#1 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,536 Thanks
  • 1,348 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 02:08 PM

Got these at Auction today,among some other things but no tags on these engines,I am sure of the shorter one As a Model A,thinking the other is a model K any one know for sure.
IMG_0716.JPG IMG_0717.JPG
IMG_0718.JPG IMG_0719.JPG
IMG_0720.JPG IMG_0721.JPG
IMG_0722.JPG IMG_0723.JPG
  • Bolens 1000, Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,759 Thanks
  • 4,903 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 02:49 PM

I would think the taller one is a Z or ZZ. I don't think they ever made a tin shroud K. If I remember right, the ZZ used 1 inch pipe for the intake and the Z used 3/4.

• Bolens 1000 and drbish have said thanks

#3 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• Contributor
  • 1,536 Thanks
  • 1,348 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 03:15 PM

Yep Doug's in the Know it is either a Z or a ZZ,they show a crank start but it could have had many
variations from the previous owner .There was so many tractors and walk behinds with wrong stuff on
them,One good thing is everything was stored in semis up until they were brought and sold

#4 stiemmy OFFLINE  

stiemmy
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 2,537 Thanks
  • 1,830 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 04:39 PM

The smaller of the 2 looks like a Z to me, and the larger looks like a PE? These would both be similar to the ZZ.

#5 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 4,081 Thanks
  • 2,369 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 05:24 PM

That smaller one is an a, later model by the carb. I have a,very early a with the stovepipe carb. Big one is hard to say without a closer look, maybe zz.
Is the A complete? Want to sell? I need the crank starter gears for mine.
pete

#6 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,759 Thanks
  • 4,903 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 06:32 PM

After further review........I'm going to say the smaller one is a B. The B had 7 head bolts and the A only had 6. The A also didn't have a removable bearing plate on the output side and the B did. Hard to say on this engine with the gear reduction. The true designation would be a BR? depending on the amount of reduction. The height from the base to the tallest side of the head looked to be about 17 inches on the B. The cast shroud Z was about 19.

The tin shroud engine looks original to me except it's missing the air cleaner. I'm not sure if Briggs was still making the Z when they switched from the cast to the tin shroud or if they were all ZZ's after that. Don't remember the exact date they switched but sometime mid 40s. They were the last of them and the only ones to use this style shroud. I've never heard of a PE engine, like to learn more. They did make a ZZP that had a bearing on the output instead of a bushing and had a flanged back for mounting trans adapters. The chain steer Economy is one that comes to mind that used the ZZP.  This engine doesn't look drilled and I can't see the back plate well enough. Briggs supplied several variations of their engines. that's why the type number is important.

• Bolens 1000, MH81, drbish and 1 other said thanks

#7 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• Contributor
  • 1,536 Thanks
  • 1,348 posts

Posted October 23, 2016 - 09:07 AM

That smaller one is an a, later model by the carb. I have a,very early a with the stovepipe carb. Big one is hard to say without a closer look, maybe zz.
Is the A complete? Want to sell? I need the crank starter gears for mine.
pete

I have not decided yet,I am going to check them out today and see what is up with them.

#8 jimmy G ONLINE  

jimmy G
  • Member No: 78021
  • 1,130 Thanks
  • 738 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 12:55 PM

I found the big one on YouTube, zzp