• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ranchero50 OFFLINE  

Ranchero50
  • Member No: 85038
  • 24 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 09:02 PM

So, while wandering around one of our local junk yard we turned a corner and came upon this little guy looking forlorn and truly out of place.  It's so sad, looking like it had just been dropped off by some child of a prior owner who didn't want "dad's old junk" anymore and just dropped it off for a couple bucks.

Bunch of new parts, key in the ignition and the battery cover is even on the seat.  Original tires, hubcaps and the seat covers are even in decent shape.

moline.jpg

Now, I have a coworker who collects everything Minnie Moline so I had the kid send him a text asking how much it was worth.  Crickets...

moline2.jpg

Walked up to the office and told the owner what it was and that it was just too nice to be in the junk yard.  He asked, I offered $150, he said $200 was better but he was happy with $150.  Figure the kids probably got $25 for it.  Two yard apes and an articulated fork lift later it was on the back of my truck and we were on the road.  The yard fellows said it was dropped off with two other newer machines by some yuppie guy in a rental truck.  Seriously, some peoples kids...

So, newer battery, fix some corrosion on the neutral safety switch and she turns over.  Gas tank doesn't stink horribly so some fuel get is started without the obligatory plumes of blue smoke.  Ammeter even showed it charging, at least until the carb overflowed and drowned it out.  Off with the gas, out with the spark plug, clear the engine and let it sit for a couple days while the fresh gas does it's thing to the carb.  Plug back in and it fires off OK.

Fast forward a couple weeks and after a liberal dose of Goop to lift the grime out of the paint and several hours of aluminum foil polishing up the shiny stuff here she is after mowing my 5000 square foot chunk of crabgrass.  Yeah, takes about ten minutes to mow the grass but it sure is a fun ten minutes.  The astute will notice that it has the tractor side parts for a snow blower install.  Sadly I have no idea what happened to the blower since they are extremely rare, especially in MM colors.

DSC03058.jpg

DSC03059.jpg

DSC03061.jpg

DSC03060.jpg

Finally, from what I've been able to find out, it's a White contracted MM logo'd Jacobson Chief.

DSC03053.jpg

Long term I'm going to preserve this guy and not restore it.  The machine has a history and I wish I could read it's story beyond my assumption that an older guy had it and was tinkering with it until he was no longer able, then his kids pitched it.  It did have a bunch of little old guy fixes (not to be confused with farmer fixes) and I've undone most of them to get it functioning correctly.

Oh, BTW, my coworker buddy has three of these and wants to make this his forth :)

This evening I picked up a 40" aftermarket 2 stage snow blower that I plan on adapting to this guy.  More to come...

Jamie

• hamman, KennyP, Titus and 13 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,198 Thanks
  • 8,902 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 09:34 PM

Welcome to GTT. Very nice save. I suspect that you are already one of us(hopeless lover of old treasures). You've done a great job. Check our Manuals Section for the manuals to that tractor. Thanks for posting great pics. The reward for saving these is the seat time. Good Luck, Rick

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,392 Thanks
  • 3,018 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 10:47 PM

NICE

Hope you grabbed the battery cover that was sitting on the seat.You won't find another one unless your really lucky.

#4 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,132 Thanks
  • 740 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 02:18 AM

I suspect you're right boyscout, had to save it, cleaned it pretty, going to preserve it (high Mark's there), looks like a massy in the background and looking for implement's, wait till his wife find's out they make walk behinds lol,Defiantly got to have it at that price,nice find and save

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,505 Thanks
  • 7,857 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 03:22 AM

Man! Right place, Right time on that one 4 sure! When's My good luck MM gonna pop up? Darn things get $1000 even in that shape it seems.

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,554 Thanks
  • 44,992 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 04:40 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Nice save on that tractor!

#7 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,132 Thanks
  • 740 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 10:04 AM

Man! Right place, Right time on that one 4 sure! When's My good luck MM gonna pop up? Darn things get $1000 even in that shape it seems.

wonder'n what his friend is thinking (or offering), probably just short of a leg

#8 Ranchero50 OFFLINE  

Ranchero50
  • 24 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for the kind words.  My buddy who collects them said to leave it as original as possible and I agree with him.  I am going to pop the seat covers off and replace the degraded foam and weld up the crack in the nose of the aluminum deck.  Current struggle is finding a wiring diagram as I tweaked the regulator yesterday and made the drop out relay spring too soft and it melted one of the sense wires when the generator turned into a starter.  it'll have a battery disconnect installed soon.  The search for the wiring diagram found the Chief manuals on another site which showed that I'm missing a wooden cover for the battery.  That's why the cover is off in the later pics.  The instructions are even in decent shape on the lid.

