#241 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 06:07 PM

Then I clamped the outer edge of the hood to the piece of 1/4" angle iron and flattened the lip down using a large ball peen hammer after making sure the back side of the weld was ground off flush where the piece and the hood were joined and that there was no weld slag that would be trapped between the lip and the back side of the piece.  The lip is not quite as tight as the factory lip but I am happy with it - the hood looks decent in my opinion compared to the way it was - I gave things a final sand and called it a day.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Flattening Inner Lip Against Angle Iron.jpg
  • 2 Flattening Inner Lip Against Angle Iron.jpg
  • 3 Inner Lip Flatteded.jpg
  • 4 Final Sanding.jpg
  • 5 Final Sanding.jpg
  • 6 Final Sanding.jpg
  • 7 Final Sanding.jpg
  • 8 Final Sanding.jpg
  • 9 Final Sanding.jpg

• KennyP, WrenchinOnIt, stiemmy and 2 others have said thanks

#242 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 06:28 PM

Looks good, I wish I knew how to weld sheet metal that good.

Thanks - I find that getting the piece bent and formed to the proper shape before starting to weld it is 3/4's of the secret to getting a decent job.

• Chubien said thank you

#243 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 643 Thanks
  • 398 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 06:34 PM

Alot nicer hoods have found their way to the recycler, glad you could revive that one so nicely. I certainly would not have made any use of it.
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#244 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 1,187 Thanks
  • 744 posts

Posted February 11, 2017 - 07:21 PM

I know I sound like a broken record, but all I can say is great job!
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#245 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,187 Thanks
  • 44,172 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 06:50 AM

Nice looking fix. The hard part with sheet metal is not getting it too hot and warping it.

• 29 Chev said thank you

#246 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 12:26 PM

Nice looking fix. The hard part with sheet metal is not getting it too hot and warping it.

Thanks - Weld a little in one spot then move to a different spot while that one cools - adjust the mig welder heat and wire feed to match what you are welding.  I would much rather weld 16 gauge metal like this than 22 gauge that they use on cars.  I wish I was a better welder myself - I don't get the penetration as good as I would like sometimes and I tend not to move the weld along fast enough which results in a thicker weld than is necessary - waste of mig wire and grinding / sanding discs as it takes more time and materials to remove the excess.  I will be glad when the warmer weather comes back (heard that a number of Robins have been sighted in The Kitchener Ontario area so maybe spring will be early this year) and I can go back to the automatic helmet - lately I have just been using the hand held shield that came with the welder as I am working outside and like to keep the hood up over my head to stay warm so I only have one hand to use on the gun -  I have found that I can do a better job of holding and guiding the gun using two hands with my nerves of jelly.

• blackjackjakexxix, KennyP, WrenchinOnIt and 2 others have said thanks

#247 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,187 Thanks
  • 44,172 posts

Posted February 12, 2017 - 06:59 PM

I found tha slowing the feed speed some helped on the thicker welds issue. You can warp thin sheet metal grinding off excess weld too!

• 29 Chev said thank you

#248 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 05:08 PM

Started wire brushing the hood today and got a fair bit of it cleaned up before I ran into a technical difficulty - the 3/8" electric drill I use stopped working.  I guess it needed a break and after I looked at the clock I decided I did to so I pulled the drill apart to see what had happened and discovered that one of the brushes had worn to the stop and was not making contact any more - I was not surprised as I got it in 2002 and it has done a lot of work since then.  I marked down the model and type number of the drill and then did a little redesign on the brush so it could travel a bit further and put the drill back together after cleaning up the armature with a scotch brite pad.  Plugged it in and pulled the trigger and the drill works and sounds good and the magic smoke stayed inside so I will order new brushes and try it out tomorrow if the weather is not too cold.  I got the front lower lip where the hinge bolts on bent back to where it should be and smoothed out the pulley bump a little bit as it was slightly deformed and called it a day.  Attached are pictures of the progress.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Hood Partially Cleaned Up.jpg
  • 2 Hood Partially Cleaned Up.jpg
  • 3 Hood Partially Cleaned Up.jpg
  • 4 Hood Partially Cleaned Up.jpg
  • 5 Hood Partially Cleaned Up.jpg
  • 6 Hood Partially Cleaned Up.jpg
  • 7 Pulley Bump Deformed And Front Lower Edge  Bent.jpg
  • 8 Front Lower Edge Bent.jpg
  • 9 Front Edge Straightened.jpg
  • 10 Front Edge Straightened.jpg
  • 11 Front Edge Straightened.jpg
  • 12 Front Edge Straightened.jpg
  • 13 Pulley Bumb Reworked.jpg
  • 14 Pulley Bumb Reworked.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#249 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,872 Thanks
  • 2,432 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 06:19 PM

