15 replies to this topic

#1 Bigwillydier OFFLINE  

Bigwillydier
  • Member No: 85001
  • 4 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 01:30 PM

Hey guys,

I keep finding that I have questions about my tractor. Googling usually works ok, but I finally got the idea to find a community of knowledgeable people who love their tractors.

Anyhow.. I just replaced my previous lawn tractor with a Husqvarna GT52XLS about a month back. Yeah, it mows.. but like a lot of you, I don't only mow with it. I know mowing in the rain is less than desirable for a number of reasons, but would I be putting my girl at risk by simply operating her in the rain? Will she rust and / or fall apart at the seems if she does't get toweled off when I'm done?

Thanks!
Willy

#2 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,822 Thanks
  • 2,324 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 02:03 PM

Hey willy!

Welcome to the group and thank you for posting. For the price of those machines, I'd sure hope not that they'd rust that quickly, but many things new will rust. Go into a car showroom, look under and find me something that doesn't have rust ;)

I know some LT & GT owners who wipe down their machine after each use, others who set it and forget it. 

• Bigwillydier said thank you

#3 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,839 Thanks
  • 1,154 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 02:05 PM

I have used mine in the rain and snow many times and never dried it off , it's painted to keep it from rusting , wiping it dry isn't going to hurt anything but I don't think it's necessary.  

#4 Chucktin OFFLINE  

Chucktin
  • Member No: 81957
  • 38 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 02:22 PM

Mine lives under a leanto roof behind my workshop so it's pretty much out of the weather. I even throw a tarp over it as well. But ... do wish that deck wash worked as advertised. I can hear the deck rusting from the bottom up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
  • boyscout862 and Bigwillydier have said thanks

#5 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,192 Thanks
  • 5,790 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 02:45 PM

:welcometogttalk: :camera: of your new machine

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,778 Thanks
  • 4,879 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 02:51 PM

Welcome to GTtalk!
It might speed up the coming of rust some. But not significantly like storing it outside would. For myself I place that chance in with the cost of running the tractor when and how I want to. Including in the rain some.

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,835 Thanks
  • 8,675 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 03:27 PM

Welcome to GTT. I'm not hard corpse enough to mow in the rain but I know that wet grass will gum up the deck and leave big lumps of grass on the lawn. Good Luck, Rick

#8 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,222 Thanks
  • 2,907 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 04:34 PM

My neighbor washes his off after every use and coats the underside of the deck with used engine oil out of an old Spray gun twice a year.It's an older 90s MTD but the deck on it still looks like new.

If you want it to last more than 5-10 years keep it clean.Husqvarna GT52XLS lists as having a 50" 11 gauge steel deck which is nice heavy steel compared to most of the other mowers Husqvarna sells.Most of those are 13 or 16 guage which is pretty darn thin.

Worst thing about not cleaning your GT thoroughly is that all the grass and dirt will end up in all of the bearings and bushings and cause them to go bad prematurely.All of the idler pulleys and deck spindles and steering components are susceptible to this happening.

#9 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 5,200 Thanks
  • 4,584 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 04:35 PM

:welcometogttalk:  Rain shouldn't hurt it, and neither would wiping it off either!

#10 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,978 Thanks
  • 3,861 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 05:34 PM

I have seen people use a pressure washer to clean the tractor and deck. Cleans good, but it pushes water into your bearings too, which is not good. I would use an air hose to clean things off. If a tractor or anything never gets wet , for what ever reason, it will last longer. I use mine for snow removal, gets very wet. But what to do , is the question. Every body has different ways and ideas.

Noel.
  • Bill 76 said thank you

#11 Bigwillydier OFFLINE  

Bigwillydier
  • 4 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 09:05 AM

Mine lives under a leanto roof behind my workshop so it's pretty much out of the weather. I even throw a tarp over it as well. But ... do wish that deck wash worked as advertised. I can hear the deck rusting from the bottom up!

Thanks!

About that deck wash port.. My friendly neighborhood Husqvarna dealer actually said not to use the deck wash when they delivered the tractor.. seems like such a good idea.. but he said it causes more problems than it's worth and that I should just pull off the deck and manually clean it a few times a season.. 

• KennyP said thank you

#12 Chucktin OFFLINE  

Chucktin
  • 38 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 09:55 AM

Yes. I have been contemplating a ramp. Drive onto (it) and up, turn on the spray, drive away with a clean (er) deck. Not sure I'd accomplish anything except saving me from crawling around on all fours R&R the deck.

• KennyP said thank you

#13 Bigwillydier OFFLINE  

Bigwillydier
  • 4 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 10:13 AM

:welcometogttalk: :camera: of your new machine

OK!  

2016 Husqvarna GT52XLS

• boyscout862, Bill 76 and UltraCube have said thanks

#14 Bigwillydier OFFLINE  

Bigwillydier
  • 4 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 11:38 AM

My neighbor washes his off after every use and coats the underside of the deck with used engine oil out of an old Spray gun twice a year.It's an older 90s MTD but the deck on it still looks like new.

If you want it to last more than 5-10 years keep it clean.Husqvarna GT52XLS lists as having a 50" 11 gauge steel deck which is nice heavy steel compared to most of the other mowers Husqvarna sells.Most of those are 13 or 16 guage which is pretty darn thin.

Worst thing about not cleaning your GT thoroughly is that all the grass and dirt will end up in all of the bearings and bushings and cause them to go bad prematurely.All of the idler pulleys and deck spindles and steering components are susceptible to this happening.

Yeah, the deck is pretty beasty! Haven't seen anything like it on similar machines. Well.. not in the stores I've been to at least.

My biggest concern was that I'd wreck the thing if I used it in heavy rain. Two weekends ago, I was using her to reclaim part of my yard that the previous owners neglected with some ground engaging equipment and right towards the end of the job.. the skies opened up and it was absolutely pouring.. I raised my sleeve hitch and high-tailed it back to the safety of the workshop. I didn't want to risk taking her out even after the heavy rain stopped..

But.. thanks to you guys.. it sounds like I don't need to be too worried about that!  :rocker2:

#15 Chucktin OFFLINE  

Chucktin
  • 38 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted October 24, 2016 - 11:49 AM

We have a fairly mucky (fill) lawn, one acre and horses. So "sludge" tends to build up in some spots. Back ege of the exit chute, in a hump between the blades. So I've just resigned to get down and get under to keep things relatively clean.