56 replies to this topic

#31 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,079 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 11:20 AM

That's allot of money for that ingersoll, you can get a really nice one around here for $1000 with a few attachments. Otherwise they are really nice machines.

#32 tjbindy OFFLINE  

tjbindy
  • Member No: 70707
  • 86 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 11:27 AM

I would consider a Massey / Snapper 1855 if you can find one.  There were some listed on here with the attachments you would want.  They have hydraulic lifts, 3 point hitch on the back, and front / mid and rear PTO to drive just about any implement your heart could desire. 

But I must confess, I have been a MF junkie since my dad bought one back in the late 70's.

Here is a sample of what I am talking about.  This one seems to be without implements an is a bit far away.

http://southbend.cra...5795203445.html

Edited by tjbindy, October 25, 2016 - 11:55 AM.

#33 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 11,801 Thanks
  • 8,926 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 01:04 PM

I really like this one:  http://cleveland.cra...5836950066.html  

Yeah, ain't she a beauty? There's one thing about a Case/Ingersal and that is using them on steep terrain. The folks on here that have them can explain.

#34 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 419 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 02:36 PM

Those things are stout. They are good tractors.

Just remember though, onans can get pricy quick if repairs are needed. But that thing looks damn near pristine

#35 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,480 Thanks
  • 1,560 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 02:42 PM

That's a good point.  I doubt I would regret buying a machine that is a little larger and a little more powerful than I need, but I would be disappointed if I got one that I like but I find it isn't powerful enough to run a snowblower.  I also like a wide deck to knock out my mowing faster, and that requires more power.  I'll take your advice here and concentrate my search on the higher horsepower models.  If it comes with a wide deck that's a big plus too.  

Apparently there isn't a lot of concern about the hydrostatic drives failing on these tractors.  I'll take you guys' word on that.  I know there are big advantages to a hydrostatic drive, I've just always been scared off by the price.  But we all know that if you wanna play you gotta pay.

I really like this one:  http://cleveland.cra...5836950066.html  

Can't speak on the price but that is an extremely nice unit there and Case/Ingersoll units are very stout machines you can't go wrong with.  I would advise again like DZG above me that Onan's are great but can get pricey when they need work.

Edited by IHCubGuy, October 25, 2016 - 02:42 PM.

#36 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,076 Thanks
  • 1,596 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 03:54 PM

Easy on the Onan scaring fellas. They're no more expensive to repair than a Kohler Magnun twin. Onans typically have a long service life and an extremely satisfying torque curve. One of my personal favorites. Yes, they cost more to repair than a K Series kohler single but so does pretty much everything. I would recommend staying up in the 16hp and up range. Sounds like a Super GT is definitely up your alley. Most have 60" decks and cat. 0 3 points. Be patient and the right deal will come along.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

#37 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,580 Thanks
  • 4,288 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 04:27 PM

I would suggest the same thing I tell guys looking for their first motorcycle, buy big enough. Don't get sucked into smaller tractors and then regret ie when it's snow moving time.

Also don't exclude all later MTD built tractors, my Cub Cadet 3208 has very heavy, partially boxed frame, power steering, hydraulics, a front bumper designed to actually push stuff, like small stumps and trees, heavy duty transaxle, weighs over 800 lbs with no attachments, etc... And a top speed of 10 mph so you can outrun most of your neighbors! :D  Yes there are shitty MTD's but not all.

#38 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,774 Thanks
  • 5,734 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 04:36 PM

Easy on the Onan scaring fellas.

Just buy one that doesn't need work and then there is no worries.  :D

#39 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,480 Thanks
  • 1,560 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 05:42 PM

Easy on the Onan scaring fellas. They're no more expensive to repair than a Kohler Magnun twin. Onans typically have a long service life and an extremely satisfying torque curve. One of my personal favorites. Yes, they cost more to repair than a K Series kohler single but so does pretty much everything. I would recommend staying up in the 16hp and up range. Sounds like a Super GT is definitely up your alley. Most have 60" decks and cat. 0 3 points. Be patient and the right deal will come along.

Eric

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I agree with them being one of if not my favorite.  Dad put one of those Briggs Vanguard engine kit in his JD 318 and I was trying to get him to just overhaul his Onan instead but he opted for the Vanguard.  I honestly don't care for it compared to the Onan.  It's an ok engine but not the same.

Edited by IHCubGuy, October 25, 2016 - 05:43 PM.

#40 MiCarl OFFLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 881 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 05:47 PM

One thing you need to know is garden tractor implements are for the most part brand specific - they won't interchange to other makes of tractors without at least some fabrication.  You should either look for a complete package or a tractor that has lots of implements on the market.  Around here (Detroit) sears implements are fairly common.

