• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Ohiocartparts OFFLINE  

Ohiocartparts
  • Member No: 84815
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 07:40 PM

I have a 782 that I put a Kohler CH20s running good I have not drove it yet just forward and back a few inches it started making a wierd noise now it free wheels but wont move there are no leaks have checked the weep holes on the relief valves nothing wet but not sure where to check the fluid level the tractor has sat in a barn for 25+ years any help would be appreciated.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#2 adamjd200 ONLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,391 Thanks
  • 1,526 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 08:51 PM

Fluid level dipstick is under the seat.

#3 Ohiocartparts OFFLINE  

Ohiocartparts
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 09:00 PM

thanks i thought that was just for the rear diff that level is full any idea why it would be free wheeling all of a sudden

#4 diesel nut ONLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 494 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 09:07 PM

Dipstick is for both hydro and rear diff.  What kind of noise did it make before it stopped moving?  Some of them have a whine when they're running if its cold or low on oil or the drive is slightly out of adjustment.  The only time I've seen one stop moving is if the oil level is too low or a pin inside the charge pump broke or the rare case where one of the spirol pins in the driveshaft broke.  The free wheeling is normal for those tractors and some push easier than others but it shouldn't roll as easy as a gear drive tractor in neutral there should be a little resistance when you push it.                   Stewart

#5 Ohiocartparts OFFLINE  

Ohiocartparts
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 09:17 PM

had the engine running and it sounded like a nut was loose inside something so i left it run it quited down after a couple min i was going to inch it forward to clean the floor under the tractor and pickup tools but no movement pushed on the tractor from behind it rolled forward very easy I have the seat and fenders off everything dry rolled over to the lift and everything dry underneath looked at the shaft pin looked in tact but will make sure in the morning

#6 Ohiocartparts OFFLINE  

Ohiocartparts
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 09:18 PM

going to change the filter also is the dipstick tube the fill also thanks in advanced

#7 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted October 18, 2016 - 10:28 PM

So your 782 is a later tractor?

Yes, "if" it's equipped with a dipstick, it would also be where you add fluid.

Did you happen to clean the diff and leave some paper towel or a rag behind and it got sucked up into the suction tube?

IF everything else checks out, a fluid and filter change would be next...

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,526 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 04:58 AM

Not knowing anything about this hydro. Does it have a release that might be stuck?

#9 nitro OFFLINE  

nitro
  • Member No: 71342
  • 46 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 06:50 AM

If the hydraulic lift works, the driveshaft and pump are ok.  If not, It is not uncommon for the spirol pins in the shaft to break, also could be called spring pins.  They sell a pin punch with a little nub on the end to drive them out.  The differential also acts as the hydraulic reservoir, either fill through a dipstick or a fill plug on the rear cover.  The relief valves should be automatic on a 782, If they aren't leaking at the little holes I think they are ok.  I highly recommend pulling the rear cover and cleaning the diff out regardless, no telling what kind of slop could be in there.

#10 48willys OFFLINE  

48willys

• Member No: 8184
  • 146 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 07:36 AM

Is it possible that when you replaced the engine the spiral pin didn't seat all the way into the drive coupler,and that's what your noise was? How are the rag joints? If it's a spiral pin make sure you replace it with another from cub, a normal spring pin isn't heavy enough.

#11 nitro OFFLINE  

nitro
  • Member No: 71342
  • 46 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 19, 2016 - 10:28 AM

Is it possible that when you replaced the engine the spiral pin didn't seat all the way into the drive coupler,and that's what your noise was? How are the rag joints? If it's a spiral pin make sure you replace it with another from cub, a normal spring pin isn't heavy enough.

They are available from McMaster Carr also.

• 48willys said thank you