• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#46 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 932 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 12:08 PM

I think this one should be within a couple hours of you.  Might be worth a look.  Seems to have the implements you're looking for.

http://limaohio.crai...5814605526.html

• MH81, KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#47 Escapegoat OFFLINE  

Escapegoat
  • Member No: 85016
  • 9 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted October 28, 2016 - 01:00 PM

What do you guys think of this one?  

http://detroit.craig...5842489815.html

I might go look at it tomorrow.

#48 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,621 Thanks
  • 2,632 posts

Posted October 28, 2016 - 01:50 PM

a tiller for that is kinda hard to find

#49 nitro OFFLINE  

nitro
  • Member No: 71342
  • 170 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted October 28, 2016 - 03:08 PM

https://pittsburgh.c...5833685430.html

I think a 149 is almost the best choice for parts and attachment availability.  I wanted a 149 when I bought my 1450, guy sold it out from under me.

Edited by nitro, October 28, 2016 - 03:09 PM.

#50 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 998 posts

Posted October 28, 2016 - 03:29 PM

I have a 149 with a front end loader(fel). I Love the tractor!
They're a very well built machine. Parts are still easy to find.
The K341 14 hp kohler motor are easy to fix and find parts for. You will need a external gearbox to make the tiller work but they are easy to find. The transaxle are bullet proof. The steering column is like the old car or truck type. They're easy to rebuild and upgrade if you have any play it it. I think the price is ok but you should be able to get it for less.

#51 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,488 Thanks
  • 1,566 posts

Posted October 28, 2016 - 03:39 PM

Looks like a sweet deal to me. The attachments alone in that ad are worth $500!  And that is NOT including the deck which I think is a 50".  A tiller or snow thrower for that will be easy to get ahold of and you have a lot of other attachments with it already.  I'd go for it were it me.  It still has the small panels between the dash tower and the engine which often get thrown away and are missing.  Looks to have been well cared for, a new seat and some reflectors or taillights and you'd be in business.

#52 DZG ONLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 545 Thanks
  • 471 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 10:33 AM

Make sure you take a battery so you can be sure thats all it needs :D
  • Cvans said thank you

#53 Escapegoat OFFLINE  

Escapegoat
  • Member No: 85016
  • 9 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted October 29, 2016 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for all the advice, folks.  I went and picked up that 149 today.  The guy came down to $700, and get this, he threw in an old Ariens tiller than hadn't been started in many years and a jerry-rigged leaf sweeper that can be towed behind the tractor.  We put gas in the tiller and it started up easy.  It seems to be in good shape, but I haven't really tested it.  I didn't want to run it long on that old oil.  

The seller temporarily installed the battery from his brand new Cub Cadet lawn tractor, and the 149 fired up easily.  The hydrostatic drive makes very little noise.  It's a perfectly usable machine right now.  It does have a lot of wear and tear, but hardly any rust and no signs of abuse. He also gave me the owner's manual and some other paperwork from when his dad bought it in 1973.

I'm really happy with the deal I found and I think this tractor will be a lot of fun. Again, thanks for all the advice. I'll post some pictures tomorrow when I unload the trailer.

• IHCubGuy, Cvans, TomLGT195 and 3 others have said thanks

#54 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,488 Thanks
  • 1,566 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for all the advice, folks.  I went and picked up that 149 today.  The guy came down to $700, and get this, he threw in an old Ariens tiller than hadn't been started in many years and a jerry-rigged leaf sweeper that can be towed behind the tractor.  We put gas in the tiller and it started up easy.  It seems to be in good shape, but I haven't really tested it.  I didn't want to run it long on that old oil.  

The seller temporarily installed the battery from his brand new Cub Cadet lawn tractor, and the 149 fired up easily.  The hydrostatic drive makes very little noise.  It's a perfectly usable machine right now.  It does have a lot of wear and tear, but hardly any rust and no signs of abuse. He also gave me the owner's manual and some other paperwork from when his dad bought it in 1973.

I'm really happy with the deal I found and I think this tractor will be a lot of fun. Again, thanks for all the advice. I'll post some pictures tomorrow when I unload the trailer.

Sounds like you did very well.  Welcome to the Cub club.  LOL!!!  Can't wait to see the pictures.

#55 nitro OFFLINE  

nitro
  • Member No: 71342
  • 170 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted October 30, 2016 - 12:56 PM

You meet the nicest people buying Cub Cadets.

#56 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,684 Thanks
  • 998 posts

Posted November 07, 2016 - 10:33 AM

Do you have any pictures yet!! It's been over a week!

#57 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,468 Thanks
  • 2,660 posts

Posted November 07, 2016 - 04:20 PM

Do you have any pictures yet!! It's been over a week!

:ditto:  :smilewink:  :smilewink: