#166 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted January 14, 2017 - 03:17 PM

Cut a couple of pieces to fill in the front area where the angle is and welded them in - not sure if these are exactly the right length but judging from pictures I have seen should be close and I am happy with the way they look.  Ground the welds, drilled the two front holes, cut the upper edge where the engine mounts and cleaned up the rest of them with the wire brush.  I got the holes off a little bit for the two front holes so I slotted them with a round file and then did one last test fit - things looked good so I think I can apply a little body filler and paint them now.  Picked up a new set of PTO belts that I ordered from a MTD dealer a couple of weeks ago - MTD still offers them here in Canada and were stock at the Kitchener Ontario warehouse.  I could have bought them direct from MTD and paid shipping but I priced them through the local dealer and he was less money and no shipping charges.  They are pricey pieces of rubber (not complaining as I am glad they are still available) and if they last as long as the ones on my 1050 do they will be worth it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Pieces Cut To Extend Angle Portion.jpg
  • 2 Pieces Cut To Extend Angle Portion.jpg
  • 3 Edge Cut Off Around Engine Mount Area.jpg
  • 4 Pieces Welded On And Welds Ground.jpg
  • 5 Pieces Welded On And Welds Ground.jpg
  • 6 Pieces Welded On And Welds Ground.jpg
  • 7 Holes Drilled For Front Screw.jpg
  • 8 Pieces Wire Brushed.jpg
  • 9 Pieces Wire Brushed.jpg
  • 10 Test Fit Right SIde.jpg
  • 11 Test Fit Left Side.jpg
  • 12 Test Fit Left Side.jpg
  • 13 Cutout Areas Where Engine Mounts.jpg
  • 14 Cutout Areas Where Engine Mounts.jpg
  • 15 New PTO Belts From MTD.jpg
  • 16 New PTO Belts From MTD.jpg

• Bolens 1000, LPBolens, Bruce Dorsi and 8 others have said thanks

#167 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted January 15, 2017 - 10:38 AM

Lookin great so far.

You do very nice work, and I cant wait to see the end results!

You got my fabbing blood runnin.
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#168 Dave in NY OFFLINE  

Dave in NY

• Member No: 7601
  • 62 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted January 15, 2017 - 11:54 AM

You fix parts most people would throw away. Being as you have already bought new belts, I surmise that a TRA10D will go on this tractor. I also suspect that You will will be rebuilding- refreshing one top to bottom for this project ? Just a guess.

• 29 Chev said thank you

#169 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted January 15, 2017 - 12:09 PM

You fix parts most people would throw away. Being as you have already bought new belts, I surmise that a TRA10D will go on this tractor. I also suspect that You will will be rebuilding- refreshing one top to bottom for this project ? Just a guess.

Thanks for the kind words - if other people did not throw things away there would be nothing to fix.

I still have not decided what I am going to use for an engine yet - I have repowered a 1050 with a Honda GX390 so that is one possibility - it can be made to fit with some modifications so that the original tractor can be left intact and reuse the original belts and pulley set up - http://gardentractor...th-honda-gx390/ .

It would be nice to get a Wisconsin TRA10D for the tractor and refresh it but there is no hurry - the weather is cold here so my desire to work on it is not high on the "to do" list right at the moment - there is a warming trend forecast for the next week -  time will tell.

• Deerlope, blackjackjakexxix and stiemmy have said thanks

#170 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted January 16, 2017 - 03:42 PM

Got the two lower brackets that support the side covers cleaned up today and since I only had one front and one rear I made two new ones out of 16 gauge sheet metal - was glad that I had a sample of each since they are different.  I also applied some body filler to the side covers, sanded them and gave them a quick coat of paint. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Side Mount Bracket.jpg
  • 2 SIde Mount Bracket.jpg
  • 3 Side Mount Brackets.jpg
  • 4 Rear Bracket Hole.jpg
  • 5 Rear Bracket As It Was On Tractor.jpg
  • 6 Front Bracket Hole.jpg
  • 7 Front Bracket As It Was On Tractor.jpg
  • 8 Body Filler Applied.jpg
  • 9 Two New Brackets Made And Painted.jpg
  • 10 Right Side Cover Painted.jpg
  • 11 Left Side Cover Painted.jpg

