#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,505 Thanks
  • 7,857 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 05:51 PM

Ebay searching. I have my PK with 24" tires, same as Cubs then. I've tried Ag tires chains, IH Cub search and mostly get the tires and wheels, not chains, garden tractor gets many, but too many to scan thru w/out size listed. I can't seem to come up with just the Company's for NEW chains that were so popular in past. Would like to go to a site and put in size and see what's offered w/out having to look thru hundreds.  I'm finding used that say fit several brands or have measurements only and I have NO idea now what measurements I would need to fit. Think my tires are 8.3 width, will have to check for sure. I find listed ones at 11 or 14" widths, but not sure how much I can get away with on this tire. Seems 11 might work with some down sides??  Would also like ones with the roundish area in center to keep out of the lug space, but seems they are $300 to $400 for new ones I have seen, so out of question. Hoping just the 2 link space ones will be enough, but they are rarer in the bigger sizes, plenty in GT sizes.  Don't want the "diamond" grip or such, they tear up drive, have had those on smaller tractors.  How about some names of good company's to search for w/out ebay or other sites.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,198 Thanks
  • 8,902 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 06:04 PM

"Campbell" used to be the big name in tire chains.

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,554 Thanks
  • 44,992 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 06:10 PM

Maybe you can find something here!

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,505 Thanks
  • 7,857 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 06:28 PM

OK, many leads go to un-related searches, even TSC link goes way off. Tire Chains.com seems easiest and cheapest and having in stock items so far. Here's a few choices from site.  Biggest thing is it is in PAIRS, not singles like many others. I could not find how to figure shipping, even when put in saved mode and put in my zip?? Don't get that.

Standard ladder link 4 link 3/8" chains  $118

Same in 2 link  $271

Square twisted with 3/8" links, one of my favorites so far  4 link $190

Double Ring 4 link with 5/16" rings  2nd choice to me   $162

Recommend rubber adjusters a pair for 13.70 if bought with tires.  Seemed decent enough. 

Opinions?   Think I like the twisted ones best so far for the money and size of links. All in stock, but still not sure on the shipping.

• KennyP said thank you

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,505 Thanks
  • 7,857 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 06:45 PM

Campbell comes up with lots of chain parts and so on for corporate or others.  The ag or snow links take you to ebay or other sites and can't seem to do search by size there. Might be just not picking right links?  They seem to show links, parts, and connectors when doing first searches, but when you choose a link off the list you get another site with MORE links and gets frustrating.  There are too many sales places like ebay and amazon and others trying to put in their offers which in many cases are few really. Tire chians.com looks like the way to go so far.

#6 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,470 Thanks
  • 1,184 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 06:59 PM

I just went down to the local good will and got old car chains and modified them to fit. Don

• Gtractor and old coot have said thanks

#7 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 585 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 07:03 PM

Is this what you seek?

https://www.peerless...tion/tirechains

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,144 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 07:28 PM

I just went down to the local good will and got old car chains and modified them to fit. Don

There are a lot of good used, but rusty, tire chain out there if you can get people interested enough to dig them out.  I want a pair fo standard 15" tires - no reply as yet.

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,315 Thanks
  • 6,000 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 07:46 PM

See if you can find someone who sells chains for grey market tractors. My Mitsubishi mt2201 has 24" tires on it. 

• chieffan said thank you

#10 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,354 Thanks
  • 787 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 08:45 PM

Campbell.

#11 old coot ONLINE  

old coot
  • Member No: 54079
  • 98 Thanks
  • 76 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 05:03 AM

been doing the same for years

#12 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 988 Thanks
  • 763 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 10:13 AM

There are a lot of good used, but rusty, tire chain out there if you can get people interested enough to dig them out.  I want a pair fo standard 15" tires - no reply as yet.

I have a set for 15" tires that I bought years ago for my van I used to have. Send me a PM if interested. Cheap. Never been on a tire.

Edited by SimplyRad, October 21, 2016 - 10:14 AM.

#13 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 8,505 Thanks
  • 7,857 posts

Posted October 22, 2016 - 01:05 PM

So, dove in and ordered those square cross link type and on the way with two tensioners. Hope no issues. Should be here Wed, so it says!  Now, have a weight box to go out and try to mount to my 3pt. We'll see what happens with it now.