• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tbevel OFFLINE  

Tbevel

• Member No: 3723
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 28, 2011 - 11:19 PM

Hello ladies and gentlemen, I am new here and I am about 3/4 done with cleanup of a Craftsman 19.5 I inherited from my father-in-law when he passed several years ago. After new plugs, fresh oil, new fuel line/filter, flushed gas tank,etc. it started easily and runs very well. If no one minds I have a couple of questions. First while cleaning the oily gunk under the dash I noticed both harnesses that should plug into two separate Switch Interlocks were taped shut with electrical tape( not plugged in) and in one case there is a jumper wire that fell out when I took off the tape. I don't know which two terminals were jumped now. What do these switches do and should I leave well enough alone or replace them? Second question, while it sat it leaked Hydro fluid out of the left axle. I cant seem to find if that seal can be replaced by me. thanks for any help.

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 29,510 Thanks
  • 29,568 posts

Posted May 29, 2011 - 09:25 AM

:welcome:

The interlocks are often disabled on these tractors. They should probably be replaced for safety and sanity sake. Saves you figuring out the wiring too.

As for the leak, if it has sat outside for a period of time, you will want to replace that oil. Or at least check that the level isn't high due to water being in it. As for seal replacement, you best bet is to look at an exploded view of the Rear end. Do you have the Model Number? That would be a big help.

Edited by MH81, May 29, 2011 - 11:30 AM.

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,353 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted May 29, 2011 - 10:49 AM

Tbevel,:welcometogttalk:

Glad to have you with us.

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 33,236 Thanks
  • 42,685 posts

Posted May 30, 2011 - 05:22 AM

Welcome, Tbevel. Know what the model # is will get a lot more info coming your way.

#5 Tbevel OFFLINE  

Tbevel

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 30, 2011 - 10:00 PM

As it happens I have the original manual from my father-in-law. The model no. is 917.259573. It was always garaged when he had it. But when we got it there wasn't enough room inside for permanent storage, so I put it under my deck and covered loosely with a tarp. It is in really great shape, some scratches on the body( yet to buff out what I can), and as I said there was some oily grass gathered up under the dash. I have been really cleaning all the caked on stuff off cuz I just don't like looking at it. I mow with my Troy Built self-propelled( which has never given me a bit of grief), but I will use this rider to cut time down alot when I am finished with it. I think I saw somewhere that you should use 5W motor oil for the Hydro fluid. Is this right? I think most of the fluid leaked out the axle seal while it sat. Manual says there is a Wiper Seal, then a Sleeve Bearing, then a Seal, then a washer. I have all the part no.'s I just wondered if these can be put in easily. I with upload pics when I get it further along and it is more back together, thanks for all info!

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 33,236 Thanks
  • 42,685 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 06:53 AM

If you go here, you can look at the wiring. Interlocks are still available.

http://www.searspart...hdMod=917259573

#7 Tbevel OFFLINE  

Tbevel

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 05:16 PM

Thanks Kenny!

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 33,236 Thanks
  • 42,685 posts

Posted May 31, 2011 - 05:28 PM

You are more than welcome, Tbevel. Glad to help.