• Deerlope, LPBolens, blackjackjakexxix and 3 others have said thanks

#171 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 03:37 PM

Got the panel brackets bolted on as well as the two brackets for the front of the fender that go on the transmission cover - found out the two on the cover and the front two that go on the mounting plate are much easier to install before these items are installed on the tractor.  The two heads of the bolts for the bracket on the cover are blocked by the frame tubes underneath so I inserted the bolts from the bottom using a piece of mechanics wire and put a nut and lock washer on top.  I did not have any extra thin J nuts so I inserted the two bolts for the front panel brackets through the hole in the bracket and then put a nut and lock washer on the inside of the mounting plate - not much room for my big hands in there.  Once the brackets were installed I bolted the side plates in place on the tractor using six 1/4" x 1/2" UNC bolts and four 5/16 x 1/2" UNC bolts - will have to see if I can get some hex headed self tapping screws and some slotted round head screws to match what was there originally but these will hold the covers on for now. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Brackets For Front Of Fender Installed.jpg
  • 2 R Rear Bracket For Side Cover Installed.jpg
  • 3 Right Front Bracket For Side Cover Installed.jpg
  • 4 L Front Bracket For Side Cover Installed.jpg
  • 5 Left Rear Bracket For Side Cover Installed.jpg
  • 6 Right Side Cover Installed.jpg
  • 7 Right Cover Installed.jpg
  • 8 Left Cover Installed.jpg
  • 9 Left Cover Installed.jpg

• Deerlope, LPBolens, Bruce Dorsi and 5 others have said thanks

#172 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 03:45 PM

With the covers in place I can now start working on the rear fender and add the metal that someone cut out at the front along the sides as well as around the shifter area.  The fender was bent a bit along the sides at the front but I think I have it straightened fairly well - set it on the tractor to get an idea of how it fit.  Will have to make some templates out of cardboard to cut out some sheet metal to fill in the spaces (may have to use Wrenchinonit's Bolens Decoder Ring again to calculate the shape around the side panels).

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Rear Fender WIth Pieces Cut Out.jpg
  • 2 Left Side Bent Along Edge.jpg
  • 3 Fender Set In Place.jpg
  • 4 RIght Side Opening.jpg
  • 5 Left Side Opening.jpg

• Deerlope, Bruce Dorsi, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#173 blackjackjakexxix OFFLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Member No: 2194
  • 2,783 Thanks
  • 2,029 posts

Posted January 17, 2017 - 08:34 PM

Got the panel brackets bolted on as well as the two brackets for the front of the fender that go on the transmission cover - found out the two on the cover and the front two that go on the mounting plate are much easier to install before these items are installed on the tractor. The two heads of the bolts for the bracket on the cover are blocked by the frame tubes underneath so I inserted the bolts from the bottom using a piece of mechanics wire and put a nut and lock washer on top. I did not have any extra thin J nuts so I inserted the two bolts for the front panel brackets through the hole in the bracket and then put a nut and lock washer on the inside of the mounting plate - not much room for my big hands in there. Once the brackets were installed I bolted the side plates in place on the tractor using six 1/4" x 1/2" UNC bolts and four 5/16 x 1/2" UNC bolts - will have to see if I can get some hex headed self tapping screws and some slotted round head screws to match what was there originally but these will hold the covers on for now.

Very nice Stew
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#174 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted January 18, 2017 - 05:11 PM

Decided the easiest way to repair the cut out area was to fix the section above the transmission cover first so I made a cardboard drawing of what was left of the shifter opening, cut it out and then flipped it around to form a mirror image of the opening and then clamped it in place.  Then I marked out the top and side edge with a pen, cut out the template, marked out some 16 gauge sheet metal and cut a piece out.  I started to form the lip bend around the opening and over to the edge of the cover using the vise and a pair of vise grips - once that was done I clamped the piece in place to double check how it fit.  Things looked good so I welded it in place and then sanded the welds.  After that I did a test fit to see how it was fitting on the tractor - the space between the cover and the fender and the shifter opening looked good.  The Hi Lo shift lever just touches at the bottom of the fender when the lifter is pushed back so I will probably have to bend the edge of the fender a little bit so it clears.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Marking Out Hole For Shifter.jpg
  • 2 Cardboard Cut To Shape.jpg
  • 3 Cardboard Flipped And Clamped To Mark Out Metal Piece.jpg
  • 4 Cardboard Template And Sheet Metal Cut Out.jpg
  • 5 Bend Partially Formed At Lip.jpg
  • 6 Angle Iron Clamped To Act As Backing.jpg
  • 7 Piece Clamped To Be Welded.jpg
  • 8 Checking Height.jpg
  • 9 Back Side Welded.jpg
  • 10 Back Side Weld Sanded.jpg
  • 11 Front Side Welded.jpg
  • 12 Front Side Weld Sanded.jpg
  • 13 Test Fit Around Shifter And Transmission Cover.jpg
  • 14 Space Between Cover And Fender.jpg
  • 15 Hi Low SHifter Just Touching.jpg
  • 16 Hi Low SHifter Just Touching.jpg

Edited by 29 Chev, January 20, 2017 - 10:33 AM.

