• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 221 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 12:50 PM

The topic pretty much sums it up, I want to flush the fluid from the hydro, swap the filter, and refill, but I can't seem to find a recommended procedure for doing so. I've searched around and come up with a few threads here and there which discuss possibilities, but nothing concise.

For those of you who've flushed one, what worked best for you? Any gotchas or time savers?

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,846 Thanks
  • 8,687 posts

Posted October 20, 2016 - 05:38 PM

What does the manual say? A complete draining and filter change will get most contaminents. If necessary, let the tranny drain for a few days. Good Luck, Rick

#3 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • 221 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 09:55 AM

That's the kicker, the manual doesn't say or I've managed to miss it somehow.

#4 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 281 Thanks
  • 265 posts

Posted October 21, 2016 - 11:14 AM

If your H-16 is like my 1256, there is no drain for the hydrostatic unit fluid (mine has the reservoir under the front of the seat).The only way to drain it is take the filter off and a hose off at the lowest point and let gravity do it, but you will never get it all. If it is like mine, there is a plug on the bottom to drain the 90 wt. from the differential, but that is all.

• dtsh said thank you

#5 dtsh OFFLINE  

dtsh
  • 221 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted October 25, 2016 - 07:59 PM

Thanks Bud W, that's effectively what I've done. Once it all drained out I emptied the lift cylinder by manually operating it, then spun the driveshaft by hand to push a bit more out. I can see why this is done rarely, what a hassle.