In your area you'll run into some Speedex tractors.  They are simple, durable and inexpensive.  Allegedly they don't mow great and implements can be a challenge.

Depending on where you land can make a big difference in the amount of snow you get.  I grew up just outside the snow belt South of Cleveland, just a few miles North of us would get 10X the snow we got.  Likewise, I don't believe they get much near the lake shore.  It's part way up the hill where you get hammered.

If you end up someplace that gets a lot of snow and has lots of trees/gardens/etc. in the yard you're probably going to find that a tractor big enough for snow removal is inconvenient for mowing.

In my case I ended up with a zero turn for mowing and a Speedex tractor for everything else.

• Cvans said thank you

#41 Escapegoat OFFLINE  

Escapegoat
  • Member No: 85016
  • 9 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 07:33 PM

One thing you need to know is garden tractor implements are for the most part brand specific - they won't interchange to other makes of tractors without at least some fabrication.  You should either look for a complete package or a tractor that has lots of implements on the market.  Around here (Detroit) sears implements are fairly common.

In your area you'll run into some Speedex tractors.  They are simple, durable and inexpensive.  Allegedly they don't mow great and implements can be a challenge.

Depending on where you land can make a big difference in the amount of snow you get.  I grew up just outside the snow belt South of Cleveland, just a few miles North of us would get 10X the snow we got.  Likewise, I don't believe they get much near the lake shore.  It's part way up the hill where you get hammered.

If you end up someplace that gets a lot of snow and has lots of trees/gardens/etc. in the yard you're probably going to find that a tractor big enough for snow removal is inconvenient for mowing.

In my case I ended up with a zero turn for mowing and a Speedex tractor for everything else.

I neglected to mention, for the sake of brevity, that I have an old 52" Toro Proline walk behind mower with a home built sulky.  A previous owner repowered it with an 18 horse Briggs Vanguard.  I welded up the sulky.  Right now it is at a friend's house in TN and it has a problem with the electric clutch for the deck.  It sounds like it has a sheared key, but without checking it out myself I'm not sure.  It was great for my 1 1/4 acre yard in TN, and I think it will be good enough for this much flatter 2 acre yard in OH.  I really just want a mower deck for the garden tractor for a backup, since old stuff always breaks sooner or later.  I should be able to keep one of them working most of the time.   :D

This area around Sandusky doesn't get as much snow as Cleveland, but from what the locals tell me I'm still going to see a lot more snow than I'm used to.  Right now I'm leaning toward either a Bolens or Cub Cadet because they seem really common around here and they have that Kohler engine which is by all accounts is good and cheap to repair.  Ideally I would like to get one that already has a deck and either a plow or snowblower.  Of course it's really going to depend on what deals are out there in a couple months when I'm ready to buy, and probably what mood I'm in at the time.  

• Cvans said thank you

#42 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 5,774 Thanks
  • 5,734 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 07:44 PM

and either a plow or snowblower. 

Unless you have a lot of room to push the snow I would suggest you get a blower. 

#43 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,876 Thanks
  • 1,249 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 07:50 PM

since no one has said it yet, i have to be "that guy". You will buy one that you think you like, then a better cheaper one will come along. You will buy that one too. That is not the end of it, you will keep checking the ads and buy up all the "bargins" you can find. The next thing you know, you will have a backyard full of GTs and spend all your free time split between here, craigslist and ebay looking for parts and the "last one"

• KennyP, Cvans, EricR and 5 others have said thanks

#44 nitro OFFLINE  

nitro
  • Member No: 71342
  • 170 Thanks
  • 113 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 07:48 AM

This area around Sandusky doesn't get as much snow as Cleveland, but from what the locals tell me I'm still going to see a lot more snow than I'm used to.  Right now I'm leaning toward either a Bolens or Cub Cadet because they seem really common around here and they have that Kohler engine which is by all accounts is good and cheap to repair. 

I love the tube frame Bolens, but when I had to choose a tractor a few years ago I ended up buying a Cub Cadet because the parts are everywhere and not all that expensive, the tractors are everywhere and the implements are not that hard to find around here.  I had a Bolens before and parts are available, but not like an IH Cub.  I may still get another tube frame for a project when I have more time. 

#45 DZG OFFLINE  

DZG
  • Member No: 84305
  • 419 Thanks
  • 362 posts

Posted October 26, 2016 - 09:07 AM

I may still get another tube frame for a project when I have more time.

I got 3 i might be willing to part with :D
  • nitro said thank you