I also have a '58ish Simplicity Wonderboy 700 that was a free be from an estate clean out, another old guy toy.  It came with a blade and nothing else but fired off and needed some basic stuff to get going.  It's in considerably worse mechanical shape vs. the MM and not nearly as useful with a 7hp B+S.

DSC01857_zps04c5e970.jpg

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#9 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,884 Thanks
  • 1,109 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 11:14 AM

Wow!
Two great tractor!
I love the looks of the MM. I need to find one of those for myself sometime.

#10 Ranchero50 OFFLINE  

Ranchero50
  • 24 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 11:21 AM

wonder'n what his friend is thinking (or offering), probably just short of a leg

$500 cash or $900+ worth of newer 24hp Bolen's with a mower deck, blower and tiller.  I told him I'd sell it to him once I wasn't interested in it.  He collect's MM stuff, big stuff, little stuff literature etc.  I'm supposed to eventually get the MM manuals and I'm going to scan them.

Been tinkering and found the ID tag on the blower.  It's a Nomo Outdoor Products 5705-0600 and it's 37" at the throat and 43" wide at the wings.  I hope the 12 hp Kohler will drive it.

Edited by Ranchero50, October 25, 2016 - 02:49 PM.

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,505 Thanks
  • 7,857 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 04:33 PM

Yep, batt box covers usually gone, are PIA to remove/add when doing batt stuff. Yes, the board was orig in there to insulate from terminals. First time I saw that was thinking just someone's added idea, but was stock later learned.  Manual should be same as a Ford or Jake would think. Guess I'll just have to get a Jake and paint it Prairie Gold, heck with the tags!  Who would paint others in MM colors anyway??? :smilewink:

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,554 Thanks
  • 44,992 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 05:31 PM

I have yet to see an MM manual! We have plenty of Ford, Jake and a few Olivers.

#13 Ranchero50 OFFLINE  

Ranchero50
  • 24 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 05:48 PM

Does anyone have good dimensions for the wood?  One of the old guy fixes was to glue some plastic to the hot side of the top cover (seriously).  The bottom wood is there but I have two different size all thread anchors.  A couple pics of the original stuff would be great.  Manual is only so good.  

This evening I finally gave up on the battery.  Shows a good charge but just buzzes the solenoid and kills the lamps when it does.  12.7v otherwise.  Is there a spec for the battery?  Old one is a 230 cca that's pretty new but crapped out.

Oh yeah, I need a couple pics of what holds the headlamp panel in the frame.  Mine is wonky.  On the good side, all of the original lamps work except the PTO clutch lamp.

As always, thanks for the help in advance.

PS, was mentioned that I may be one of you.  Indeed I am a tinker by heart.  I dabble in just about anything.  Shop has a CNC mill, manual lathe, couple welders (MIG TiG etc.) and I like forming sheet metal.  I'm a moderator on Fordification.com too which supports my enthusiasm for building a Cummins powered '71 F350 dually.  Currently I'm elbow deep in a 1971 John Deere 400 grinder (look that up) that needs a ton of work to keep it functional.  I'm an industrial mechanic, working on big printing presses in a 2.1M square foot facility.  Hoping to stick around for a while.

• jimbobbillyray and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#14 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,195 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 02:57 AM

Go to the top of this page.
Search this forum for " battery cover"
You should find lots of good info there!

Joe
  • Ranchero50 said thank you

#15 MM MARK OFFLINE  

MM MARK
  • Member No: 83900
  • 66 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted October 27, 2016 - 04:18 AM

Great find, wood dimensions for the top are 8 3/8" by 5 3/16" piece of 3/8" plywood with a block of wood 1" high by 1 7/16" glued under to offset the battery terminals, drill holes 2 9/16" from the bak .   

• KennyP, Cat385B and Ranchero50 have said thanks