• LPBolens, Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 5 others have said thanks

#175 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted January 18, 2017 - 05:17 PM

Marked out two templates for the side pieces, cut two more pieces of sheet metal and welded them in - things warped a little bit so I did a little hammer work and got things kinda smoothed out.  Will probably have to fine tune the angles to make them symmetrical where they go around and down the sides when I try a test fit and will also square up the bottom edges but I think it is looking better than it did.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Right Template Marked Out.jpg
  • 2 Left Template Marked Out.jpg
  • 3 Pieces Welded In.jpg
  • 4 Pieces Welded In.JPG
  • 5 After A Bit Of Hammer Work.jpg
  • 6 After A Bit Of Hammer Work.jpg

• Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#176 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 35,187 Thanks
  • 44,172 posts

Posted January 18, 2017 - 06:33 PM

Nice repairs!

• 29 Chev said thank you

#177 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,527 Thanks
  • 1,827 posts

Posted January 19, 2017 - 04:16 PM

Wow!! Very nice work.
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#178 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,480 Thanks
  • 2,671 posts

Posted January 19, 2017 - 05:09 PM

Nice Job

• 29 Chev said thank you

#179 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted January 19, 2017 - 05:14 PM

Thanks for the kind words.  As I suspected the opening fit better on one side than the other so I marked out the centre of the fender and then made a cardboard pattern of the right side (which fit fairly well) and then flipped the cardboard and marked out where the left side needed to be trimmed to match.  Since it was right at the edge I was able to trim it with a pair of tin snips - I also marked out and squared out the bottom edges to make them equal and used a pair of vise grips to form the lower lip edge.  Then I did another test fit and things looked good so I put a piece of masking tape on both side covers and drew a line so I would know where the fender sits in relation to the bolt holes in the covers as this will let me start to make the "L" brackets to attach the covers to the fender at the bottom.  I put a screw in the right upper hole behind the Hi Lo lever and tightened it and now the Hi Lo lever just clears the fender.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Right Side Fit.jpg
  • 2 Left Side Fit.jpg
  • 3 Centre Of Fender Marked.jpg
  • 4 Cardboard Cut To Shape Of Right Side.jpg
  • 5 Cardboard Flipped And Clamped To Left Side.jpg
  • 6 Opening Marked To Be Trimmed.jpg
  • 7 Left Side Edge Trimmed And Bottom Edges Squared Up.jpg
  • 8 Bottom Edge Lip Shaped Using Vise Grips.jpg
  • 9 Right Side Fit.jpg
  • 10 Left Side Fit.jpg
  • 11 Hi Lo Lever Just Clears.jpg
  • 12 Masking Tape With Line To Show Where Fender Sits.jpg

• blackjackjakexxix, WrenchinOnIt and SamMC have said thanks

#180 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• Contributor
  • 7,108 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted January 19, 2017 - 05:20 PM

Then I marked out where I wanted to bend the inner edge to form the bead that should be there.  I used a pair of vise grips to bend the edge out and then afterwards I used them and a second pair to roll the outer edge back in to roughly shape the bead.  Then I used a couple of hammers to smooth things up a bit along the bead and also a flat file to round the corners a little and knock off any sharp edges - here are the results.  I will have to use a bit of body filler to smooth things up but I think it is starting to resemble what it looked like originally.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1 Using Vise Grips To Bend Edge To Form Bead.jpg
  • 2 Using Second Pair Of Vise Grips To Roll Edge Back Down.jpg
  • 3 Second Vise Grips Roll Edge Back Down.jpg
  • 4 Bead Roughly Formed.jpg
  • 5 Bead After Some Hammer Work.jpg
  • 6 Bead After Some Hammer Work.jpg
  • 7 Bead After Some Hammer Work.jpg
  • 8 Right Edge Of Bead.jpg
  • 9 Left Edge Of Bead.jpg
  • 10 Left Edge Of Bead.jpg

• Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 1 other said thanks