Like most labours of love it takes time and as others have said the result should last quite a while and the investment will be worth it to me.
Took the wire brush to the fender today and started to clean it up - worked away on it outside as it was unusually mild - about 43 degrees F here. I noticed some pitting in the metal that formed the ribs where the slots are to mount the seat so I decided to add some reinforcement on the under side of the ribs using two 1/8 x 1-1/4" x 11-3/4" pieces of flat steel - this should prevent any cracking of the fender where the pits may have weakened it. Drilled two holes at the end where I wanted the slots to be and then used the die grinder with a cutoff blade to cut the slots out between the holes. Once that was done I tack welded the two pieces of steel to the bottom of the ribs, filled in the hole someone had made at the rear of the fender, straightened the fender a bit more where I welded the pieces in and also smoothed up the lip at the outer edge.
Edited by 29 Chev, January 22, 2017 - 06:06 PM.