-ring when it was installed it came out fairly easily this time.  Then I removed the output shaft and slid the gears off as I did - once the shaft was out I put the gears back in place in order so I would not forget how they were installed.  Removing the shaft was fairly simple - just had to rotate it to get it back enough to clear the worm gear and then it slid out.  I pushed the rear input shaft bearing back a little bit in the case as it is a loose fit on this transmission and looking at the cluster it looked like it would lift out at the front and clear the case.  I removed the input shaft. put a piece of mechanics wire around the front of the cluster and gave it a try but it would not clear - this is where the plan did not work out.  Tried for a few minutes and also tried shoving the cluster ahead to see if the rear would clear the rear of the case but it was too tight so I switched to plan B.  Took a large flat screwdriver and slid it down from the top and pried the input shaft seal out - it actually came out fairly easy with very little damage and I probably could have reused it but I am not a fan of reusing seals so it will be replaced with the new one I had on hand.  With the seal out of the road I removed the front snap ring that was behind it and retains the front input shaft bearing. Once it was removed I could slide the input shaft bearing ahead a bit which allowed the front of the cluster to move ahead and I could then swing the rear of the cluster out of the rear bearing recess and then remove it form the transmission.  I had a look to make sure the front and rear thrust washers were still in the bearing recesses which they were.  The nice thing about removing the output shaft was that I did not have to disturb the Hi Lo shaft and cluster.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Rear Bearing Support Removed From Transmission.jpg
  • 2 Output Shaft Removed And Gears Slid Back On.jpg
  • 3 Rear Input Shaft Bearing Slid Back A Bit.jpg
  • 4 Looked Like Front Of Cluster Would Clear Transmission Case.jpg
  • 5 Input Shaft Slid Out.jpg
  • 6 Front Of Cluster Still Look Like It May Clear.jpg
  • 7 Put Wire Around Cluster to lit At Front But Would Not Clear Case.jpg
  • 8 Prying Out Input Shaft Seal With Large Flat Screwdriver.jpg
  • 9 Seal Removed With Little Damage.jpg
  • 10 Seal Removed With Little Damage.jpg
  • 11 Snap Ring Behind Input Shaft Seal That Retains Front Bearing Removed.jpg
  • 12 Snap Ring Behind Input Shaft Seal That Retains Front Bearing Removed.jpg
  • 13 Front Bearing SLid Ahead Allows Cluster To Move Forward Into Bearing Recess.jpg
  • 14 Rear Of Cluster Slid Sideways.jpg
  • 15 Cluster Can Now Be Lifted Out.jpg
  • 16 Rear Thrust Washer Sitting In Recess Ahead Of Rear Bearing.jpg
  • 17 Front Thrust Washer Setting In Recess Behind Front Bearing.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 4 others have said thanks

#515 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted July 16, 2017 - 06:56 PM

Put a dab of grease in the replacement cluster and set it in place making sure the front and rear thrust washers had remained in place - the front one had but when I slid the cluster ahead to check the rear one it stuck to the cluster and I heard a plop as it went for a dip in the bottom of the transmission.  Went and got the strong magnet and did a little fishing - finally found it in the bottom at the front of the worm gear.  Cleaned it and the magnet off and stuck the washer to the rear bearing with a bit of grease.  Slid the input shaft in from the front through the front bearing, front thrust washer, cluster, rear thrust washer and rear bearing.  I checked to make sure the gears all meshed nicely in various gears and ranges and everything looked good so I continued.  Put the front snap ring that holds the front bearing in place, greased the inside of the new seal and slid it onto the bulge in the input shaft where it runs - slid the input shaft out about 1/2" so that I could get the seal started on the shaft before I started to install the seal in the housing - with the shaft all the way in the seal fights as it is trying to start into the case and over the shaft at the same time.  Once the seal was installed I put the brake drum on the front of the output shaft, lined the hole for the roll pin up with a 1/8" punch, wedged the wood stick I used under the brake drum earlier when I removed it back under the drum again and installed the roll pin (forgot to take a picture).  Then I installed the rear spacer, gear and snap ring on the rear of the input shaft.   

