#1 pryan05 ONLINE  

pryan05

LGT

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84973
  • 379 Thanks
  • 218 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 09:10 AM

Hi Great forum.  I recently acquired a Closed sided Ford LGT 165 with a basket case engine.  I also acquired a Miller bobcat welder with a Kubota D722 diesel motor with the intentions of installing this motor in the tractor.  I would like to know if there is anyone out there that has done such a project and if so what are the challenges.  ie.  size of radiator, drive shaft stubs PTO clutch.  Any info would be helpful.  

• propane1 said thank you

#2 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,384 Thanks
  • 3,657 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 10:00 AM

I have a 165, but never done that to mine. Would be neat to have a diesel. I put rings and things in my gas engine three years ago. Let us know how it turns out.

Noel
  • pryan05 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,095 Thanks
  • 8,267 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 10:08 AM

Welcome to GTT. That will be an awfull lot of work. The tin work alone could be dozens of hours to do a nice job. Consider rebuilding the original Kohler or getting a replacement Kohler engine. Check out our Manuals Section for free downloads. Look at some of the threads we have on repower projects(it is an entire forum) for a better idea of what you will be up against. Whatever you decide, post plenty of pics. Good Luck, Rick

• pryan05 said thank you

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,819 Thanks
  • 9,448 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 10:48 AM

First, eyeball it up and take lots of measurements. Verify rotation direction of the engine so you know which way it has to sit. We have quite a few members who have repowered machines with closed hoods into diesels, so they should be dropping by soon.

Have you verified the Kubota is a good runner and doesn't need any work?
  • pryan05 said thank you

#5 pryan05 ONLINE  

pryan05

LGT

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 379 Thanks
  • 218 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 11:30 AM

145 with mower
lgt/ kubota d722
Album: LGT Repower
56 images
0 comments

lgt/ kubota d722

Her are some pics of the diesel and The tractor.   The diesel looks really bad because it spent most of its life in a underground mine up here.  It runs great, it only has 230 hours on it.  The welder no longer has weld output and I have no need for a diesel welded.  I am up for the challenge and I'm not in a rush because I have a LGT 145 the I restored a couple of years ago that I use to mow and blow snow.  Also a picture of my 145 with the Kohler.  Its a great machine.  

Edited by pryan05, October 21, 2016 - 11:31 AM.

• boyscout862, propane1 and 64fleetside have said thanks

#6 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,145 Thanks
  • 2,440 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 12:28 PM

Yes, Skyrydr2 has put a Diesel in a 165. The thread should be here under Ford/ Jacobsen  If not send him a PM and he should be able to direct you to the thread and maybe offer some advice?

Welcome to GTTalk !!!

• skyrydr2, boyscout862, Bmerf and 1 other said thanks

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 7,712 Thanks
  • 7,324 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 01:25 PM

Bellhousing would be my  biggest worry and how to clutch it if needed.  As noted, check rotation. I have seen some diesels that were backwards and had radiator back by dash, not in front, not sure issues there??  OR, might have to put the radiator in front, but front of engine is back by the dash.  Not sure how drive is connected on front of an engine then.  I vote for rebuilding the Kohler that was in it, it fits and is good engine when done.  If you want a Diesel, buy a tractor with one in it.  Another thing on gens with smaller engines at least, is they have a tapered drive shaft that does not allow much ability to put pulleys and shaft couplers on them. Maybe a bigger Diesel has complete diff set-up, don't know.

• pryan05 said thank you

#8 48willys OFFLINE  

48willys

• Member No: 8184
  • 171 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 02:21 PM

I was going to say why would you junk out a diesel welder, then I saw your pictures. :rolling:

The Kubota's, unlike a gt engine have a flywheel and most likely a adapter that's bolted to it with the normal tapered generator shaft. The good thing is you should be able to unbolt it and get any adapter you need made, but it may cost you. Size can be a problem, but its only a 14.5-16 hp engine depending on how it was specked so the block size may be in the range you need, and you may be able to run your drive shaft off the front like the Cub Cadets did(best way if you want PTO).  Without seeing it in person I would say fitting it in there is doable. Only a guess, but the big problem you are going to have is getting a pto clutch on it and getting the whole thing to fit in the tractor, unless you have a rear pto or only want to pull implements. A hydro is a great tractor to start with though as you only need to work out how to get the drive shaft hooked up. Mostly I would start by getting that Kubota out and seeing what you have to work with and what the dimensions are, it looks like it could be a cool project.     