Do you find time to sleep?    :D   

:worshippy1:

• Bolens 1000 and 29 Chev have said thanks

#250 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted February 14, 2017 - 06:32 PM

Do you find time to sleep?    :D   

:worshippy1:

I eat (too much) and I sleep for short periods of time at night.  There are other ways I could be spending my time but they would cost as much or more money and not be near the challenge or fun I am having modifying other peoples "modifications".  Got to do something during the winter to keep from going off the deep end and there is already enough alcohol consumed in this part of the world - hopefully by this time next year I can try it out in some snow and see if the saying is true -  "Nothing runs like a Deere but a Bolens stays and addresses the challenge". 

• Deerlope, LPBolens, Bruce Dorsi and 4 others have said thanks

#251 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted February 15, 2017 - 06:06 PM

Alot nicer hoods have found their way to the recycler, glad you could revive that one so nicely. I certainly would not have made any use of it.

If anyone happens to come across hoods that are being recycled they can make nice looking tables as well - http://gardentractor...ood#entry540774

• Deerlope, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#252 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted February 17, 2017 - 05:23 PM

The Sun came out and shone for most of the day today (wasn't sure what it was that was so bright in the sky at first so I got my "Things I Hardly Remember" book out and found a picture of the sun in it and compared them - sure enough it was the Sun) and it warmed up to about 34 degrees F with not much wind so I got a bit more done to the hood.  Put the drill to work and finished wire brushing the top and grille part of the hood and then I used the DA sander to give everywhere I could get at a good sanding.  Will have to do a bit more cleanup in the areas I couldn't reach but the hood is slowly getting cleaned up.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Top Of Hood Wire Brushed.jpg
  • 2 Grille Wire Brushed.jpg
  • 3 Inside Wire Brushed.jpg
  • 4 Front Of Hood Sanded.jpg
  • 5 Front Of Hood Sanded.jpg
  • 6 Inside Of Hood Sanded.jpg
  • 7 Top Of Hood Sanded.jpg
  • 8 Inside Of Hood Sanded.jpg
  • 9 Repaired Area Sanded.jpg
  • 10 Headlight Area Sanded.jpg

• Deerlope, LPBolens, Bruce Dorsi and 4 others have said thanks

#253 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,314 Thanks
  • 789 posts

Posted February 17, 2017 - 09:45 PM

A passion, and a love is going into this project. It shows all around. :)

• Deerlope, blackjackjakexxix and 29 Chev have said thanks

#254 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 04:25 PM

The sun came out today for the second day in a row - even a honey bee came out to bask in the sunshine - wasn't moving very fast but I am pretty sure he had a smile on his face .  Got a new end style wire brush ( similar to a carbon brush used for cleaning cylinder heads) for the drill last night and tried it out today to clean up the top and bottom of the grille and some other spots inside the hood that I could not reach.  Once that was done I did some hand sanding and got the hood pretty well cleaned up to where I can give it a coat of self etching primer.  Went to move the hood over to the heated shop to apply a coat of body filler and noticed after it had been sitting out in the sunlight for a couple of hours that it felt warm to the touch so I left it on the saw horses and mixed up some body filler and applied a light coat to the inside and outside of the hood where I had welded the piece in.  Then I called it an early day and went and had a late lunch at a restaurant with some relatives I had not seen since November - we stood out in the sun and talked for about fifteen minutes without a winter coat on - felt good being out in the sun after days of cold cloudy weather.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 The Bee Came Out.jpg
  • 2 Grille Cleaned Up.jpg
  • 3 Grille Cleaned Up.jpg
  • 4 Inside Of Hood Sanded.jpg
  • 5 Side View.jpg
  • 6 First Coat Of Filler.jpg
  • 7 First Coat Of Body Filler Applied.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#255 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 35,187 Thanks
  • 44,172 posts

Posted February 18, 2017 - 04:38 PM

I've been swatting at bees all day! No harm to them! Just stay off my drink!

• blackjackjakexxix, 29 Chev and Bolens800uk have said thanks