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Dab Of Grease In Front Needle Bearing Of Cluster.jpg
  • 2 Dab Of Grease In Rear Needle Bearing Of Cluster.jpg
  • 3 Cluster Set In And Checking To Make Sure Front Wahser Was Still In Place.jpg
  • 4 Rear Thrust Washer Cleaned Up After Fishing Trip.jpg
  • 5 Rear Thrust Washer Stuck Back In Place With A Bit Of Grease.jpg
  • 6 Cluster With New Gear In Place.jpg
  • 7 Input Shaft Slid Into Cluster And Snap Ring For Bearing Installed.jpg
  • 8 Output Shaft And Gears Back In Place.jpg
  • 9 Rear Bearing Cup Back In Place.jpg
  • 10 New Input Shaft Seal Ready To Install.jpg
  • 11 Input Shaft Slid Out  A Little To Start Seal On Before Starting Seal In Case.jpg
  • 12 Input Shaft Seal Installed And Input Shaft Slid Back In.jpg
  • 13 Rear Spacer And Gear Slid On Input Shaft.jpg
  • 14 Snap Ring Installed On Rear Of Input SHaft.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, July 16, 2017 - 06:56 PM.

• Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#516 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted July 16, 2017 - 07:08 PM

Then I installed the shift rails back in place one at a time and installed the roll pins back in.  As I slid the shift rails in I let them push out the inserts as I held onto the insert.  I found putting a shop towel under the shift rail made lining up the holes easy to see and made the roll pin less likely of falling into the transmission if I happened to drop it.  Once the shift rails were installed I had a good look at where the gears lined up on the cluster in various gears and ranges as the detents positioned them.  Things looked good so I loosened the two clamps off and walked the transmission back ahead on the frame tubes.  When I got to the driveshaft coupler I slid it over the end of the input shaft and then turned the rear gear on the input shaft until the splines meshed and I could walk the transmission the rest of the way forward until the right side roll pin was up against the end of the right frame tube. Put the two rear clamps back on, covered up the top of the transmission again and called it a day as my back was letting me know how fond it was of the low work bench position.  Hope to finish getting it back together in the next day or two so I can take it for a test drive and see if it has more, less or the same amount of noise in Hi Range. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Second Third Shift Rail In Place.jpg
  • 2 Roll Pin Installed.jpg
  • 3 Shop Rag Made Hole Alignment Easy To See.jpg
  • 4 Shift Rails All Installed.jpg
  • 5 First Gear Hi Range Gear Engagement With 15 Tooth Gear.jpg
  • 6 Lo Range Third Gear Teeth Engagement.jpg
  • 7 Transmission Walked Back Ahead To Mesh WIth Driveshaft Coupler.jpg
  • 8 Rear Clamps Back In Place.jpg
  • 9 Right Frame Tube Against Roll Pin.jpg
  • 10 Done For Today.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 6 others have said thanks

#517 logmillingman OFFLINE  

logmillingman
  • Member No: 68213
  • 385 Thanks
  • 228 posts

Posted July 16, 2017 - 08:32 PM

Thanks for all the detail Stew I am taking notes!! I know I will be working on the 1050 at some point.

• 29 Chev and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#518 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,314 Thanks
  • 789 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 03:08 PM

Wow, you really are going all out on this one. You will not have left one screw un-turned!

• 29 Chev, logmillingman and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#519 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 05:44 PM

You will not have left one screw un-turned!

Nuts and bolts were made to be able to take things apart and after 45 plus years I think most of them were happy they got turned. :D

Got the transmission cover back on, most of the paint on the frame tubes touched up, and the transmission clamps tightened up.  Then I installed the fender pan back on and decided to start fabricating a bracket so that I can move the seat back about 2" more so my "little tummy" isn't so close to the steering wheel.  To move the seat back any further it had to go up to clear the fender pan at the rear so I made the brackets so they raised the seat up about 2" and did a test fit of the seat.  It fits ok and doesn't look too goofy but I may lover the bracket by about 1/2" as I think there is enough room to do this without the seat rubbing on the top of the rear fender.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Transmission Cover Back On.jpg
  • 2 Frame Clamps Tightened Up.jpg
  • 3 Paint Touched Up On Frame Tube.jpg
  • 4 Light Wire In Place To Come Up Beside Steering Column.jpg
  • 5 Fender Pan Back On.jpg
  • 6 Starting To Fab Bracket To Raise Seat Up And Back.jpg
  • 7 Starting To Fab Bracket To Raise Seat Up And Back.jpg
  • 8 Test Fit Of Seat.jpg
  • 9 Test Fit Of Seat.jpg
  • 10 Test Fit Of Seat.jpg
  • 11 May Lower Bracket About Half Inch Yet.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 6 others have said thanks

#520 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted July 17, 2017 - 11:14 PM

That tractor looks outstanding!