Edited by 48willys, October 21, 2016 - 02:25 PM.

• boyscout862 and pryan05 have said thanks

#9 pryan05 ONLINE  

pryan05

LGT

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 379 Thanks
  • 218 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 03:04 PM

Yes should be able to unbolt the tapered shaft if there is one and get whatever made to bolt on. Thats what I was thinking. I glad someone second that thought.  Its rated at 20hp.  I thinking the the radiator will be by the dash and the PTO is on the flywheel end. I took the rear end out of the tractor this afternoon to reseal it.  (It leaked very bad).  I'm going to get the frame in good shape first then the Kubota will come out of the welder. As for the Kohler it just needs a piston..  Thust me,  it would be so much easyer to put that engine back into the 165 but were is the fun in that?  The Kubota didn't cost me anything "YET".  I do realize there will be dollar amount for machining of parts and more.    Thanks for the replies.  I'll keep yous posted

Edited by pryan05, October 21, 2016 - 03:44 PM.

• propane1 said thank you

#10 48willys OFFLINE  

48willys

• Member No: 8184
  • 171 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 04:49 PM

So my brother says the the block size of your engine is the same as the D600, just bigger bored so I really don't see why it shouldn't work. If your rotation is correct off the front of the engine you may be able to find a drive yoke from a cub or copy one and make it work. Just a thought, but if it has a tapered shaft adapter on the flywheel you may be able to use a electric clutch from a toro golf course mower as some used that style.
  • pryan05 said thank you

#11 pryan05 ONLINE  

pryan05

LGT

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 379 Thanks
  • 218 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 04:59 PM

Cool that is really good information.. I'll look for pictures of said drive yoke.

#12 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,793 Thanks
  • 1,466 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 06:04 PM

Great Start. Would love to put a diesel in my 195; but haven't found one yet.

Skyrydr2 has done it., but I think the actual build is on "the other forum."

Here is some content:

http://gardentractor...th-d600-kubota/

http://gardentractor...lized-ford-lgt/

http://gardentractor...age-snowblower/

http://gardentractor...ear-pto-update/

http://gardentractor...hydraulic-pump/

http://gardentractor...pto-attachment/

• skyrydr2, Cvans, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#13 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,783 Thanks
  • 3,346 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 05:57 AM

Thanks guys for the help guiding Ryan in the right direction.The original build was over at the other place...but all the good stuff is here.Kenny and Dan pulled me over,(thanks guys your like brothers) Any ways search for my threads there are many on my lgt.
Right now I'm consumed with my new toy getting little silly issues sorted. I didnt realize how much I missed playing with big tractors and auxiliary hydraulics...I'm in heaven right now.. But i also love helping others so Ryan, lets get that diesel out of that welder and hanging over the frame of that Ford lgt!
Here are a few good reads..
http://gardentractor...hitch-by-keith/
 http://gardentractor.../5032-skyrydr2/
And a shot of my big tractor and the second one is what it will look like when finished.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20160925_154747.jpg
  • db1594.jpg

Edited by skyrydr2, October 22, 2016 - 06:11 AM.

• KennyP, Cvans, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#14 pryan05 ONLINE  

pryan05

LGT

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 379 Thanks
  • 218 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 07:26 PM

Thank you all, for your help.  Love the heavy iron Keith, good job.  I'm working on getting rear end back in the frame, it needed to be resealed.  Then it's tear down time.

#15 pryan05 ONLINE  

pryan05

LGT

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 379 Thanks
  • 218 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 06:06 PM

It fits...
Motor is out of the welder and sitting on the tractor.  I need to remove all the electrical and air cleaner.  I have a better idea what I'm up against.  Challenge accepted.
possible stub shaft
I need a stub shaft for the PTO.  Maybe I can get one made out of this.  I have to talk to the machinist.. 

• KennyP, Cat385B and TomLGT195 have said thanks