• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 aevansgatech ONLINE  

aevansgatech
  • Member No: 62323
  • 242 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 02:30 PM

Looking at a 1961 Allis B1 in what I would consider Excellent condition. Complete, clean, running, with mower deck.

I've had a look at the manuals on the site, as many threads about the B1 as possible, and done some general research on parts availability. From what I've gathered, it has the Briggs 19D one-cylinder 8hp engine and I've seen some parts online, but how do those engines typically hold up? Are the larger/more critical items like cylinders, crankshaft, etc impossible to find?

I'm also curious about the capability of older, lower hp tractors like this. Can 8hp really handle pulling a heavy cart, for example? Or move snow with a front blade? The only experience I've had is with 12+hp

Any other comments related to investing in a definite collector-quality B1 would be much appreciated

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Allis Chalmers Tractors have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 15180 Thanks
  • 9996 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 02:57 PM

Excellant questions. The answer is that it can handle an unbelieveable amount of work. The engine will not be the problem when pulling or pushing, the tires will slip first. They are alot of fun to operate and are the same as the Simplicity 700s and 725s. Those engines are long lasting and I find them common. I've got two waiting to rebuild and saw atleast one at each of the swap meets that I went to this summer. Checkout  www.simpletractors.com  to learn more about them.

The Allis Chalmers and Simplicity tractors have generally been under valued in my area. I picked up a nonrunning B-1 for $40 a couple of years ago. I picked a 19D engine out of the dump a few weeks later(its one of the waiting to rebuild). The B-1s and their big brothers the B-10s have a huge variety of attachments available. These tractors were very popular so there are still alot of tractors and attachments around(I think I have 6). Because the gas cap is exposed, if it doesn't run, there is usually a fuel issue. Good Luck, Rick

• Alc and Talntedmrgreen have said thanks

#3 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4097 Thanks
  • 2370 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 07:08 PM

Great machines, like boyscout I think these are awesome and super reliable.  engine parts can be a bit of a pain to find but you will only need to rebuild the engine one time, I did the engine in my big ten about 8 years ago and have done nothing but general maintenance to it since.  otherwise if it is as you say and the price is not to bad then go for it !!!!!!!!!!!

Pete

#4 aevansgatech ONLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 242 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted October 27, 2016 - 09:27 AM

Based on some discussion over on simpletractors.com, it seems the advertisement might not be 100%accurate. Says all original, which would mean paint and all, but I agree it may have been repainted/restored. That's not an issue, per se, but would make the ad misleading. I don't have the expertise to say for sure.

THoughts on the value of what let's call a 100% fully restored, running, complete, repainted, etc B1 with working mower deck and flawless seat?

#5 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3367 Thanks
  • 2367 posts

Posted October 28, 2016 - 11:39 AM

The concern I have with the ad is the misconception the current owner has regarding it's actual condition, showing what may be a lack of knowledge about the machine and it's value.  There are very few true restorations out there, and none of them sell high enough to recoup the seller's cost.  I become more skeptical as the seller's perception of the value (asking price) increases.  Most are simply cosmetic refinishes, which vary widely in the quality of materials and workmanship.  I hate to be cynical, but most I see are lipstick on a pig...refreshed appearances to cover up age and wear.  That makes them tougher to judge, and easier to overpay on.

Personally, I would save my pennies for a true original, as it will often be perceived as less valuable from the average seller, and accurately show the use and abuse the machine has undergone.  I don't mind rough tractors...I mind rough tractors represented as 'restored', which to most collectors, indicates mechanically, as much so as cosmetically.  

The model, and those based on it's design, is an impeccable example of a truly tough design.  They do all sorts of work!  

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 Enginerod OFFLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 251 Thanks
  • 299 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 02:02 PM

Those engines seemed to be way under rated, mine pulls a 1000lb roller and runs a 42 inch snowblower without a problem!  

#7 aevansgatech ONLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 242 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted June 28, 2019 - 01:32 PM

I still regret not picking up the pristine B-1 mentioned in this post...

Thank you for the responses and information. It seems the 60s ACs are built quite tough and 8-10 horses are plenty

Stay tuned as a similar opportunity has knocked..

• B10Dave said thank you

#8 Compact7 OFFLINE  

Compact7
  • Member No: 86901
  • 29 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted July 05, 2019 - 02:30 PM

Just speaking towards horsepower or the perceived lack of power. My 71 Sears Compact 7 was unstoppable. Sure, I could bog it down pulling a trailer of firewood up our steep driveway in third, but in second or first gear, it would pull till the tires spun, digging a hole if I had chains and weights. Same for moving dirt and gravel with the snow blade. The only thing that would stop it was a buried rock or tree root.

When I broke the connecting rod in the original 7hp Tecumseh after I hit one too many rocks with the mowing blade, I swapped in a 2.5 hp B&S I had laying around. A big step down in power. I installed a smaller pulley on the motor, and while slower than before, it will still pull that trailer of wood up my drive using low gear or spin the wheels trying.

-Ed

#9 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2568 Thanks
  • 1631 posts

Posted July 05, 2019 - 03:08 PM

... I'm also curious about the capability of older, lower hp tractors like this. Can 8hp really handle pulling a heavy cart, for example? Or move snow with a front blade? The only experience I've had is with 12+hp

Any other comments related to investing in a definite collector-quality B1 would be much appreciated

I have a 2hp walk behind tractor that pulls an 8" single furrow plow without any trouble.

#10 aevansgatech ONLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 242 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted July 07, 2019 - 11:55 AM

I have a 2hp walk behind tractor that pulls an 8" single furrow plow without any trouble.

Awesome! Yeah the more I learn it seems like traction is almost always the limiting factor. Even 1 or 2 horses are pretty strong!

Following up on the original thread, I can now happily mow with my new AC Big Ten and it be not gets bogged down if I cut 6+ inches of thick grass. Won’t be an issue now that I am motivated to mow IMG-20190630-WA0002~2.jpg
  • B10Dave, Dee, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#11 the_law_man01 OFFLINE  

the_law_man01
  • Member No: 90178
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted August 04, 2019 - 06:28 AM

Seeing your picture and reading this thread really makes me want to get to work on the B-1 I acquired this spring. Complete with the mower deck and original 19D engine (needs rebuilt). It has been repowered to what appears to be (haven't verified numbers yet) a B&S 16hp.

Once the 19D is rebuilt, I'll likely move the 16HP ovr to my Simplicity 3314V and put the B-1 as close to original as I possibly can.

I bought it from the original owners who, as far as I understand, only used it for mowing. 9e09112dfb137afc5e0c8fb075adae56.jpg537092f5ea9945a327f832045633325c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
  • B10Dave said thank you

#12 aevansgatech ONLINE  

aevansgatech
  • 242 Thanks
  • 276 posts

Posted August 08, 2019 - 05:39 PM

Seeing your picture and reading this thread really makes me want to get to work on the B-1 I acquired this spring. Complete with the mower deck and original 19D engine (needs rebuilt). It has been repowered to what appears to be (haven't verified numbers yet) a B&S 16hp.

Once the 19D is rebuilt, I'll likely move the 16HP ovr to my Simplicity 3314V and put the B-1 as close to original as I possibly can.

I bought it from the original owners who, as far as I understand, only used it for mowing. 9e09112dfb137afc5e0c8fb075adae56.jpg537092f5ea9945a327f832045633325c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nice! These are beautiful tractors

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
  • the_law_man01 said thank you