Again, great job 29!!!!
  • 29 Chev, logmillingman and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#521 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 04:03 PM

Did a bit more to the spacer today.  Got the tops lowered and curved the front edges back so they tuck under the seat at the top.  Did a test fit and it still looked ok and the seat still cleared at the rear so I added a few more braces and two more holes in the top to allow one more inch of adjustment.  Then I added some cross pieces to tie the two spacers together and gave them a splash of paint.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Spacers Lowered And Rounded At Front To Tuck Under Seat.jpg
  • 2 Spacers Lowered And Rounded At Front To Tuck Under Seat.jpg
  • 3 Spacers Lowered And Rounded At Front To Tuck Under Seat.jpg
  • 4 Seat On Lowered Spacers.jpg
  • 5 Seat On Lowered Spacers.jpg
  • 6 Seat Still Clears At Rear.jpg
  • 7 Seat On Lowered Spacers.jpg
  • 8 More Supports And Cross Pieces Added.jpg
  • 9 Two More Holes Added On Top For More Adjustment.jpg
  • 10 Cross Pieces Added.jpg
  • 11 Cross Pieces Added.jpg
  • 12 Spacer Painted.jpg
  • 13 Spacer Painted.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#522 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,480 Thanks
  • 2,671 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 05:24 PM

So tomorrow we find out if the tranny repair works without the noise?????????????

The suspense is killing me.  :rolling:  :rolling:

I suspect like all the other repairs that you've done, it will work just fine .

• KennyP, 29 Chev and logmillingman have said thanks

#523 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted July 18, 2017 - 05:46 PM

So tomorrow we find out if the tranny repair works without the noise?????????????

The suspense is killing me.  :rolling:  :rolling:

I suspect like all the other repairs that you've done, it will work just fine .

I may get it back together and running tomorrow - waiting for the correct tensioner spring (and some other springs) for the drive belts which I ordered from Bolens 1000 - been showing in Chicago Distribution Centre (USPS) since last Friday and no new updates - was hoping it would show up so I could put it in. 

You have to remember the cluster gear I welded the teeth on and ground was a repair I made and it may not have been my best work. :(  :(  :( 

Edited by 29 Chev, July 18, 2017 - 06:14 PM.

• blackjackjakexxix, TomLGT195, Austen and 2 others have said thanks

#524 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 12:59 PM

Got the seat bracket mounted and the seat back on.  Still no new update on the tensioner spring so I removed the short link I had added and reinstalled the tensioner spring and it appears to have the drive belts tensioned nicely.  Put the rest of the tractor back together, reinstalled the free wheeling pin and backed it out of the shop and took it for about a half hour joy ride around the yard and out to the road a few times.  I am happy to report that in Hi range the transmission is now almost as quiet as my first 1050 - still has a little bit of a whine in the Hi range gears but not nearly as bad as it was - the only gear now you really hear a whine in is reverse Hi range which appears to be normal as my first 1050 has a whine when in reverse Hi range as well.  Now I just have to get the governor working a little bit better and I will be done - I have a new governor and carb return spring (as well as the tensioner spring) ordered from Bolens 1000 which I hope will show up this week.   

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Seat Bracket In Place.jpg
  • 2 Seat Bracket In Place.jpg
  • 3 Seat Installed On Bracket.jpg
  • 4 Seat Installed On Bracket.jpg
  • 5 Seat Installed.jpg
  • 6 Seat Installed.jpg
  • 7 Seat Installed.jpg
  • 8 Seat Installed.jpg
  • 9 Wire Extension Removed And Spring Reinstalled.jpg
  • 10 Wire Extension Removed And Spring Reinstalled.jpg
  • 11 Tractor Back Together And Ready For Test Drive.jpg

• Bolens 1000, blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and 5 others have said thanks

#525 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,314 Thanks
  • 789 posts

Posted July 19, 2017 - 04:38 PM

Woo buddy, that last picture looks just like one out of a vintage brochure or advertisement!! You have a lot to be proud of there and I'll bet the maiden voyage sure brought a smile to your face. :)

• blackjackjakexxix, 29 Chev, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks