UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 15,335 Thanks
  • 8,639 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 08:40 PM

I was pretty impressed. It has started this little Saturn (about 8 times before it needed charging again) and a V6 Explorer so far. I am curious to see how long it lasts. 

I really like that I can charge it from the lighter in the truck. It will be handy for tractors and it weighs a ton less than the big ones.

• jhn9840, olcowhand, Gtractor and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,525 Thanks
  • 9,820 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 09:25 PM

That little 450 amp one?

#3 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15,335 Thanks
  • 8,639 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 10:10 PM

This one http://www.harborfre...pack-62749.html
  • Cvans said thank you

#4 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,905 Thanks
  • 4,559 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 10:18 PM

I have one of their old fashioned style, had it about a year, holds a good charge and is lighter than the expensive ones. So far my $40 looks good. I'd like one of the lithium ion units like yours also.

#5 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,188 Thanks
  • 1,354 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 11:37 PM

Sure beats dragging around a deep cycle battery for boosting. How long charge lasts I'm told is a year. I would test occasionally because sure as heck you leave it a year you'll find yourself with a dead battery and a dead booster

#6 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 15,335 Thanks
  • 8,639 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 05:46 AM

Sure beats dragging around a deep cycle battery for boosting. How long charge lasts I'm told is a year. I would test occasionally because sure as heck you leave it a year you'll find yourself with a dead battery and a dead booster

I use them so much it won't go more than a week without jumping something. The big jump box/compressor has lost its umph and is really not any good for anything besides airing up tires.

#7 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 05:54 AM

I use them so much it won't go more than a week without jumping something. The big jump box/compressor has lost its umph and is really not any good for anything besides airing up tires.

this seems to be the way of them. You might open it up and add two or three tsp of water to each cell. Several batteries like this I have brought back partway or back to new this way. The cheap chargers seem to overcharge and cook the water out.
We got a unit from TSC that seems to be about twice the quality. Had one from the same mfg for a decade before that.
My little HF jump box lasted about 18 months and the battery shorted out.

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,128 Thanks
  • 6,232 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 07:26 AM

Just about all the HF battery items I have had ended up with battery failure within a year.  Especially their drill-drivers.  Have to keep them working regardless of what brand.  I use my pack to power the 12V winch to pull and lower my GT's on & off the work table.  Have had it for over a year now and still going strong.  Can't think of the brand right off but starts with a J and same as the Antifreeze brand.  Old age I guess.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,676 Thanks
  • 30,972 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 07:39 AM

I bought a Shumacher jump box well over a year ago at TSC, and it still works as well as the first time I used it.  I've had Craftsman, and others over the years, but this one is the best yet.  It's started a Cat 3208 diesel when all the truck's battery would do was rapid click the solenoid.

• MH81 said thank you

#10 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,905 Thanks
  • 4,559 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 09:11 AM

My last jump box was from Snap On, it lasted 12 years, no kidding, but it went bad overnight, can't complain though. MF HF unit is about a year old give or take, so far so good. It must have a smallish batter because it's way lighter than my old one. But for $40 it is what it is.

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#11 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,963 Thanks
  • 29,757 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 11:26 AM

I bought a Shumacher jump box well over a year ago at TSC, and it still works as well as the first time I used it.  I've had Craftsman, and others over the years, but this one is the best yet.  It's started a Cat 3208 diesel when all the truck's battery would do was rapid click the solenoid.

That's the brand.
Dozer, GT's, the MF165, plow truck. No match for these.
  • KennyP said thank you

#12 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,762 Thanks
  • 4,905 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 06:14 PM

I bought one off the took truck similar to the one Willie bought only it was rated at 1000 amps. Of course, I had to pay a little more too. It started a Chevy Dura-max that was so dead it wouldn't even light the dome light. Was showing less than 2v. Spun the engine over like it had 2 new batteries in it. The only complaint I have is that the cables are a little short for some applications.

• olcowhand, Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,676 Thanks
  • 30,972 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 06:21 PM

I bought one off the took truck similar to the one Willie bought only it was rated at 1000 amps. Of course, I had to pay a little more too. It started a Chevy Dura-max that was so dead it wouldn't even light the dome light. Was showing less than 2v. Spun the engine over like it had 2 new batteries in it. The only complaint I have is that the cables are a little short for some applications.

That is nothing short of amazing!

#14 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,606 Thanks
  • 7,332 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 05:37 AM

Ok I believe you guys more then any advertisement , so how can these little jump start boxes be so powerful ?    I think they would make great gifts for my kids to keep in their cars .

#15 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,762 Thanks
  • 4,905 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 07:25 AM

I don't know how they do it, Al but they claim it's all in the battery. I'm sure they aren't all the same but I've been impressed with mine. I'll try to get the manufacturers name. They are supposedly built in Ohio. The guy with the Duramax laughed when I got out of the truck with that little jump box. He was picking his jaw up off the ground when I hit the key.

• Alc, KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks